ONLY for those who have TRIED IT

For those of you that have tried to get breakfast delivered to your cabin with use of the in-room room service breakfast card...

Did you succeed (and on what ship)?

Every time (and on what ship)?

How did you do it(and on what ship)?

Epic fail(and on what ship)?

I've heard it can be done...but not dependable. I am taking my 74-year old mom on a cruise in a few days and would love to surprise her with poached eggs on wheat toast. :cool:

Edited by Alwaysacruiseinthequeue

Breakfast in any cabin on any ship is always going to be hit and miss. Usually a miss, by the time it is delivered to you it is usually cold. Unless you are lucky enough to get a cabin next door to the Room Service Kitchen. We usually only go for Coffee, Fresh Fruit and maybe Pastries. I think the Egg option is restricted and Poached is not one of them on the standard menu.

Edited by ChipLondon

We used it most days on Liberty Last year and found it fine. We were in a Standard Balcony cabin not suite passengers

they phoned the cabin to tell us it was on it's way in say 15 min or so - and it did indeed arrive.

The orange Juice was the good stuff even though we didn't order the (Paid for) stuff - bonus !

The eggs available were scrabbled and were fine - not smoking Hot but eatable - and came sometimes with a very nice Hash Brown.

The Coffee was not that good - and the water for the Tea was never hot enough for me but I am a Brit and love Boiling Hot tea !!

We ordered via the card on the door and it worked for us - although I have heard on some on the forums about kids messing about in the early hours and taking the cards off - naughty things !!

Enjoy - saves the scrum in the WJ every morning

Edited by crafty sue
missed info

We have tried in-cabin room service on Freedom, Liberty and Allure. Succeeded in getting breakfast on time every time. Nothing fancy, though--fruit, pastries, coffee, basic bacon & eggs, that kind of thing. You can get much better breakfast food in the MDR, Park Cafe, and other venues. I would definitely not expect poached eggs--never saw that on any room service menu on Royal.

For those of you that have tried to get breakfast delivered to your cabin with use of the in-room room service breakfast card...

I've heard it can be done...but not dependable. I am taking my 74-year old mom on a cruise in a few days and would love to surprise her with poached eggs on wheat toast. :cool:

I did this on Explorer of the Seas.

Only did it once because I wasn't impressed with the food or experience.

I filled out the form, put it on the door and they called around the time I listed and delivered the food.

Breakfast room service wasn't an epic fail, but it was less than what I thought it would be. The food arrived cold, and the person delivering it said I listed the wrong stateroom number and told me there was no stateroom number that I listed. Finally the food arrived, but it was cold.

Personally I would rather just get up, shower, and head down to the main dining room for a better experience and overall fresher food.

Edited by Tyler80

We have ordered numerous times and it has always been correct. HOWEVER- when you pick a time, it is a window (6-7, 7-8). we always got it at the earlier time, so if we ordered the 6-7, it arrived right around 6. Not sure that it always be that way but just a consideration- that you are ready for it.

We have used room service on every class of ship except Freedom class since we've never sailed on that class.

Eggs are not as hot as you would have them in the dining room. We were close one time to the room service kitchen and found our items to be much warmer. We no longer bother with eggs of any kind.

Normally we order coffee, fruit, pastries, and cereal. The milk is never as cold as I like it, so I pour it over ice and then into my cereal. Mostly we order on days we have an early excursion and want to get out the door. Not sure how discerning your mom is about the temperature of her meals. If in a suite and able to order the result could be fine. Probably for poached eggs, heading to the main dining room will provide a better result.

Yes, Voyager and Freedom OTS, plus Carnival Conquest and Magic.

Always came within the requested/expected time. RCL does call when the breakfast is leaving the galley, Carnival does not.

Room service door card, same ships.

No "epic" fails. Just a few "learning curve" type things, such as the fact that OJ comes in something only slightly larger than a shot glass, but these were "user error" and we adjusted them on the next order.

I've never seen poached eggs on the room service breakfast menu. As others have mentioned, it's usually pastries and other "buffet" type breakfast stuffs. I've had good luck walking into the dining room and asking for plates "to go" when someone was feeling under the weather (not noro!) You could surely get this (and be sure it's hot and fresh) if you were willing to make the walk.

