Comparing two Regent offers

Mr Rumor

We received our Welcome Home Offer at the end of last week from Regent, just a little over two weeks after our return from our Caribbean cruise. As recently as 2012, Regent's post-cruise offer was much more welcoming: a 30-day extension of the Onboard Booking Savings, which could have a value ranging from hundreds to thousands of dollars, based on the category of suite booked. The 45-day Welcome Home Offer, however, is capped at $150 per passenger, for penthouse suites and higher. Concierge and Deluxe offers are at $125 and $100, respectively.

Fortunately the Onboard Bookings Savings can still be secured post-cruise by the onboard purchase of an Open Voyage Future Deposit Certificate. I know many of you are aware of, and have purchased, these certificates. But for those who aren't familiar with them, they cost $2,000 apiece (a maximum of three can be purchased at a time) are redeemable for up to two years, and are fully refundable until expiration.

We have purchased and redeemed two certificates to date, each within the 45-day Welcome Home Offer window. Our total savings was $1350 more than what we would have saved by accepting the Welcome Home Offers. We plan to purchase a third certificate on our May Alaska cruise and are hoping to redeem that one when booking the Explorer's maiden voyage in 2016. (It's hard to believe that by the end of this year--November, I'm thinking-- the first Explorer cruises should be open for booking.)

Regent, by the way, has made a change in the terms of the Future Deposit Certificate. The certificate used to satisfy the deposit requirement on any sailing fewer than 26 nights. Now, an additional deposit is required on sailings of 15 nights or longer. Both the older certificate and the newer one also contain the following "out" for Regent: "Onboard Savings may not be available on select sailings due to popular demand. A $200 Shipboard Credit per suite will be offered in the event Onboard Savings is closed." (Hmmmm, I just realized that if ever there is a "select sailing" closed to Onboard Savings due to "popular demand," the maiden voyage of the Explorer will probably be it.)

Even with Regent's tweak of the terms and its "select sailings" advisory, I find there's not much not to like about the Future Deposit Certificate. You just have to remember to either redeem it or request a full refund within two years from the date you purchase it--otherwise you're out the $2000!

Rich

jongbj, the main benefit of making an onboard purchase of a Future Cruise Deposit Certificate is that it entitles you to secure the equivalent of the "Onboard Savings" on a future voyage booked at home within two years of the purchase date (the cruise may commence outside of two years, you are just required to redeem--or get a refund on--the certificate within the two-year time frame). You may also benefit by paying a somewhat smaller deposit on the cruise you book than you would if you didn't have the certificate in hand. The certificate currently satisfies the new booking deposit requirement on all sailings of fourteen nights or fewer. Hope this is clearer.

By the way, the letter we received that accompanied our Future Cruise Deposit Certificate states that the certificates are also "Available for international guests, please see your onboard Cruise Consultant for further details." I take that to mean that the terms, probably including the cost of the certificate, will be different.

Speaking of cost, the $2000 charge for U.S. citizens is the amount a couple pays. Single guests can purchase a Future Cruise Deposit Certificate for $1000.

Regent doesn't go out of its way to pitch the Open Voyage Future Deposit Certificate. Mention of it was made in two brief notices in Passages at the end of our cruise. My hunch is that Regent would rather sell you a cruise than a certificate, but then would rather you buy a certificate before you debark than not open your pocketbook at all.

BTW, jongbj, I see that you're sailing the same Caribbean itinerary that we did last month. Hope you'll be treated to the same sunny skies and mild seas that we enjoyed.

Rich

Thanks we hope for sunny skies and calm seas also.

Well, thanks for the info, I have my eye on a cruise in november, so I'm planning of getting all the info on the on board booking options.

We purchased a FCC while on-board our March 2013 cruise because we just didn't know what we wanted to do. We finally chose a cruise and booked it in Dec 2013 for a November 2014 cruise. I have been trying to get our on board savings ever since i booked the cruise. I asked my TA repeatedly to find out what was happening with no success and finally called Regent myself to be told that our on-board savings had 'expired' in October. The agent i spoke with told me he would try and get it applied and would notify my TA. Well it has been 2 weeks and nothing. I will be contacting Regent again this week to find out what is going on. I am very disappointed in this turn of events but hope this will be worked out. Right now I feel like i was sold a lie. Why bother buying the certificate if you aren't going to get the on-board savings.

FCC's are good for two years (your TA should know that). Suggest speaking with a supervisor at Regent. Don't let this go.... a FCC purchased in 2013 has not expired!

