How do you people afford all those cruises?

kekilia

We are retired 85 and 67 years of age. We have been cruising for 30 years.

Before we retired we had one major trip a year given work responsibilities...some years it was a cruise others it was a land trip overseas.

We both have been retired 15+ years now. Since retiring we do two cruises a year.

Our secret is.... cruising is a priority in our monthly budget... we save each month for the trips we have planned. We usually are booked out 1.5 years, so we know how much money we need to save. Presently we have a 14 day Transatlantic booked on Holland American's Neiuw Ansterdam, leave in April and will spend 3 days in Barcelona at th end of the trip. Transatlantics are cheaper than other cruises. The air is more expensive so we use FF miles whenever we can. Got a free flight back from Barcelona, only paid for a one way to Florida on our air. We are also booked in October on Celebrity for a 14 Mediterranean cruise out of Rome. In April 2015, we are booked on Princess with do a 10 out of our home port of San Francisco.

We book one cruise from our home port, San Francisco once a year or every other year... so we can cruise without air or hotel costs. That allows us to cruise for less.

We generally book a balcony or mini suite cabin because we enjoy being at sea and sitting on our balcony. Booking early sometimes we get a good deal, we also watch for cruise fare reductions and request them. Booking directly with the cruise line, we can control our booking and call the line directly for drops vs dealing with a travel agent. We transfer our booking at the very end when final payment is due to a TA. Some times we get a small obc from the TA.

We purchase FBC credits when on board, that saves us on deposit amounts and generally gives us some OBC.

We bring our own wine on board and pay corking fees.

We purchase beer on board 6 bottles for the cost of 5.

We don't gamble, do our own tours in port, seldom eat in a speciality restrauant and never use the spa.

In we usually spend about $70 a day, including auto tips on board.

We always tip extra for service to staff over above auto tip. We can have a very good time for a reasonable rate. Even though cruising is a real bargin, when you add it all up.. one does need to set aside some money to cover it all. I work part time 15 hours a week, for extra fun money and what I make goes to covering expenses for our trips. We need to feed our travel/cruise addiction. :D

DH & I are "semi-retired" and both work very part-time. He goes into his office a day a week. My current employer hired me for 2.5 days a week knowing we would be gone a month last fall and a month this spring. This is our travel money plus.

We had our kids when we were quite young, camped or visited relatives for 95% of vacations, paid for their college without having to burden them with student loans, etc. When they finally left the nest, we did, too!

Among our close circle of friends there are those who have a couple of vacation homes, another who wants a new car every year, those who rarely have a meal at home...for us, we travel. I feel I plan frugally by using ff miles for our flights, price-watching, and either diy'ing or sharing private tours in ports. We're fortunate to have our health and are 'wealthy' in blessings.

Edited by TMLAalum

We rob banks

Kruizefan: Wait for some bargain offers just 90 days before cruising...and more cruises are yours :-)

Happy Cruiser 6143: Yes' date=' my poor house is suffering, but it's paid for. I look around at potential projects and think--that's 2 or 3 cruises! The projects never seem to get funded.[/quote']

TMLAalum: Among our close circle of friends there are those who have a couple of vacation homes' date=' another who wants a new car every year, those who rarely have a meal at home...for us, we travel. I feel I plan frugally by using ff miles for our flights, price-watching, and either diy'ing or sharing private tours in ports. We're fortunate to have our health and are 'wealthy' in blessings.[/quote']

Interesting and enjoyable thread with a wide variety of comments. Like to hear more about how that "robbing banks" strategy is working. My wife just retired. Fortunately, I am still working, but I can have lots of flexibility to adjust work schedules for such travel. Still waiting on that big, big MegaMillions lottery win.

Excellent summary on priorities/choices by TMLAalum, our "neighbor" in NE Ohio. Travel can be fun and we are fortunate to have our good health, options/choices.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at over 40,798 views for this fun posting.

Edited by TLCOhio

We've been cruising about every other year since our honeymoon 1991. Budgeted and planned cruises. Now my husband can do some seminars at Sea, so on sea days he's in class and I go play. The group gives him some money for the seminar/travel (About $800 seminar, $1200 toward travel) . We have free hotel points We also get a discounted group rate on the rooms for the seminar. We rarely do ship excursions and we budget. We are "shaved our heads and drank the kool aid" Dave Ramsey, Financial Peace University fans- this is budgeted and and paid off before we fly. OH! And the one time we "splurged" on a Jr. Suite in Alaska- our room flooded twice..at 2am...I will never move beyond balcony and don't mind an inside (provided it's not over a lounge).

Karen

Edited by boingy300

No mortgage, no car payments, don't gamble, spend 1-2 hours a day looking for "specials", book early, use points for flights, loyalty program covers many items on board, watch for price drops/other benefits. I manage to cruise/travel about 12-14 weeks per year.

It says you live in Hawaii. If you like warm weather move to Miami. That will save you on airfares, as quite a few cruise lines have dozens of cruises from there. Book very early or very late, after final payment is due. Book lower rated cabins that are cheaper. If you smoke quit, that's $5.00 a day/ $1800 a year right there. Don't drive a 15 mpg SUV, drive a 40 mpg Prius. There are lots of ways to be frugal to have money for a cruise.

We use the federal 'E.V.T.' program (Equality in Vacation and Travel). This new government program provides two weeks of cruises every year- The idea is to insure more balanced vacation experiences between different socio economic classes. We started with Carnival Cruises but there is a class action suit to add Celebrity and HAL lines.

