AARP Supplemental for Foreign Med coverage

zorrosuncle

Hi -- Will AARP Supplemental pick up my medical expenses on a foreign cruise; apparently, Medicare won't. And AARP seems to be tied into that, so I have my doubts.

I tried to get the same commercial coverage that I had last trip for 1 million dollars, but now the insurance company will no longer write plans for New York State residents. The best I can get with another company is for $250,000which I feel is inadequate for foreign medical costs.

I already have the Platimum plan from HAL but the medical part is grossly inadequate. I am fairly healthy with no recent pre-existing problems

ZU

Hi -- Will AARP Supplemental pick up my medical expenses on a foreign cruise; apparently, Medicare won't. And AARP seems to be tied into that, so I have my doubts.

I tried to get the same commercial coverage that I had last trip for 1 million dollars, but now the insurance company will no longer write plans for New York State residents. The best I can get with another company is for $250,000which I feel is inadequate for foreign medical costs.

I already have the Platimum plan from HAL but the medical part is grossly inadequate. I am fairly healthy with no recent pre-existing problems

ZU

Many Medicare Supplemental policies only offer $50,000.00 in out of country medical coverage minus a 20 percent deductible, lifetime maximum. How much coverage does AARP offer?

You need to very carefully review any Part B Medicare Supplemental Policy. I don't know your specific policy but some (many) have a lifetime out of country limit of $50,000 and some may not pay anything if Medicare doesn't pay. As you know, Medicare will not pay out of U.S.

I recently saw a small pieced about Blue Cross Massachusetts has partenered with some entity and is going to have an optional policy that will cover for international travel. It will have an annual premium. I haven't looked into it yet buy anyone who has Blue Cross as their Supplemental to Medicare might want to call 888-366-3212. I marked down that number when I saw the article but don't know if it is only offered in Massachusetts or pertains to other/all states.

I would not count on our Part B Supplemental to pick up 'all' medical bills for illness or injury while traveling internationally. I would purchase a medical/evacuation/repatriation policy without any cancellation coverage. The premiums are very low when you remove cancellation coverage.

You folks might want to Google the "GeoBlue" plan (also sold through HTH) which is part of the Blue Shield/Blue Cross network. They sell an annual travel policy (I believe it covers the first 70 days of any trip throughout the 12 months policy period) and premiums are pretty reasonable (DW and I pay a total of $350 a year...and that is for 2 Seniors).

As to Medicare Supplemental Policies, there are several government authorized "models" of which a few do provide some international coverage and others have zero international coverage. So, as has been posted, you need to carefully read your own policy...and if you are not clear on the coverage call your carriers toll free number. And by the way, I spent over 30 years working in the government Health Insurance Industry and still do not understand a darn thing :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

as with other issues - please don't take the word of the person in customer service of any of the AARP providers. Ask for a copy of the plan language.

I was amazed to find that some Medicare supplements have extremely limited coverage for out of area, the plan I worked for a couple of years ago did not cover anything outside the county - much less the country!!

Plans vary so widely. I have a supplemental plan through Colorado PERA and we had a choice of two Blue Cross plans.... I took the one which does cover out of country... but I also carry added insurance when I travel, particularly when it comes to getting home in less than stellar condition from heaven knows where - and of course trip cancellation. You need to read each plan with care. Take time to really do research.

Susan

In my opinion the best coverage to get, if it's offered in your area, is a 5-star Senior Advantage plan. This is NOT a supplemental plan like AARP offerings. It's integrated with Medicare, and the provider is usually a PPO or HMO, and it's a one-stop type of health insurance. No Medicare pays, then the secondary pays. It's based on copays only, maximum out of pocket, etc.

For instance, we have Senior Advantage in CA with Kaiser. We pay $25 in addition to our Medicare premiums. Doctor visits are $10, generic drugs for 100 day supply is $12. We are covered anywhere in the world, including medical evacuation. Our maximum out of pocket is $5,900 each per year.

Because out-of-area claims are on pay-first then get reimbursed, I purchased an annual plan with AirMed for us both for $350.

Otherwise, wherever we are gets approval for treatment from Kaiser, and we are covered.