Note: It sounds like your TA dropped the ball on this -- they should have had the on board credit applied using your FCC when you booked the cruise. The worst case scenario is that your booking will be cancelled and rebooked using the FCC (you would not pay a cancellation fee on this as the cancellation fee would go towards the new booking).

FCC's are good for two years (your TA should know that). Suggest speaking with a supervisor at Regent. Don't let this go.... a FCC purchased in 2013 has not expired!

Note: It sounds like your TA dropped the ball on this -- they should have had the on board credit applied using your FCC when you booked the cruise. The worst case scenario is that your booking will be cancelled and rebooked using the FCC (you would not pay a cancellation fee on this as the cancellation fee would go towards the new booking).

Not prepared to blame our TA at this point. Our FCC did go against the new booking. It clearly shows on our booking invoice from Regent so it is not a case of the FCC not being applied, it is a case of Regent not honoring the on-board savings on our cruise. Now I am hopeful this will be rectified but at this point we do not have our promised on-board savings applied to a cruise we booked within the 2 year allowed time frame.

Not prepared to blame our TA at this point. Our FCC did go against the new booking. It clearly shows on our booking invoice from Regent so it is not a case of the FCC not being applied, it is a case of Regent not honoring the on-board savings on our cruise. Now I am hopeful this will be rectified but at this point we do not have our promised on-board savings applied to a cruise we booked within the 2 year allowed time frame.

I see. Still suggest calling Regent and asking to speak to a supervisor. If that doesn't work, email Mr. Kamlani -- this needs to be resolved ASAP. I don't recommend emailing him often but, IMO, this case warrants it.

I see. Still suggest calling Regent and asking to speak to a supervisor. If that doesn't work, email Mr. Kamlani -- this needs to be resolved ASAP. I don't recommend emailing him often but, IMO, this case warrants it.

Thanks TC. My plan is to call and ask for a Supervisor and try and get to the bottom of this. If there is still no satisfactory resolution then i will email Mr. Kamlani.

I'm glad you posted about your experience with your Future Deposit Certificate, 1982CruzStart.

Referring back to Regent's "out" regarding Onboard Savings, the February, 2014 version of the certificate has this: "Onboard savings may not be available on select sailings due to popular demand. A $200 Shipboard Credit per suite will be offered in the event Onboard Savings is closed." (Hmmm, curious to know, 1982CruzStart, if you were offered this credit in lieu of the OS. I'm thinking this is a brand new tweak of the terms.)

This is what I'm guessing happened: Early bookings have been so strong for the November, 2014 cruise you booked that Regent one day last October decided to close the Onboard Savings. While the company may be on solid contractual terms in closing Onboard Savings a full eleven months before departure date, the action leaves a sour taste, and has the slight whiff of bad-faith dealing. I'd cry "Foul!" too.

Regent needs to make another tweak in the wording of their certificate, and that is to guarantee the OS for a reasonable period of time--say, one year--after a certificate is purchased. Also it should at least double the consolation prize Shipboard Credit in the event OS is closed. Two hundred dollars is stingy.

Good luck, 1982CruzStart, in securing your Onboard Savings--let us know how it goes!

Rich

Thanks Mr Rumor. We were not offered the shipboard credit in lieu. So they haven't even honored the change they made. Mind you having more shipboard credit on this cruise will not make up for the lost savings as we already have $800 in shipboard credit on a cruise where virtually everything is included.

The problem i have with this situation is that once you sell a customer something you should not be able to change the terms on the sold product. I have no problem with them changing the terms on new FCC but i find it very dishonest to sell something with certain terms and then change them when the terms no longer suit them. To me it is bad business.

You are correct that this is a very popular cruise. Every category is either guaranteed or wait listed. I assume if that continues at final payment there will be offers going out for people to change to other cruises.

The change to the FCC is not the only problem i am having with some of the things Regent is doing on this cruise but I am obviously not unhappy enough to cancel and take my business elsewhere. We like the Regent product but that may change if they keep changing a cruise after we put a deposit on it.

I will post what happens.

Thanks Mr Rumor. We were not offered the shipboard credit in lieu. So they haven't even honored the change they made. Mind you having more shipboard credit on this cruise will not make up for the lost savings as we already have $800 in shipboard credit on a cruise where virtually everything is included.

The problem i have with this situation is that once you sell a customer something you should not be able to change the terms on the sold product. I have no problem with them changing the terms on new FCC but i find it very dishonest to sell something with certain terms and then change them when the terms no longer suit them. To me it is bad business.

