Princess/Celebrity Cruisers

MoyCoy

I am a avid RCL/CCL cruiser who is trying Princess for the first time. I am sailing Princess because of a desired itinerary. I am a little nervous sailing a new line. Mostly because I have not had the time to research every little detail about the Sapphire. The Princess boards have been extremely helpful. But now I seek advice from my fellow celebrity cruisers who understand both brands.

I wonder for cruisers who enjoy both lines, what are some very apparent Celebrity /Royal Caribbean novelties/events that I will not experience on Princess. How are the kids club the same/different? What is Princess known for? I sailed the Solstice last year.. How are the Sapphire and Solstice similar/different. I sail in a week. Any advice?;)

Just want to get a feel of the territory so to speak.:)

I decided to sail Princess based on the numerous Celebrity threads that compare both lines. Most seem to think Princess is comparable to Celebrity so I am looking forward to my upcoming cruise immensely! Its always fun trying something new, but indeed is also a little nerve wrecking for my type A personality!:D

Celebrity doesn't have the Movies under the stars; Celebrity's food is better (although that is subjective); Celebrity's buffet has a better layout. Princess ships are beautiful as are the Celebrity ships.

I cannot comment on the kids' programs, but I have seen more kids on Princess than Celebrity.

Edited by attilamom1217

You will not see the officers around the ship on Princess as much as you do on Celebrity. I don't know which cabin class you sail in but if it is a balcony and you are accustomed to having the sofa you will not get this on the Sapphire unless you book a mini suite.

Princess does have International Café which is free and serves salads, sandwiches and desserts. Be sure to try their chicken salad.

I prefer the selection of desserts in the MDR on Princess more than on Celebrity.

The bottom line is that if you enjoy Celebrity I think you will also enjoy your cruise on the Sapphire.:D

We sail both Princess and Celebrity, enjoy them both. Princess has several smaller MDRs rather than one big one -- we actually like this, each has its own personality and we find it quieter and more intimate, but some miss the WOW factor. I haven't sailed on Sapphire (although we did sail on Diamond Princess), I don't believe there is any Movies under the Stars, but if there is, give it a try. Almost all the Princess ships offer a Pub Lunch on the sea days, this is free, is served in one of the lounges and features real pub-style food (fish and chips, Shepherd's Pie, that sort of thing) -- it's a nice midday alternative. The Princess evening buffets are themed and are more extensive than what you find on Celebrity, if that interests you. At dinner, Princess always offers a great pasta choice and will happily serve you an appetizer portion ---they used to have a pasta course every night) -- the Fettuccine Alfredo is on the everyday menu and is especially delicious. And I think all Princess ships have an International Cafe, where they serve pastries and salads and sandwiches all day and most of the night, all free. Regular cabins are smaller than on Celebrity, but we have always had wonderful stewards on Princess. Just go into it expecting some differences and trying to appreciate the best of both lines, and you'll have a great time.

We sail both Princess and Celebrity, enjoy them both. Princess has several smaller MDRs rather than one big one -- we actually like this, each has its own personality and we find it quieter and more intimate, but some miss the WOW factor. I haven't sailed on Sapphire (although we did sail on Diamond Princess), I don't believe there is any Movies under the Stars, but if there is, give it a try. Almost all the Princess ships offer a Pub Lunch on the sea days, this is free, is served in one of the lounges and features real pub-style food (fish and chips, Shepherd's Pie, that sort of thing) -- it's a nice midday alternative. The Princess evening buffets are themed and are more extensive than what you find on Celebrity, if that interests you. At dinner, Princess always offers a great pasta choice and will happily serve you an appetizer portion ---they used to have a pasta course every night) -- the Fettuccine Alfredo is on the everyday menu and is especially delicious. And I think all Princess ships have an International Cafe, where they serve pastries and salads and sandwiches all day and most of the night, all free. Regular cabins are smaller than on Celebrity, but we have always had wonderful stewards on Princess. Just go into it expecting some differences and trying to appreciate the best of both lines, and you'll have a great time.