I have coordinated senior health coverage for my sister, father and MIL for years, and I also worked in the health insurance field for about 16 years, so keeping up on Medicare and integrated coverage has become a part-time job for me (unpaid, of course). I do not like supplemental coverages (pay as a secondary) and I LOVE Senior Advantage coverage.

http://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change-plans/medicare-health-plans/medicare-advantage-plans/medicare-advantage-plans.html

Edited by pcur

In my opinion the best coverage to get, if it's offered in your area, is a 5-star Senior Advantage plan. This is NOT a supplemental plan like AARP offerings. It's integrated with Medicare, and the provider is usually a PPO or HMO, and it's a one-stop type of health insurance. No Medicare pays, then the secondary pays. It's based on copays only, maximum out of pocket, etc.

For instance, we have Senior Advantage in CA with Kaiser. We pay $25 in addition to our Medicare premiums. Doctor visits are $10, generic drugs for 100 day supply is $12. We are covered anywhere in the world, including medical evacuation. Our maximum out of pocket is $5,900 each per year.

Because out-of-area claims are on pay-first then get reimbursed, I purchased an annual plan with AirMed for us both for $350.

Otherwise, wherever we are gets approval for treatment from Kaiser, and we are covered.

I have coordinated senior health coverage for my sister, father and MIL for years, and I also worked in the health insurance field for about 16 years, so keeping up on Medicare and integrated coverage has become a part-time job for me (unpaid, of course). I do not like supplemental coverages (pay as a secondary) and I LOVE Senior Advantage coverage.

http://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change-plans/medicare-health-plans/medicare-advantage-plans/medicare-advantage-plans.html

You just made my day!! I believe we will be getting something similar at age 65, called Medicare Advantage. I am a retired teacher. If that is the case, I won't have to worry about buying supplemental insurance----I hope!

You just made my day!! I believe we will be getting something similar at age 65, called Medicare Advantage. I am a retired teacher. If that is the case, I won't have to worry about buying supplemental insurance----I hope!

As those of us over 65 in the US know, signing up for medicare can be quite confusing. After seeing a couple of comments on this topic, I wanted to point out that Medicare Suppliment polices are quite different than Medicare Advantage ones and thus the coverage varies alot.

My best advice is to go to Medicare.gov and research this for yourself, as each person's situation is different and thus there is no one "best" policy for everyone. There is no shortcut to this - you must do your own homework (no copying off of others!).

DaveOKC

As those of us over 65 in the US know, signing up for medicare can be quite confusing. After seeing a couple of comments on this topic, I wanted to point out that Medicare Suppliment polices are quite different than Medicare Advantage ones and thus the coverage varies alot.

My best advice is to go to Medicare.gov and research this for yourself, as each person's situation is different and thus there is no one "best" policy for everyone. There is no shortcut to this - you must do your own homework (no copying off of others!).

DaveOKC

VERY good advice, Dave.

What works for one person may not be best for someone else and plans can be so different from state to state. Advantage and Supplemental Policies need to be researched and compared individually. They are not the same.

they didn't even cover my onboard care for something that happened in FT. Lauderdale before the ship even left port. I had to submit the claim, wait for a rejection and then file with my cruise insurance carrier. I was eventually paid but for some reason the service office in Jacksonville didn't recognize Lauderdale as in the US.

DaveOKC

VERY good advice, Dave.

What works for one person may not be best for someone else and plans can be so different from state to state. Advantage and Supplemental Policies need to be researched and compared individually. They are not the same.

That's why I included the link in my post, because the Advantage programs are different depending on where you live.

Supplemental coverages are more expensive and cumbersome. They are good if one needs extra, extra coverage like more nursing home days paid.

My MIL had one before I switched her to Medicare Advantage, and she paid about $300 a month for herself, plus had to pay for Medicare Part D for drugs for another $60 a month, PLUS the usual Medicare Part B premiums. When I switch her to Kaiser Sr. Advantage she saved thousands of dollars a year, plus I didn't have to deal with the double paperwork.