You are correct that this is a very popular cruise. Every category is either guaranteed or wait listed. I assume if that continues at final payment there will be offers going out for people to change to other cruises.

The change to the FCC is not the only problem i am having with some of the things Regent is doing on this cruise but I am obviously not unhappy enough to cancel and take my business elsewhere. We like the Regent product but that may change if they keep changing a cruise after we put a deposit on it.

I will post what happens.

Very sorry this happened to you and yes, it is a bad business practice to promise one thing and deliver a different thing. The problem lies in their Terms and Conditions which allows them to make changes as they see fit.

That being said, not being a lawyer, not sure if the T's and C's allow a change to a contract item such as the FCC that is provided in writing to you. Also have to be sure there is no language in the FCC allowing changes. Companies are often sneaky in how they limit their liability. As you know, it is your choice whether to take this cruise or continue cruising on Regent and we all learn later rather than sooner that we must read EVERYTHING before we sign a contract, book a cruise, purchase a FCC, etc.

Hope it all works out for you and Regent delivers what they promised.

Thanks RallyDave

Well i just spent a bunch of time writing a post to have CC log me off and I lost the post. Here goes again.

My TA contacted me and said that she will make good on the on-board savings that Regent isn't giving us. I am not sure how she found out i was unhappy with the situation as i didn't tell her unless the Regent agent i spoke with told her. I am happy we will get our savings in the form of a rebate but not impressed with Regent.

As per MrRumor they seem to now be telling people that they could end up not getting the on-board saving and giving a shipboard credit instead. At least that is better communication. We didn't have that and there was never any offer of shipboard credit in lieu of the savings lost.

Will we buy a FCC in the future or not - maybe not. Right now we only cruise with Regent once a year and it takes time for us to plan out where we are going so we aren't usually the first ones to book. Probably means we may always be out of the on-board savings window.

This process has left a sour taste in my mouth and not trusting what Regent may or may not change again.

CruzStart1982, I'm glad you have a resolution courtesy of your travel agent. As I thought about your situation a bit more I realized Regent probably was going to stand on its T&Cs and not risk having to pony up for other purchasers of Future Deposit Certificates it had originally declined to give Onboard Booking Savings to.

And, Dave, as someone who does a lot of contract work (though not an attorney, either) I can't argue with your always-read-the-terms advisory. Almost always I do. So why did I fail to focus on Regent's "out" language myself the two times I sat down with a Regent cruise consultant to purchase one? Was I temporarily impaired by the "warm fuzzies" at the end of an enjoyable cruise? Or did I put a little bit too much trust in the consultants, who volunteered advice about certain conditions (i.e. the certificate's expiration date, what length of cruise it would satisfy the booking deposit requirement on), but who didn't mention the one condition that could be a potential dealbreaker: Even though you are buying this certificate for the Onboard Booking savings, Regent reserves the right at any time, and without warning, to cancel the OBS?

Regent should instruct its cruise consultants to inform FDC purchasers of all the certificate's key conditions, not just some of them. And, as mentioned earlier, it should guarantee the OBS for at a period of time, and consider upping its present $200 shipboard credit offer in the event Onboard Savings is closed. These actions should help prevent the cries of "Foul!" from those unable to secure the OS on a particular booking.

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

CruzStart1982, I'm glad you have a resolution courtesy of your travel agent. As I thought about your situation a bit more I realized Regent probably was going to stand on its T&Cs and not risk having to pony up for other purchasers of Future Deposit Certificates it had originally declined to give Onboard Booking Savings to.

And, Dave, as someone who does a lot of contract work (though not an attorney, either) I can't argue with your always-read-the-terms advisory. Almost always I do. So why did I fail to focus on Regent's "out" language myself the two times I sat down with a Regent cruise consultant to purchase one? Was I temporarily impaired by the "warm fuzzies" at the end of an enjoyable cruise? Or did I put a little bit too much trust in the consultants, who volunteered advice about certain conditions (i.e. the certificate's expiration date, what length of cruise it would satisfy the booking deposit requirement on), but who didn't mention the one condition that could be a potential dealbreaker: Even though you are buying this certificate for the Onboard Booking savings, Regent reserves the right at any time, and without warning, to cancel the OBS?

Regent should instruct its cruise consultants to inform FDC purchasers of all the certificate's key conditions, not just some of them. And, as mentioned earlier, it should guarantee the OBS for at a period of time, and consider upping its present $200 shipboard credit offer in the event Onboard Savings is closed. These actions should help prevent the cries of "Foul!" from those unable to secure the OS on a particular booking.