I would like to experience a smaller dinning room. We were unhappy with the noise level last year on the Solstice in the MDR and therefore booked a A2 for our upcoming Sept cruise. I figure we will be eating a lot of buffet dinners because we will be sailing with our 3 year olds so its notice to hear that the buffet is extensive. Which your Fav Princess ship?

Edited by MoyCoy

Pub style food yummy. I assume children are not allowed even during this special lunch.. right?

Edited by MoyCoy

Something you may want to consider if your little one is a sound sleeper is the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. It is served course by course on your balcony on a table set with flowers and candles (electric). We really enjoyed this on our recent Ruby cruise. For $100 for two we had cocktails and a surf and turf dinner complete with 1/2 bottle of champagne or wine up to $30 and a photo to commemorate the occasion. We thought it was a great treat and decided to gift one to our son and DIL for their upcoming Princess cruise.

We find Princess and Celebrity to be quite similar, although food is slightly more to our taste on Celebrity, apart from desserts which are better on Princess. We love the International Cafe for a light lunch, and the coffee card is a good deal to use there.

We have sailed RCCL, Princess, Celebrity. Each one is different. We like to sail Royal Caribbean with family, Princess and Celebrity with friends and when we travel as a couple. Just got off the Ruby Princess and we had a great time and the food was terrific. Princess does have a great dining room (more intimate) and some of the best desserts and pastries on the 7 seas!:D And large closets!!!! We like Celebrity for the layout of the ship, the officers around the ship, the buffet areas are wonderful, and the food.

One thing you have to remember is that everyone is different and we all like things that others may not like. Go, have a great time and judge for yourself. I am sure you will not be sorry that you went. YOUR ON A CRUISE!

Just have to agree with what others have said that the Pub lunch is really good and I loved the Alfredo Pasta - pretty much lived on it. I also like the MUTS if your princess ship has one and kind of missed not having that on Celebrity this year. Have a great vacation!

I did a 14 night Alaska cruise on Diamond Princess (sister ship to Sapphire) in September, and a 15 night transatlantic on Reflection in November.

cynbar pretty much sums up my feelings as well, especially the areas that I highlighted.

Princess has FAR better service in the buffet and more/different/better entertainment options. THOROUGHLY enjoyed the music, party band, and the Sinatra type guy in "Crooners." I didn't think I'd care much for MUTS but it was rather entertaining and relaxing.

Celebrity S class ships just can't be beat for sheer overall beauty and visual appeal. (Princess interiors felt cramped and "meh...") Specialty dining is GREAT on X, but the music/volume on Celebrity is getting to be a problem, and is my solitary complaint.

Edited by teecee60

Just got off a Celebrity ship a couple of days and am also a real lover of Princess. To me they are very similar experiences.

Celebrity food overall is better except for deserts and Pizza where Princess exceeds.

Entertainment and cruise directors better on Princess.

Love the afternoon teas on princess. Overall princess is just more British.

For kids I would take one of the cruise lines designed for them (Carnival, Disney or NCL).

You will not be happy with either of these choices with kids as they are really not the market either of these go after.

For our group, Princess evening meal offerings in the Horizon Court/Café Caribe are far superior. The dinner buffet on Princess offers food more comparable to the dining room. The tables are set for you and you wait staff removing plates and providing beverages. Also, desserts in the buffet at night are very comparable to the MDR. IMO, Celebrity could really work on their evening buffet offerings, especially since their MDR can be extremely crowded.

I am a avid RCL/CCL cruiser who is trying Princess for the first time. I am sailing Princess because of a desired itinerary. I am a little nervous sailing a new line. Mostly because I have not had the time to research every little detail about the Sapphire. The Princess boards have been extremely helpful. But now I seek advice from my fellow celebrity cruisers who understand both brands.

