Travelers Cheques

Whimsy

I really can't see any reason why someone would use them these days. Princess may accept them but have fun trying to use them elsewhere. They are pretty much an anachronism these days.

I really can't see any reason why someone would use them these days. Princess may accept them but have fun trying to use them elsewhere. They are pretty much an anachronism these days.

Our credit union provides them at no cost. If I use an ATM I get hit with fees. I can cash them at the purser's desk and have cash for the islands. You raise a valid point that many places do not take them anymore but at least if I can cash them on board I am good and have a little security if something happens to them.

Most Princess ships have ATMs on board. However you plan to use it make sure your bank is aware that they may see some ATM in California. We found that out the hard way when we tried to use it on a cruise to Norway.

Roger, N7BU

I still use them, only when I cruise. I don't like carrying around a lot of money. This solves this problem.

Princess takes them and my bank takes them and those are the only 2 places that it matters to me.

The biggest reason is that Princess does accept them. We don't like to carry large amounts of cash, and our bank has no charge for the checks. There are no fees to cash them at the pursers' desk like we'd have for using an atm card in port.

We only use them for cruising, but we find them to be very convenient.

There are no fees to cash them at the pursers' desk like we'd have for using an atm card in port.

Of course if the port is one that does not accept US$, cashing them on board does not help very much.

I think I'll get some for the next cruise.

There's no problem turning them into cash at the purser's desk 24/7. For $10 bills if I so desire.

Plus I want my kids to see some for the curiosity. :)

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Edited by sminfiddle