Cruise Explorer before drydock??

Espn

Considering booking Southern cruise in Nov or Dec to celibrate 30th anniversary on Explorer. I am a little concerned though about the condition of Explorer and need some first hand input. I have seen recent reviews that say the ship looks good but yesterday a year old thread was bumped that talked about how the ship badly needed refurbished, and this was a year ago. I want this to be a special vacation and don't want to feel like we are at a second rate resort.

What do you think?

Thanks. Don't really care about tv's and some of the other updates just don't want to see torn carpet and worn out furniture. If we book we will get a suite so i would hope those are getting attention where needed.

Thanks. Don't really care about tv's and some of the other updates just don't want to see torn carpet and worn out furniture. If we book we will get a suite so i would hope those are getting attention where needed.

We have been in a GS 3X on Explorer and it was lovely - nice upgraded furniture on the balcony - big flat screen TV

When is the Explorer supposed to be refurbished? I've looked all over and saw some sites saying December and others say February. But I can't seem to see any gaps between sailings.

Just got off Explorer this past NYE - it is fine - some cabins don't have flat screen and only specialty restaurant is Portofino - no big screen outdoors etc. etc. We already booked for next NYE out of PC which will also be before the refurb.

And the good news is that she still has Portofino! Portofino is an endangered species. :(

When is the Explorer supposed to be refurbished? I've looked all over and saw some sites saying December and others say February. But I can't seem to see any gaps between sailings.

Jen, RC keeps postponing it. There is no accurate published date yet.

Jen, RC keeps postponing it. There is no accurate published date yet.

Well that stinks. We were hoping that it would be done before we sail in February only because we enjoy the specialty restaurants and it looks like more will be added in drydock. :(

Edited by JenGang

Well that stinks. We were hoping that it would be done before we sail in February only because we enjoy the specialty restaurants and it looks like more will be added in drydock. :(

It doesn't look like a pre-February makeover is going to happen.

No one knows what they will do to the Explorer.

One rumor has her going to the Asian market. If so, the makeover will be HUGE, to appeal to that market segment.

If she stays nearby, the changes would be different, I believe.

I'm hoping for December! It would be so nice for our cruise to be after the dry dock. But unfortunately I think it'll be march. March 7th is the last date I see for her.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

And the good news is that she still has Portofino! Portofino is an endangered species. :(

Love Portofino's - sorry to see it will go.

I'm hoping for December! It would be so nice for our cruise to be after the dry dock. But unfortunately I think it'll be march. March 7th is the last date I see for her.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Afraid it definitely won't be December. :(

I Just got off the Explorer today, The ship is beautiful and very clean, the staff was wonderful. The Cruise Director was awesome and very talented. Go for it, you will not be sorry.. :) Ed

Who was it?

And do you remember the name of the activities manager? (referred to by some as the "assistant CD")

Last cruise finishes 12 March 2015.

Navigator dry dock was 4 weeks

Voyager dry dock 5 weeks in Singapore October 2014.

Easter Sunday 5 April 2015.

Would Royal would dry dock over Easter?

There are many unreleased schedules.

I would not read too much into Explorer's bookings only being available until March 12, 2015.

Yes, it COULD be for a drydock. But it could just be unreleased schedules.

I will say that when we booked our EOS cruise for Jan 2015 a few weeks ago, the RCCL rep told us she would just be coming out of dry dock. She could have just been going off older info, but who knows. It just stinks that there isn't a definitive date for the EOS dry dock.

I don't know the exact month, but she will cruise from PC for a period after leaving Bayonne and then be refurbished and then it's off to Asia. (unless this has changed that is).

Who was it?

And do you remember the name of the activities manager? (referred to by some as the "assistant CD")

His name was Leigh and his assistant was Andre (AKA Dre)

Edited by EddieSINY