Should I jump to NCL from RCCL?

Lucinarei

I've been planning to do an E. Med cruise for my tenth anniversary for a few years now. I've sailed with Princess and Royal Caribbean, and was planning to sail with RCCL to the Med. Now that summer 2015 cruises are available to book, I've been looking around and saw that NCL has an amazing Med cruise on Spirit that starts in Venice and ends in Barcelona, with an itinerary that beats anything RCCL has to offer. So… do I switch? What kinds of things should I look forward to on NCL? What is great (and not so great) about NCL?

Thanks in advance for any info I can use to make a decision. :)

NCL is very similar to RCCL except that NCL is freestyle all the time, not just part of the time. This means there are no set dining times and no formal nights. If you like set dining times and formal nights, stick with RCCL. If not, move to NCL for the better itinerary.

I don't think there are any "negatives" compared to RCCL because the lines are so similar (food quality, age of guests, ships, etc.)

I would think if you're going to give NCL a try, the Med would be the place to do it. I would like less formality and scheduling on such a port intensive itinerary. Plus, you say the itinerary is much better anyway.

Also, the Spirit is a beautiful ship. Really different from any other ship that NCL has, and just gorgeous.

Most agree that the entertainment on NCL is better, and those that don't like Second City on NCL need not concern themselves because Second City is not on any European cruises, as their humor is more American than anything else. I found RCCL food to be slightly better, but not enough to be a game changer, especially since the 12 day Venice to Barcelona has the greatest ports of any cruises I have seen listed anywhere.

Go for it! We cruised with NCL a few years ago & now I have a hard time going back to RCCL. NCL staff is great, ships are lovely, food is comparable. Freestyle dining is sooooo much better than MTD & on a Med cruise, would you really want to bother lugging formal wear?

Have a great cruise...........

The Spirit is a lovely ship (not full of bells and whistles - a 'proper' cruise ship)

The atmosphere on NCL is WAY better than RCCL - on NCL you are a valued customer - on RCCL you are a 'walking wallet' (in my experience). NCL crew are trying to give you a good experience (and succeeding almost all of the time) - RCCL crew seemed to regard passengers as a somewhat necessary embuggerance.

Admittedly, we only did a 4 day taster cruise on RCCL but it left a nasty taste - NCL can teach them a thing or two about service and organizing my time dining.

RCCL ships are nice - the rest of the experience was not as good as NCL (IMHO).

I've been planning to do an E. Med cruise for my tenth anniversary for a few years now. I've sailed with Princess and Royal Caribbean, and was planning to sail with RCCL to the Med. Now that summer 2015 cruises are available to book, I've been looking around and saw that NCL has an amazing Med cruise on Spirit that starts in Venice and ends in Barcelona, with an itinerary that beats anything RCCL has to offer. So… do I switch? What kinds of things should I look forward to on NCL? What is great (and not so great) about NCL?

Thanks in advance for any info I can use to make a decision. :)

My response is general, not specific, because we find the cruise experience with both NCL and RCI varies by ship! To summarise, we have sailed NCL 8 times (including the same itinery on the Spirit) you are considering and RCI 6 times.....we have never been disappointed.

The lines are similar, but different, and previous posters have given some insight.

IMHO it is highly unlikely you will be disappointed, and the itinery itself is truly fantastic......go for it, and enjoy.:)

Have sailed both RCCL and NCL. Both are good. I do like Freestyle better than what's offered n RCCL. As good as the entertainment is on a ship like Allure of the Seas, both my NCL Epic and Breakaway cruises offered even better entertainment.

Lots of excitement with NCL right now. And, they have some great deals currently. I just booked a Haven Suite on the Breakaway (2nd trip) for about the same price as a regular balcony cabin on RCCL. Excited about it given the Haven, Concierge, Butler included. Add to that, I received no charge Ultimate Dining Package, Ultimate Drink Package, and a $300 OBC, included.

I have no loyalty! I have been on both RCC and NCL, as well as Princess and CCL. But They both have their differences, some things better on one line than the other. I go for itinerary as my decision. Do what works for you, it's not like the cruise line really cares if you go to another one.

Royal has a better loyalty program (granted, you can earn points faster with NCL), some innovations NCL does not (but not all matter to everyone, like the flowrider), and a better selection of beverage packages with fewer restrictions (and not everyone needs to buy them in a cabin). Plus the Solarium on a Royal boats (especially Oasis class) is a wonderful spot for 16+ with a pool and hot tubs.

The newest NCL ships do seem like a better value than Royal Oasis class boats, especially for suites. Just switched my summer booking from Oasis (balcony) to Getaway (S5 Haven) and got the drink/speciality restaurant package. With the packages factored in, the costs are close (NCL maybe 100-200 more after perks). Plus NCL freestyle works better than other lines' version of it since it is all they offer. MDR service in a Royal and Carnival can be spotty by comparison.

My only beef with NCL is the sheer number of pay for extras on newer boats. Not saying the product is bad, just that I spend more on NCL cruises than other lines. Yes I know this is by choice, just something I've noticed. Royal has many too, but not as many.

Im just glad NCL is doing more summer Carib. cruises out of FL, it is the main reason I moved away from them. Very excited to sail the Getaway!

In my opinion the lines are similar in terms of overall experience. I'd sail either in a heartbeat.

Edited by JasonV1

I'm not as experienced as many of the cruisers here, and have not sailed RCI, but I was so happy with my NCL experience last summer and fully intend to stick with them. I'm really responding because if only the NCL itinerary includes Venice and/or Barcelona, you should definitely do it! I studied abroad in London during my junior year of college, and was lucky to travel quite a bit. Venice and Barcelona were two of my favorite places to which I have ever travelled. Beautiful, beautiful cities! The Gaudi architecture in Barcelona is so funky and cool, especially all of the mosaics in Park Guell. And the Picasso museum! Amazing! And there's a lovely aquarium....ayyyyyy I need to go back :)

I have never sailed on RCCL so no comparison here. I have done the Spirit Grand Med twice though.

This itinerary is all about the ports and not about what the ship has or doesn't have. Sea days are few and far between. Each day you will get up, eat, leave to explore, return, eat and then sleep. It is an incredible cruise with amazing and very exhausting days. Freestyle is perfect for this type of cruise as you get to decide what you are going to do and when. No running back to get ready for a fixed dinner time, no need to dress up in formal wear.

If it is the ports you want then go for it. The crew will care for you exceptionally well and you will love every moment.