Rich

Always great to read your eloquent posts Rich. Unfortunately I too sometimes fail to follow my own advice regarding reading the contract before signing. As to your last paragraph, would not be surprised if the cruise consultants are instructed not to inform purchasers of those clauses that might cause people to not purchase the FDC's. It is extremely common for sales people to avoid the negatives in a contract and concentrate the positives. If the consultants informed customers of all of the provisions, relatively sure a lot fewer FDC's would be sold.

As to your suggestions about guaranteeing the OBS and upping the OBC, highly doubt totally agree they should do that but, pretty sure that is part of their marketing strategy and any changes would impact their cash projections making any changes unlikely. But, hopefully I am wrong about this as these changes are positive changes that will help remove some of the negative thoughts floating around.

Mr Rumor I agree with you that it would have opened a can of worms for Regent to give me the OBS and not others. RallyDave, I do try and read the T&C's but on my contract it said the OBS was subject to change not that you could lose the whole thing. It is the old "Buyer Beware".

Anyway it is another lesson learned when dealing with Regent.

Mr Rumor I agree with you that it would have opened a can of worms for Regent to give me the OBS and not others. RallyDave, I do try and read the T&C's but on my contract it said the OBS was subject to change not that you could lose the whole thing. It is the old "Buyer Beware".

Anyway it is another lesson learned when dealing with Regent.

Is the option of cashing in the $2,000 FCC within two years of purchase gone?

My question was answered by my TA (verified by Regent).

Future Cruise Deposit Program is available exclusively for purchase by onboard guests, may not be applied to reservations made prior to the purchase date of the Future Cruise Certificate and are fully refundable until expiration date indicated on the Certificate. After the expiration date, the full value of the Certificate will be forfeited. The Certificate will satisfy the new booking deposit requirement and future payments will not be necessary prior to final payment date, with the following exceptions: Sailings 15 nights or longer; Penthouse Suite categories C and higher.

Once a voyage is selected, Certificate may not be transferred to another voyage and standard booking terms and cancellation penalties will apply.

SA_NOV13447-2

1982CruzStart: Just double checking that you purchased your FCC on board and didn't purchase the Welcome Home offer (apparently similar to FCC).

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat2, 1982CruzStart mentioned in her first post on this thread that she did, in fact, purchase her FCC while onboard a March, 2013 cruise. And the Welcome Home Offer is not purchased; rather, it is a 45-day promotional offer that Regent snail mails to just-returned cruisers.

Dave, I guess only time will tell what, if any, positive changes Regent makes on the matter of the FCC. DW and I are still planning to purchase our third certificate onboard the Navigator in May, figuring that even if the OBS is closed on a particular future cruise we decide to book, we're cruising frequently enough with Regent these days to still have a reasonable opportunity to secure the OBS with it on another cruise. And if, by chance, we don't have that second opportunity within the two-year window, we'll just request a full refund before the expiration date.

Needless to say, when we sit down with the cruise consultant next time, I'll be all ears when she/he describes the terms. And I'll carefully scan the documents looking for any changes in terms/conditions.

One tweak I trust Regent will have made by May: being consistent on the number of sailing nights that a FCC will cover! My February 6, 2014 certificate states that "Sailings 15 nights or longer will require additional deposit at the time of voyage selection." However, the letter that accompanied the certificate still has the old "Sailings 26 nights or longer" qualifier. Sloppy!

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

Travelcat2, 1982CruzStart mentioned in her first post on this thread that she did, in fact, purchase her FCC while onboard a March, 2013 cruise. And the Welcome Home Offer is not purchased; rather, it is a 45-day promotional offer that Regent snail mails to just-returned cruisers.

Rich

I know that 1982CruzStart said that they purchased a FCC while onboard, however, there is no reason that the FCC could not have been used if this were the case. My TA contacted two separate people at Regent and received the same answer. There has been no change in in the FCC's purchased on board policy. Our TA suggested that perhaps there was confusion with the Welcome Home Offer (which I am not familiar with).

1982CruzStart's story really concerned me which is why I asked our TA to follow up. Your understanding of the FCC is the same as mine so there must be a reason that we are not aware of why the FCC was not applied. The only conclusion I can come to is that the TA submitted it incorrectly (which could be why they are making good on the on board savings).

Hopefully people reading this thread will not think that they could purchase an FCC on board and have it change retroactively.

