Updates from the Emerald Princess-Feb 27-Mar 9

Rosethorn40

No luck on a price reduction. Spoke to two others that also saw the difference in the price quoted and the platter. One lady was told "Princess reserves the right to raise prices at anytime" and the other was told it was a misprint. The platter for today was finally right.

Last night we tried out dinner at the Crab Shack. Enjoyed it very much. You start off with Fried Shrimp and hush puppies, followed by a bowl of Manhattan Style Clam Chowder. My DH normally does not care for Manhattan style, as he prefers New England style, but even he proclaimed the soup delicious.

You have 4 entrees from which to pick, and it is a shared pot. We decided on the Emerald Steamer which included clams, mussels, shrimp, snow crab legs, as well as sausage, small potatoes, and 2 pieces of corn-on-the-cob. We asked for and they included a number of crayfish as well. Our waiter was very agreeable, and if you rather have more mussels, and fewer clams he will accommodate you. It was more than enough food. We went at 7:30 (Had reservations) and the place was full. We left a little after nine and the crowd had thinned out by then. It's opened 3-nights during the cruise and according to our waiter it has proven popular. DH wants to go back this Friday.

At peak times the service was a little uneven. I think they have a number of new crew that just joined the ship that are in the process of being trained.

The mussels, clams, and shrimp tasted fresh. Not 100% sure about the snow crab, but ours wasn't mushy.

Sounds like an excellent meal!!

Laura, when I was on princess four years ago, there was one night that was called "French night" and they served delicious escargot. Do they still do this French night" and do you know which night of the cruise it will be on? There are certain things we want to try like Balcony dining and the steak house but don't want to miss the night they serve the escargot.

graphics-snails-436027.gif

Laura, when I was on princess four years ago, there was one night that was called "French night" and they served delicious escargot. Do they still do this French night" and do you know which night of the cruise it will be on? There are certain things we want to try like Balcony dining and the steak house but don't want to miss the night they serve the escargot.

graphics-snails-436027.gif

Escargot was on the menu once last week I believe on International dinner night? Maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong.

You can also still order it 24 hrs in advance through the head waiter. Had a standing order each night throughout the cruise. Delish!!!:D

I also understand that UBD is only offered on certain nights. What are the odds that its available on the second night of the cruise (first sea day)?:confused:

I have not seen that.

Thought it was available everynight with a max of 4 per night usually.

Why is the maitre d' in charge of the Sanctuary?

The Maitre d'Hotel is in charge of all food/drink service areas on the ship and I suppose since food/drink is served there it was the logical mgmt team to assign it to. It's not entertainment nor activity and it's not really part of the hotel operations. I guess you'd have to ask Princess corporate why they chose to assign it that way, but the staff who work in the Sanctuary are part of the wait staff and report up through to the Maitre d'.

Edited by steelers36

I also understand that UBD is only offered on certain nights. What are the odds that its available on the second night of the cruise (first sea day)?:confused:

It usually is available every evening except embarkation day.

We were on the Emerald through New Years and there was not Crab Shack. Is there a charge for this? Where do they do it?

$20 in Café Caribe and I believe it's offered either 3 or 4 times during the cruise. Also, you can make reservations.