Enjoy the cruise with Mom!

I have had it on Serenade and Freedom. It wasn't bad. Not the best coffe in the world, but I deal with it! The food on neither ship was as piping hot as you get it off the buffet at the Windjammer or ordering it in the MDR, but it was warm enough to be edible, but I really wasn't expecting piping hot as I know there was going to be some distance traveled to get to my room. :cool:

Ordered breakfast using the cards in April on Mariner. They always got it there and on time. Portions were small, but just ordered more after the first time. Food was hot and along the lines of a basic breakfast from Waffle House or Dennys. Don't expect to get room service from a high end hotel or resort and you won't be disappointed. Still better than getting up and making it yourself, when you want to stay in bed. Tip the person who brings it a buck or two per tray and you will get great service each time.

We use the card once, maybe twice each cruise and have never had any issues. Scrambled eggs are pretty much what you will scoop out of the tray in the WJ, just not as hot. We usually order things like fruit and yogurt and coffee. Like others have said the coffee isn't the greatest but it gets the job done...

I guess the only problem I have had was trying to cancel the order. Last month on Explorer, we decided to go to the MDR instead (our usual choice) so I called room service to let them know. When we came back upstairs, our cabin attendant told us that our order was still brought up and they couldn't understand why we wouldn't answer the door!:rolleyes:

We ordered room service breakfast nearly every day on the Indy a couple weeks ago. The menu was limited, so we ordered the same thing every day. Near the end of the week, it seemed like pickings got slim for the "plate of pastries" option, because we were given 3 rolls from the MDR dinner the night before instead of the fruit-filled pastries and croissants that were the norm the other days. :eek: We also tried to order a yogurt that was anything but strawberry and banana...guess what kind we were given? (I hate bananas.)

My husband enjoys having coffee on our balcony as we're sailing, which is why we always order room service breakfast. We never order room service in hotels, so we enjoy it on a cruise. Plus, we tried the WJ one day and it was a zoo!

Have a good cruise!

We have ordered pre-breakfast (coffee, Pastries, fruit) numerous times with no problems. I have known, but never experienced, some drunks comes down the hallway and adds a bunch of stuff to a left out order card.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

:cool:

Yes, on the Freedom and Oasis

Yes, on the Freedom and Oasis

Filled out the card, put it on the door, on the Freedom and Oasis

Never did have any problems ordering room service breakfast.

Don't know how your mom likes her poached eggs, but they usually come "well-done", in other words on their way to being hard-boiled. I order them in the MDR and I ask for them VERY, VERY SOFT/ Runny liquid-y yolks, and then they usually come like an average poached egg that you would cook at home. Ordering them from room service might be iffy for this reason (if you can even get them from room service). Just FYI...as you can tell I am a little picky about my poached eggs, but they are my favorite style of eggs and I like them the way way I like them!!!:D Good Luck!:)

Used Room Service for breakfast every morning on Oasis in November 2011 (so its been a while). Always ordered the pastry plate and coffee for 7am. Received a phone call when it was on its way, food was always what I ordered, service was great. We used the hanging car and put it on the door the night before,

Nice peaceful way to start the morning, we were in a standard balcony.

When the rest of the family woke up we went to a second breakfast.

Usually a couple times on a 7 night cruise, using the card. It's always shown up on time. I think the window you pick is 30 minutes. Food is usually warm enough, obviously not hot. It's a good way to avoid the windjammer chaos on port days.

I have used cards on Voyager and Explorer and Allure. I think I may have used the TV to order on Allure too, don't really remember.

Never an issue with delivery; would get a call and the food arrived within a few minutes of the call, and always within desired time window. Hot food was not very good. Coffee and fruit plate are a nice way to wake up and like another person said, we treated it like a breakfast appetizer so to speak.

We have used room service with the hanging card several times on the Adventure. Always show's up with in the selected time.

You do receive small portions - I love hashbrowns so I always order an extra plate of those with my breakfast.

I think using the card is much faster than if you called in the morning. Just be as specifc as possible on the card because it will be hard to get more by calling in.

~Enjoy :)