I advocate for Medicare Senior Advantage plans because I dealt with supplemental plans for my father and mother, too. My Dad had "Cadillac" coverage as a retired US Civil Service pension recepient. He got better and cheaper coverage with the Kaiser Sr Advantage. I want people to know these plans are available, because most people never heard of them. They are fairly new on the market, and not really pushed too much by the insurance companies because they don't make as much money on them.

Homework is always needed, I agree, but many people just go to the "big" insurance carriers like Aetna, Humana, etc., and don't even know they also have these Advantage plans.

Edited by pcur

That's why I included the link in my post, because the Advantage programs are different depending on where you live.

Supplemental coverages are more expensive and cumbersome. They are good if one needs extra, extra coverage like more nursing home days paid.

My MIL had one before I switched her to Medicare Advantage, and she paid about $300 a month for herself, plus had to pay for Medicare Part D for drugs for another $60 a month, PLUS the usual Medicare Part B premiums. When I switch her to Kaiser Sr. Advantage she saved thousands of dollars a year, plus I didn't have to deal with the double paperwork.

I advocate for Medicare Senior Advantage plans because I dealt with supplemental plans for my father and mother, too. My Dad had "Cadillac" coverage as a retired US Civil Service pension recepient. He got better and cheaper coverage with the Kaiser Sr Advantage. I want people to know these plans are available, because most people never heard of them. They are fairly new on the market, and not really pushed too much by the insurance companies because they don't make as much money on them.

Homework is always needed, I agree, but many people just go to the "big" insurance carriers like Aetna, Humana, etc., and don't even know they also have these Advantage plans.

Are the Advantage Plans the ones that may be eliminated under new Medical Plans? I thought I read the cuts in Medicare for ACA will either reduce or eliminate some of those plans?

Or am I totally confused? :o

Are the Advantage Plans the ones that may be eliminated under new Medical Plans? I thought I read the cuts in Medicare for ACA will either reduce or eliminate some of those plans?

Or am I totally confused? :o

No, they are not being eliminated. If you are referring to the changes announced on 2/28/14, this was the normal Medicare report that talks about proposed changes based on claims activity and expenses analyzed the previous year.

Medical costs are fluid, and adjustments are made every year. For instance, what happened to our Senior Advantage coverage for 2014 was Medicare Part B premiums (taken out of Social Security checks every month) stayed the same; we got a small SS increase; our additional Kaiser Senior Advantage monthly premiums stay the same at $25 a month. Our benefits changed to an increase of $2 per prescription for generic, we paid more for the first 5 days for hopitalization and less after that, CT scans went up $25, and our annual out of pocket maximum went from $3,400 to $5,900.

"Cuts" is a frequently used term in the media for Medicare news. Cuts can be decreased payments to providers because they were more cost-efficient last year, or cuts to what Medicare pays so your pay $2 more for your prescription drugs. It usually doesn't mean a whole program is eliminated.

Senior Advantage plans are only approved by Medicare for the best insurance companies that keep their costs down and work efficiently. The company has to be 5-star rated by Medicare to even be approved to offer the plan.

Edited by pcur

My job, for the next 26 days, is working for a health care system. I contact insurance companies to make sure they have approved a surgery before a patient comes in. Kiser is not in our area so I don't know anything about it. I will say that myself and everyone I work with, would never sign up for a Medicare Replacement plan. Why you ask, because we see the end result of them not approving all surgeries for a patient. Almost all require prior authorization of a surgical admission and many out patient surgeries. This does not happen quickly and many times, the surgeon is on the phone with the insurance company, arguing at the last minute the necessity of the surgery. The black and white reads if they don't approve it and it's done, they don't have to pay for it. The doctor is not going to risk being out thousands of dollars and nor will one of our hospitals. You would be required to sign a form stating you will pay for it if the insurance company doesn't if they haven't approved it. I'm not trying to sell anything by any means.

Myself and 2 immediate co-workers are Medicare age. We all did a lot of research on the plans and knew what questions to ask the insurance companies. We have all chosen straight Medicare A&B, along with a well researched supplement. I retire in 26 days. I can go to any doctor and use any hospital I want. I am not limited. All of the doctors and hospital in our region, would rather have patients on Medicare A & B with a good supplement plan. I have friends on the west coast who are forced to use the Kiser network. Many do not like the doctors they HAVE to use. Just saying what they tell me. I'm sure there are many who are very pleased with their providers. What happens if you go outside of the Kiser network?