Edited by Travelcat2

Let me try to clarify TC.

I purchased the FCD on our last cruise in March 2013. I don't know anything about a Welcome Home offer. My FCD was applied to my booking correctly by my travel agent. What didn't happen and was not made clear to me in writing or verbally by the cruise consultant was that the on-board savings could be closed before i booked a specific cruise. Our FCD T&C's said that the on-board savings could CHANGE (not vanish) as you get closer to the cruise date. In our case we would receive no OBS on the cruise we picked. As well, at no time were we told by our TA or Regent that the OBS period was closed and therefore given the opportunity to not use the FCD on a cruise where we would get no OBS.

As far as whether Regent could change the FCD retroactively or not, I am not sure whether you consider a change retroactively applied or not in this case. Can they change the T&C's after you purchase one - yes they can as they did in our case. We received a letter in Sept 2013 telling us that the FCD no longer meets the deposit requirement for cruises between 15 and 26 days. That is a change after we purchased the FCD. Even in that letter they DID NOT tell us that the OBS could be non-existent on a cruise as we got closer to the cruise date.

My understanding from Mr Rumor is the FCD T&C's now say the on-board savings could be closed and that they are giving ship board credit in lieu of the missed OBS. That was not the case for us.

I am happy my TA rectified the situation. She is a TA that knows luxury cruising and deals with Regent all the time.

Let me try to clarify TC.

I purchased the FCD on our last cruise in March 2013. I don't know anything about a Welcome Home offer. My FCD was applied to my booking correctly by my travel agent. What didn't happen and was not made clear to me in writing or verbally by the cruise consultant was that the on-board savings could be closed before i booked a specific cruise. Our FCD T&C's said that the on-board savings could CHANGE (not vanish) as you get closer to the cruise date. In our case we would receive no OBS on the cruise we picked. As well, at no time were we told by our TA or Regent that the OBS period was closed and therefore given the opportunity to not use the FCD on a cruise where we would get no OBS.

As far as whether Regent could change the FCD retroactively or not, I am not sure whether you consider a change retroactively applied or not in this case. Can they change the T&C's after you purchase one - yes they can as they did in our case. We received a letter in Sept 2013 telling us that the FCD no longer meets the deposit requirement for cruises between 15 and 26 days. That is a change after we purchased the FCD. Even in that letter they DID NOT tell us that the OBS could be non-existent on a cruise as we got closer to the cruise date.

My understanding from Mr Rumor is the FCD T&C's now say the on-board savings could be closed and that they are giving ship board credit in lieu of the missed OBS. That was not the case for us.

I am happy my TA rectified the situation. She is a TA that knows luxury cruising and deals with Regent all the time.

Still does not coincide with what two Regent representatives told our TA. You are using the term "FCD" and I am using the term "FCC". Perhaps that is the difference? In any event, anyone buying a Future Cruise Certificate can still cash it in for the full $2,000 up to 24 months from the date of purchase.

Still does not coincide with what two Regent representatives told our TA. You are using the term "FCD" and I am using the term "FCC". Perhaps that is the difference? In any event, anyone buying a Future Cruise Certificate can still cash it in for the full $2,000 up to 24 months from the date of purchase.

TC, you're still misreading the original post. (The acronym is not an issue; call it Future Cruise Deposit Certificate, FCD, FCC -- everyone here is talking about the same thing.) 1982CruzStart did not say Regent wouldn't accept the $2,000 certificate; that would be fraud. The problem is that Regent is accepting the certificate at the $2,000 face value, without providing any benefit. As everyone seems to agree, the main benefit of making an onboard purchase of a certificate is that it entitles you to secure the equivalent of the onboard savings at a future date. No one would pay Regent $2,000 to let them hold your money for a year or two, simply to have them apply $2,000 when you eventually book a cruise. As 1982CruzStart said earlier, "Why bother buying the certificate if you aren't going to get the on-board savings?"

The question I'd have for 1982CruzStart is whether Regent was saying that 9 months after you purchased your certificate, they had taken away onboard savings for any cruise you might choose, or for the specific cruise you selected. If it's the latter, then I guess it's a typical "capacity control" methodology (comparable to the way airlines limit how many frequent flier awards can be used for free seats on any particular flight). But if Regent is saying that at some unspecified time after purchase of a certificate, without warning, you forfeit the possibility of getting any onboard savings when you book a cruise, that would seem to be unfair and bring us back to the question "why bother?" advancing Regent money for a certificate.

Eric