Question About Cabin Safes on Eurodam

smoothsailors

If anyone knows: do the stateroom safes require a credit card swipe or take a numerical code? If a card, will any magnetic strip card work? (Would then plan to bring an extra card along as we usually put our wallets in the safe while onboard.)

Thanks!

Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam safes are much larger than on any of the other HAL ships. They hold netbook, tablet, cell phones, jewelry pouch, wallets, cash, passports.......

And, yes, they operate by four digit code of our choosing.

The safe is one of the first things I check out upon entering my cabin for the first time. On my last cruise on Eurodam, the safe was left locked by the preceding guests. A call to Guest Relations had the problem resolved within a half hour; better than finding out just before the boat drill or dinner.

The safe is one of the first things I check out upon entering my cabin for the first time. On my last cruise on Eurodam, the safe was left locked by the preceding guests. A call to Guest Relations had the problem resolved within a half hour; better than finding out just before the boat drill or dinner.

We, too, have arrived at our cabin to find the previous guests left it locked. :rolleyes: Why would someone do that? How juvenile. They emptied it and then made the poor purposeful choice to relock it knowing it would inconvenience the arriving guest.

We, too, have arrived at our cabin to find the previous guests left it locked. :rolleyes: Why would someone do that? How juvenile. They emptied it and then made the poor purposeful choice to relock it knowing it would inconvenience the arriving guest.

Probably the same folks who are in a stage of utter confusion when they enter an elevator.

There was at least one ship left with the card swipe operating method.... I think maybe Zaandam? Has the last of the ships safes been converted?

On the Volendam 4 days ago, the safes were still the old "swipe" type. A nuisance - hope they change them.

Thanks for confirming.

I thought there was at least one ship with the old style method. Volendam, being Zaandam's sister, I wonder if Zaandam also still has the old swipe system.

That's not necessarily how it played out. There are other scenarios:

I know I am always afraid that I won't remember to clear out the safe. So, when I'm doing the final packing up the night before, I unload the safe contents back into my purse. There's no concern for safety in the morning, because I have room service breakfast and won't be out of the cabin.

The problem with that procedure, though, it that then the safe door swings as the ship moves, and makes noise all night hitting the closet door. I relock it, knowing I need to unlock the empty safe in the morning, if I want to sleep that night. So far, I've never forgotten, but I can understand how someone might.

Nothing "juvenile" about it. Just one way to get some uninterrupted sleep.

One could wedge three of four pieces of tissue between safe door and the wall where it closes. That would assure it would not swing open and no need to remember to unlock it.

I understand what you are saying, Ruth, and know it makes sense but can be very annoying for the arriving guest. We have had to wait a long time to get someone to the cabin to get it open on embarkation day.

Our choice is to wait or to carry our valuables out and about with us.

Either way is not the way I enjoy starting our cruise.

I can understand that people can forget they locked the safe the night before and I don't ascribe malice to my predecessors in the cabin. However, such practice invites the accidental forgetting to reopen in the morning. Better yet to lock something vital in the safe like your passports, sail cards or oxygen bottle.

There are any number of ways one could choose to keep the safe door from banging all night. If the method chosen were to result in an inadvertent difficulty for me the next day, I would choose to look at it as an honest mistake.

I can understand that people can forget they locked the safe the night before and I don't ascribe malice to my predecessors in the cabin. However, such practice invites the accidental forgetting to reopen in the morning. Better yet to lock something vital in the safe like your passports, sail cards or oxygen bottle.

I would not suggest locking something valuable in the safe overnight. Something could go wrong and you might find yourself rushing around in the morning.

It was my understanding that the guests leave their safes open and they are reset on embarkation day.

So, here's the stupid question - if the safe combination has to be reset and the safe is locked, then why isn't this attended to before the guests board?

I know, it's busy but - if they have time to reset the combinations, surely there is time to open the safe?

Edited by kazu

It was my understanding that the guests leave their safes open and they are reset on embarkation day.

So, here's the stupid question - if the safe combination has to be reset and the safe is locked, then why isn't this attended to before the guests board?

I know, it's busy but - if they have time to reset the combinations, surely there is time to open the safe?

I don't believe they are reset by the crew. Once a safe is open, any 4 number combination becomes the new combination.

I don't believe they are reset by the crew. Once a safe is open, any 4 number combination becomes the new combination.

Interesting. I thought they were. thanks.

I'm almost certain that one of the check out procedures is to zero out the safe 4 digit code. Otherwise how would the arriving guest be able to set the new code?

If this is the scenario, then it matters not whether the safe is left open...or locked...by the departing guest. No?

What am I missing (DH always sets our code so I haven't paid attention).

If anyone knows: do the stateroom safes require a credit card swipe or take a numerical code? If a card, will any magnetic strip card work? (Would then plan to bring an extra card along as we usually put our wallets in the safe while onboard.)

Thanks!

EUDM combo safe

IMG_8772_zpsb7a1bbae.jpg

IMG_8774_zps48873493.jpg