Diane

Edited by legalslave

No, they are not being eliminated. If you are referring to the changes announced on 2/28/14, this was the normal Medicare report that talks about proposed changes based on claims activity and expenses analyzed the previous year.

Medical costs are fluid, and adjustments are made every year. For instance, what happened to our Senior Advantage coverage for 2014 was Medicare Part B premiums (taken out of Social Security checks every month) stayed the same; we got a small SS increase; our additional Kaiser Senior Advantage monthly premiums stay the same at $25 a month. Our benefits changed to an increase of $2 per prescription for generic, we paid more for the first 5 days for hopitalization and less after that, CT scans went up $25, and our annual out of pocket maximum went from $3,400 to $5,900.

"Cuts" is a frequently used term in the media for Medicare news. Cuts can be decreased payments to providers because they were more cost-efficient last year, or cuts to what Medicare pays so your pay $2 more for your prescription drugs. It usually doesn't mean a whole program is eliminated.

Senior Advantage plans are only approved by Medicare for the best insurance companies that keep their costs down and work efficiently. The company has to be 5-star rated by Medicare to even be approved to offer the plan.

What happens if you go out of the Kiser Network? Can you go to any doctor or hospital you want or do you have to go to a Kiser facility?

Diane

Diane

My job, for the next 26 days, is working for a health care system. I contact insurance companies to make sure they have approved a surgery before a patient comes in. Kiser is not in our area so I don't know anything about it. I will say that myself and everyone I work with, would never sign up for a Medicare Replacement plan. Why you ask, because we see the end result of them not approving all surgeries for a patient. Almost all require prior authorization of a surgical admission and many out patient surgeries. This does not happen quickly and many times, the surgeon is on the phone with the insurance company, arguing at the last minute the necessity of the surgery. The black and white reads if they don't approve it and it's done, they don't have to pay for it. The doctor is not going to risk being out thousands of dollars and nor will one of our hospitals. You would be required to sign a form stating you will pay for it if the insurance company doesn't if they haven't approved it. I'm not trying to sell anything by any means.

Myself and 2 immediate co-workers are Medicare age. We all did a lot of research on the plans and knew what questions to ask the insurance companies. We have all chosen straight Medicare A&B, along with a well researched supplement. I retire in 26 days.

Diane

Many of the Medicare Advantage programs are with PPO and HMO coverage, which means the doctors and hospitals are integrated. There's no approval necessary, because it's all being administered within the HMO and PPO. These are the better choices. Like I said: one-stop coverage, and no coordination of benefits between Medicare and the insurance company.

What happens if you go out of the Kiser Network? Can you go to any doctor or hospital you want or do you have to go to a Kiser facility?

Diane

Diane

All PPO and HMO's require that you use their doctors and other providers. They have processes in place if you have an emergency outside of their area. Humana, Aetna, and other Senior Advantage carriers are the same.

Well, we can see by the most recent replies, that my comment on doing your own homework is correct!

I started researching this a year ago when my Mom had a stroke and her Advantage plan (supported by GM), did not cover alot of her care. Then I was turning 65, so I had to figure it out for my situation.

While I am not going to get into a discussion of the pros and cons of each, I do want to point out that the Advantage plans "are not really part of medicare". Medicare basically pays the plan to supply coverage for you. I was shocked to learn this (from the nursing home administrator my Mom was in), so I bet most folks do not know this as well.

Again, since everyone had their own medical issues, IMO no one approach will be the "best" for everyone. Each person has to fully examine each approach, considering their situation, before deciding which way to go.

And, if at all possible, talk to a pro in the field.

DaveOKC

While I am not going to get into a discussion of the pros and cons of each, I do want to point out that the Advantage plans "are not really part of medicare". Medicare basically pays the plan to supply coverage for you. I was shocked to learn this (from the nursing home administrator my Mom was in), so I bet most folks do not know this as well.

