Update on Seabourn -- Seatrade Insider article

travelinjones

The Windstar bit interested me- at last someone is doing a ship up in sea-appropriate colours, by the sound of it.

I have long wished SB would use colours like bleached wood/sand and blues from soft turquoise to navy blue for colour schemes instead of the current garish schemes. I did post something on this ages ago, but was told at the time it was of no interest to other passengers, which surprised me.

Of douse the feel won't be the same. The feel on the Odyssey class ships is completely different from the triplets and enlarging the ship further will inevitable change the feel. I'm not saying it will be worse, just different.

Of douse the feel won't be the same. The feel on the Odyssey class ships is completely different from the triplets and enlarging the ship further will inevitable change the feel. I'm not saying it will be worse, just different.

That's what I was angling for. Probably should have just said it. 600+ passengers is becoming fairly common out there. Heck, we are going to Alaska with just a few more than that.:eek::D

The dress code has diminished by 50% with some guests so it will even out the space issue.

I can still bring all of what I need for every occasion as another guest will bring one pair of trousers, one shirt,one pair of shoes and one pair of underpants that he will turn inside out and back to front for the entire cruise.we can space share.:rolleyes:

The dress code has diminished by 50% with some guests so it will even out the space issue.

I can still bring all of what I need for every occasion as another guest will bring one pair of trousers, one shirt,one pair of shoes and one pair of underpants that he will turn inside out and back to front for the entire cruise.we can space share.:rolleyes:

I like it. Similar to dollar cost averaging share purchases.:eek::D

One industry standard to measure "spaciousness" of a cruise ship is to divide tonnage by passengers. The new build will be 66 while the 3 newer ships are 71. The slight decrease to 66 is still at the top-end of the cruise industry.

It's funny- as in odd and also a bit of "ha ha".

My opinion is that the small ships, the triplets, did feel different. There was less room per passenger as far as space near that badly placed and shaded pool, the sky bar, the veranda restaurant and on deck generally, to name a few places. That effectively meant that sometimes you could not get a seat when most others had the same idea. And the library was tiny. This is far less of an issue, if it's ever an issue at all, on the larger ships. And about places which are private, the cabins, especially the bathrooms, were smaller and there were virtually no balconies.

I know that some use the word "intimate" to describe them and I would agree. But I value generous facilities and space on the new ships over the "clubiness"-intimacy of the old ships. It's apples and oranges to me.

Of course it's each to his own.

Happy sailing!

To me there is more space per passenger on the new ships, especially for being out of doors, and for outdoor eating and the casual restaurant. Where I feel the small ships were superior was in the design and decor of some of the public rooms, most notably the show lounge, the observation bar/lounge, and the club. The show lounges on the new ships are most unattractive and not user-friendly, with those appalling pillars.

Lincslady,

I think I might as well explain where the "ha ha" comes from. I will also substantiate where my view that space trumps intimacy on cruise ships originates.

I was on the maiden Odyssey cruise and was extremely impressed by the design and thoughtfulness of the architects. They had replicated the small ships in terms of where the public rooms, passenger cabins and elevators were but along the way tripled the space (my perception) for about double the passenger number. I wrote about this on this site that very first day on board.

That evening I went to the Club. I knew what to expect in terms of layout. Later I had my Eureka moment... A matron was at the bar near me as the place was filling up. She said loudly, possibly to no one in particular, "I don't like this room!". So I asked her what she meant and she said it was too big. She added that she could not set the social tone (whatever that means).

I have since decided that that's precisely why I much prefer the Odyssey class. No one sets the tone and I would just as soon that no one even attempts to do so.

Yes, space over "intimacy".

Happy sailing!

markham - I think I know what you mean about the 'social tone', and I do like the fact that the club on the new ships is in some ways similar in design to the little ones - the larger size does not bother me, but I am not too keen on the colour schemes in some of the rooms, particularly the observation lounge. Of course the other important difference is the pool - useless on the small ships. My DH and I agree that the most important improvement for us is the much quieter inside area of the Colonnade as against the Veranda cafe; when full it was unbearably noisy. The carpeting makes a big difference.

Markham,

I agree with the lady you met on the Odyssey maiden (which I was also onboard for.) I don't like the Club on the larger ships. It feels disjointed and unwelcoming. And every time I step in there the music is blaring. I rarely even go in there.

Markham,

I agree with the lady you met on the Odyssey maiden (which I was also onboard for.) I don't like the Club on the larger ships. It feels disjointed and unwelcoming. And every time I step in there the music is blaring. I rarely even go in there.

On a related note, what is it with amplified music or musicians at every possible venue? I absolutely hate trying to eat a nice meal with loud music around. Don't get me wrong, I was (am) a big fan of rock concerts and fully expect to be half deaf at the end but I was raised by an English Mother while going to Pubs with Uncle so learned that the primary purpose of drinking in public is conversation. Not referring to drinking at singles bars or Hard Rock, but bar venues on cruise ships. Turn it down so we might speak to each other. :D

Wripro,

This IS funny! The lady in question was acting like a grande dame- as if the

Club is her own drawing room. And I believe she found the room too large to manage for her purposes.

So... now I have to ask. What tone suits you (as in the case of the matron with whom you say you agree) that you would seek to impose on everyone?

I am glad that the Club on the Odyssey class ships does not lend itself to such practices.

Happy sailing!

Edited by markham

Markham,

Me too

The bands are usually poor also and too loud for guests to talk

Markham,

I do not seek to impose anything on anyone. I'm just saying I don't like the club on the larger ships and don't go there much, Others are welcome to go there as often as they like.

I much prefer, MUCH PREFER, the triplets. But that's just me and to each his own.

Markham,

I do not seek to impose anything on anyone. I'm just saying I don't like the club on the larger ships and don't go there much, Others are welcome to go there as often as they like.

I much prefer, MUCH PREFER, the triplets. But that's just me and to each his own.

Yes Me too MUTTTTTTTTCH PREEEEEEEEEEEEEFUUUURR

That evening I went to the Club. I knew what to expect in terms of layout. Later I had my Eureka moment... A matron was at the bar near me as the place was filling up. She said loudly, possibly to no one in particular, "I don't like this room!". So I asked her what she meant and she said it was too big. She added that she could not set the social tone (whatever that means).

Could you explain this please. Perhaps I don't pay enough attention to what people are doing in the club but I don't recall ever seeing one passenger set anything other than their own drink order:confused:

I think I know what Markham meant - on one of the small ships some years ago we went into the Club before dinner, to be looked up and down by a certain 'lady' (there may be more than one of these) who obviously found us wanting in elegance or something, and whilst she spoke to others on their way in, she ignored us completely, in a very deliberate way. Needless to say we did not care.

Going out on a fine limb here

One of the reasons I avoided SB for quite some time was the appearance on CC if you are not "in the club" then you are not welcome……. Sometimes CC needs to look at inclusive not exclusive

There were 2'clubs on our recent cruise

the official one and the young ins +staff who jammed together after everyone else had gone nigh nigh

I had the pleasure of hearing " the band" and the young ins at 3am… and boy was it good… music at its heart