I wonder for cruisers who enjoy both lines, what are some very apparent Celebrity /Royal Caribbean novelties/events that I will not experience on Princess. How are the kids club the same/different? What is Princess known for? I sailed the Solstice last year.. How are the Sapphire and Solstice similar/different. I sail in a week. Any advice?;)

I decided to sail Princess based on the numerous Celebrity threads that compare both lines. Most seem to think Princess is comparable to Celebrity so I am looking forward to my upcoming cruise immensely! Its always fun trying something new, but indeed is also a little nerve wrecking for my type A personality!:D

We sailed Princess the first time in 1992, our last was a very so-so sailing on the Ruby Princess Nov 2012. Our first Celebrity sailing was in 1994, our last was the Reflection last Nov. Will it be bad, no, will it compare to Celebrity, IMHO, no.

Sail with an open mind.

Have been on both and really like both a lot!! We are going on Celebrity next month but when we sail with my parents we will be going on Princess because they have black status and I'm good with that too!! You can't go wrong with either!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have not been on Sapphire Princess, but we have cruised on Island and Crown. We enjoyed Movies Under the Stars on Crown, which Celebrity doesn't have. We thought food and atmosphere in the MDR were better on Princess (and less chaotic). Entertainment is better on Princess, IMHO. Staterooms are nicer on X. Service is great on both lines. Alcoholic beverages are less expensive on Princess. Pizza is great on Princess. There are more options for specialty restaurants on X, but the price is less on Princess. Celebrity ships are more elegant and aesthetically pleasing than Princess. The solarium (adult) pool is much more beautiful, quieter and relaxing on X. Celebrity has Aqua Class, which offers many amenities without having to book a suite. Princess does not offer anything like this. Celebrity has alcoholic beverage packages, and Princess is just in the process of testing these on one of their ships. DH and I love both cruise lines. You will have a great time.

I just have to say, I LOVE the Sapphire. Out of 13 princess cruises, I have been on the Sapphire 5 times. I do think Celebrity ships are still prettier, Millennium class and Solstice class, but the Sapphire to me is just special. Love he many swimming pols, club fusion, explorers lounge, wheel house lounge. Weakness is the showroom. Not large enough

But the shows were still decent. I hear they've cut the shows to 30 minutes.

I like the smaller dining rooms, especially Santa Fe

No double decker main dining room but nice, just the same

Buffet layout not good. International café In that atrium is very nice I like the atrium on Princess better than I do the atrium on celebrity

I like the food more on celebrity however

The bathrooms in The cabins are tiny. Ridiculously tiny compared to the wonderful bathrooms on Celebrity

Better storage in the cabins on Princess

Regular cabins are laid out better on celebrity

But the cabins are definitely more narrow on the solstice class compared to the sapphire Princess

Cabins

Mini suite cabins on my Sapphire are wonderful. If you have a mini suite and your bathroom will be average size. Not tiny

Celebrity doesn't have the Movies under the stars; Celebrity's food is better (although that is subjective); Celebrity's buffet has a better layout. Princess ships are beautiful as are the Celebrity ships.

I cannot comment on the kids' programs, but I have seen more kids on Princess than Celebrity.

I would have to completely agree with everything above.

We were able to upgrade to a Vista Suite on our last Princess cruise and really enjoyed the extra space. However, while the suite was nice, there was no butler. This was a jeans and t-shirt cruise and we ate exactly 1 meal in the MDR. The room steward brought our meals to the room but all the courses arrived at once. It still beat getting dressed for dinner.

I booked Celebrity for our next cruise because the suites include a butler. We tend to spend a lot of time on the ship and in the room.

The lack of a butler for Princess suites may have become a deal-breaker for us.

Hi MoyCoy. We met on the Solstice wine cruise last year. We've done 14 w/Princess, I think 5 with X & 3 w/RCCL. Like all of them. We were AVID Princess cruisers for quite a while, but just got kind of burned out & needed a change. I found X & Princess to be fairly comparable, with some ships on each serving better food than others on the same line. For example, just got off Silhouette & felt the food on Solstice was slightly better. That being said, we've done Sapphire a couple of times & really liked it. You may find you like certain things on X more than Princess or vice versa, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. As I recall, Sapphire is one of the ships that has 4 dining rooms, and I believe 3 of the 4 have their own "specialty" dish, although I've heard you can get any specialty dish in any of the restaurants (at least that used to be the case).

Have a great cruise!