Again, since everyone had their own medical issues, IMO no one approach will be the "best" for everyone. Each person has to fully examine each approach, considering their situation, before deciding which way to go. DaveOKC

That's what I was referring to when I said above that Senior Advantage plans are "integrated" with Medicare. They pay benefits in addition to Medicare, but they administer all the care and you only deal with the one provider.

Nursing home coverage is a whole different ball game, and that's not what I am talking about in my posts.

My Kaiser Senior Advantage does not cover any more than the basic 100 days that Medicare covers, but the copay for that entire 100 days with our Senior Advantage plan is a total of $4,500. My MIL just got released last Saturday from a skilled nursing facility, and her daily rate was $265. If she had stayed for 100 days the cost would have been $26,500 without Medicare or Senior Advantage. Medicare would have paid a total of $11,840 + her $4,500 = $16,340. Because she had Senior Advantage for $25 a month, Kaiser picked up the tab for the remaining $10,160. (This is all hypothetical since she was only there for 5 days.)

After 100 days it's all personal payments unless someone has skilled nursing coverage. She and my father would pay all their remaining money, and then I would apply for Medicaid (MediCal) for them.

Edited by pcur

That's what I was referring to when I said above that Senior Advantage plans are "integrated" with Medicare. They pay benefits in addition to Medicare, but they administer all the care and you only deal with the one provider.

Nursing home coverage is a whole different ball game, and that's not what I am talking about in my posts.

My Kaiser Senior Advantage does not cover any more than the basic 100 days that Medicare covers, but the copay for that entire 100 days with our Senior Advantage plan is a total of $4,500. My MIL just got released last Saturday from a skilled nursing facility, and her daily rate was $265. If she had stayed for 100 days the cost would have been $26,500 without Medicare or Senior Advantage. Medicare would have paid a total of $11,840 + her $4,500 = $16,340. Because she had Senior Advantage for $25 a month, Kaiser picked up the tab for the remaining $10,160. (This is all hypothetical since she was only there for 5 days.)

After 100 days it's all personal payments unless someone has skilled nursing coverage. She and my father would pay all their remaining money, and then I would apply for Medicaid (MediCal) for them.

I sure hope no one is taking medicare advice from a cruising message board. As I stated, do your own research and discuss your situation with a PROFESSIONAL!

I sure hope no one is taking medicare advice from a cruising message board. As I stated, do your own research and discuss your situation with a PROFESSIONAL!

ABSOLUTELY!

JMHO, I live in Southern California, I had Kaiser for 1 year and quickly changed back to my HMO for Health Insurance through work.

Now that I am on Medicare, I WOULD NEVER SELECT KAISER for anything!

Lots of folks do have them, and love them, just not this gal.

they didn't even cover my onboard care for something that happened in FT. Lauderdale before the ship even left port. I had to submit the claim, wait for a rejection and then file with my cruise insurance carrier. I was eventually paid but for some reason the service office in Jacksonville didn't recognize Lauderdale as in the US.

If you were treated on the ship, even though it was docked in Ft. Lauderdale, you were not treated in the US. The ship is registered in the Netherlands, and that's the country you were in at the time of treatment.

ZU

My Dad had Medicare with AARP Supplemental. Medicare does not cover out of country medical expenses. The Supplemental plans will only cover that which Medicare covers. He always bought regular travel insurance and used it quite extensively on his last cruise. He had to file a Medicare form (which covered nothing), then the Medicare supplemental form (which covered nothing), then submit those two rejections to the travel insurance company. They covered his full expense. How do I know this? I handled all the paperwork.

My Dad had Medicare with AARP Supplemental. Medicare does not cover out of country medical expenses. The Supplemental plans will only cover that which Medicare covers. He always bought regular travel insurance and used it quite extensively on his last cruise. He had to file a Medicare form (which covered nothing), then the Medicare supplemental form (which covered nothing), then submit those two rejections to the travel insurance company. They covered his full expense. How do I know this? I handled all the paperwork.

Do you mind telling us which travel insurance your Dad purchased?

I understand if you don't wish to say.

Sorry you Dad needed medical care while cruising but happy the insurance paid his expensess.