We use the federal 'E.V.T.' program (Equality in Vacation and Travel). This new government program provides two weeks of cruises every year- The idea is to insure more balanced vacation experiences between different socio economic classes. We started with Carnival Cruises but there is a class action suit to add Celebrity and HAL lines.

I'm sure SOMEONE will flag it, complain, and have it removed...:rolleyes:

But THAT is pretty darn funny! :D

I've been to Florida and I've been to Hawaii. No way in h*** would I move to Florida just so I could cruise more inexpensively!!! This is a joke, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm with you Cathy - you and I live in beautiful parts of the country and can't imagine living in Florida.

Sorry to my friends in Florida but they already know this. Even when I complain about the weather.

I've been to Florida and I've been to Hawaii. No way in h*** would I move to Florida just so I could cruise more inexpensively!!! This is a joke, right?

Wait a minute! When did you move to California? Where are you living now?

Yes it was a joke. However I used to live in Northern California and there is no way in h*** I would move back to that state and that's no joke.

Remember to cruise often because you will have all those memories well after your dead.:D

Wait a minute! When did you move to California? Where are you living now?

LOL! Hi! We moved back to California about 3 1/2 years ago! The bottom dropped out of the real estate market in our little corner of Idaho and there was nothing left for me to sell. We came back to Central California where our families are, good and bad parts to that!

I am working now for a 'large national telecommunications company' doing government and community relations--but my territory is mostly on the Eastern side of the Sierras, so we spend a lot of time on the road in beautiful country. It's worked out really well. I have 5 grandkids here that we seldom got to see so that's been a real treat. Eric's kids and 16 grandkids are in Utah, Idaho and Texas so we have lots of travel opportunities.

There are places in Florida that we like but I can't imagine moving there from Hawaii!;)

We still think of you and Jim and the fun we had. We are setting off on our third TA next month--we've gotten to love them! What's next for you guys?

Cathy

Just don't have kids ;).....the money that most people have to spend on kids, we spend on cruises instead. Double income, no kids, lets us fly business class to our cruises, cruise when and where we want, sail luxury or mainstream lines....other people might have kids to take care of them when they're older, but we'll have all of these amazing memories of traveling together while we were young.

But however you are able to afford to cruise, just get out there and do it!!

Michael

Edited by TxnAquarian

LOL! Hi! We moved back to California about 3 1/2 years ago! The bottom dropped out of the real estate market in our little corner of Idaho and there was nothing left for me to sell. We came back to Central California where our families are, good and bad parts to that!

I am working now for a 'large national telecommunications company' doing government and community relations--but my territory is mostly on the Eastern side of the Sierras, so we spend a lot of time on the road in beautiful country. It's worked out really well. I have 5 grandkids here that we seldom got to see so that's been a real treat. Eric's kids and 16 grandkids are in Utah, Idaho and Texas so we have lots of travel opportunities.

There are places in Florida that we like but I can't imagine moving there from Hawaii!;)

We still think of you and Jim and the fun we had. We are setting off on our third TA next month--we've gotten to love them! What's next for you guys?

Cathy

We've had 2 grandkids who now live 120 miles away, I had a total hip replacement on 2/19/14 and our next trip isn't until 11/4/14 for a Panama Canal cruise on Infinity. It marks our 10 year anniversary with Celebrity, same date, same ship & almost identical itinerary. We usually cruise 2x a year but because of my hip replacement, we are only going once this year :( Have been on lots of cruises since we last saw you though.

Work hard, live within your means, pay off the mortgage, and any other debt, don't borrow for a car, invest wisely.

We have lived in the same house for 28 years. It needs work, but I would rather spend the money on a cruise.

We would rather have 2 cruises a year, than one in a suite.

We worked our way up the loyalty ladder in Oceanviews, and now get a balcony for the same price.:)

Is there some secret to cruising regularly that I am not aware of? I just booked my second cruise in 10 years and it is costing me a fortune for a Sky suite, specialty dining and beverage package, let alone the flight and hotel stays. Is everyone out there a billionaire or am I just paying rack rates stupidly? I researched a bunch of online cruise sites, but Celebrity offered just the same price for the cabin I wanted. So what gives, get up off your secrets to great cruising, I want to join you....

I'd suggest that you forgo the Sky suite and opt for a different category of cabin that may be more in line with your budget. That being said it helps not to have a mortgage, the kids are grown and on their own, being debt free and paying credit cards and bills as they come in. It all helps to have more disposable income. Skip the Sky suite unless you can really afford it and take something less ambitious. Enjoy your cruise!

I'd suggest that you forgo the Sky suite and opt for a different category of cabin that may be more in line with your budget. That being said it helps not to have a mortgage, the kids are grown and on their own, being debt free and paying credit cards and bills as they come in. It all helps to have more disposable income. Skip the Sky suite unless you can really afford it and take something less ambitious. Enjoy your cruise!

Yep. And skip the speciality dining package, too. If the included 'free' food doesn't suit you, try another cruise line that offers 'better' food.

And occasionally cruise lines offer the Bev packages for the free. Celebrity is doing that right now with their 123go (or pick your perk) offers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

But however you are able to afford to cruise, just get out there and do it!! Michael

Very wise and important final thought, urging from Michael. Don't only talk about things and/or be waiting for a "better time" to get such cursing done. Make this type of travel, adventure, exploring, learning, etc., a priority. If you wait too long, then health and/or world events might limits some future travel options.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at over 41,191 views for this fun posting.

I'm sure SOMEONE will flag it, complain, and have it removed...:rolleyes:

But THAT is pretty darn funny! :D

Wow. It's still there! sad to say, it's more truth than poetry nowadays.