Has anyone ever done bridge tour with the captain

It all depends on the personality of The Officer hosting the tour, we have done it with various levels of Officer from Captain to Trainee Deck Hand, and enjoyed most of them. However the enjoyment ( or not ) can actually depend on the fellow passengers also on the tour. Some make it fun and interesting, where as others make it boring and silly as they try to outdo each other with knowledge, or the "I have a big boat" brigade :D

It all depends on the personality of The Officer hosting the tour, we have done it with various levels of Officer from Captain to Trainee Deck Hand, and enjoyed most of them. However the enjoyment ( or not ) can actually depend on the fellow passengers also on the tour. Some make it fun and interesting, where as others make it boring and silly as they try to outdo each other with knowledge, or the "I have a big boat" brigade :D

very true. When I did it on the Solstice we had a great group, and they asked great (intelligent) questions. We got to watch the pre-departure meeting and watch the first officer pull the ship out of port.

I believe it's mostly timing. If the Captain is on the bridge with some time available he will usually do it or at least answer questions later. If he's not available the junior officers do a great job.

I believe it's mostly timing. If the Captain is on the bridge with some time available he will usually do it or at least answer questions later. If he's not available the junior officers do a great job.

That was our experience on Independence. The Captain made a very brief appearance but the bulk of the tour was done by one of the bridge officers (who was very good btw - obviously knowledgeable and patient, especially with the few "roll your eyes" questions coming from the show-off guests).

Ours was on the Liberty, can't remember the captain's name but he had a great personality. Answered lots of questions, we took pictures of the bridge and with him.

That night was the second formal night, we were seated at one of the large tables next to his and he came over and spoke with us during dinner. Really great person.

One of my most memorable moments on RCI.

We did a bridge tour while on Legend (as part of our D+ status). The captain was not there, but the first mate was. The officer conducting the tour was in training, and was very good. Some of the other passengers on the tour commented to us they have been on several tours and this had officer in training was the best they have seen. I think it depends on the captains schedule as to if he is there or not. Was very interesting!

A long time ago on the mariner I asked the Captain where the horn was. He walked me over to the bridge wing and said it right here, a small button on a control panel. He said push it, and bet your behind I did. That was so awesome, it was a sea day and we were in the middle of no where. Loved it!!!!!

We've done it twice when we were in a GS (FR and EX). Obviously, they can't offer it to everyone, or that's all the Captain would be doing.;)

It's a pretty cool experience. Both times we were at sea on the last sea day coming back.

Obviously, they can't offer it to everyone, or that's all the Captain would be doing.;)

It's a pretty cool experience. Both times we were at sea on the last sea day coming back.

Going in my first cruise soon, was curious how we could sign up or express interest for a tour once on board. Sounds awesome!!

That was our experience on Independence. The Captain made a very brief appearance but the bulk of the tour was done by one of the bridge officers (who was very good btw - obviously knowledgeable and patient, especially with the few "roll your eyes" questions coming from the show-off guests).

I don't know what you consider to be a "roll your eyes" question, but each guest has a different level of knowledge about ships. DH is retired Navy and usually asks questions that I can't begin to comprehend. I don't think he should have to dumb it down for me or anybody else.

We have done a few bridge tours and usually the Captain only makes an appearance. It's a good training exercise for the Junior bridge officers who might otherwise have little or no contact with guests. If they want to be promoted, they need to learn to deal with us.

I don't know what you consider to be a "roll your eyes" question, but each guest has a different level of knowledge about ships. DH is retired Navy and usually asks questions that I can't begin to comprehend. I don't think he should have to dumb it down for me or anybody else.

We have done a few bridge tours and usually the Captain only makes an appearance. It's a good training exercise for the Junior bridge officers who might otherwise have little or no contact with guests. If they want to be promoted, they need to learn to deal with us.

The specific one I remember had nothing to do with knowledge or expertise - this guy on our tour (while the officer was showing us and explaining the azipod controls) asked "can ya make this thing do a 360 (yuk yuk)?" So I supposed show-off wasn't what I really meant when I made that comment above about roll your eyes.

Edited by joepeka

The specific one I remember had nothing to do with knowledge or expertise - this guy on our tour (while the officer was showing us and explaining the azipod controls) asked "can ya make this thing do a 360 (yuk yuk)?" So I supposed show-off wasn't what I really meant when I made that comment above about roll your eyes.

That actually may have been a serious question. The Radiance class ships can do 360's - and, I don't know this for sure, but it's likely any ship with azipods can do that. Don't know what ship you were on when that question was asked.

That actually may have been a serious question. The Radiance class ships can do 360's - and, I don't know this for sure, but it's likely any ship with azipods can do that. Don't know what ship you were on when that question was asked.

Believe me, it was not a serious question. You had to be there to understand I guess.

A couple times....on Celebrity and that was really cool..(and OK the Captain was not hard to look at...:p;))

Twice on Royal..one time there were several unruly kids and the Captain was uneasy about them being up there...he had a look of "who let these little brats on my bridge" and once, on Explorer leaving Coco Cay when the anchor was stuck! The tour decided that we would leave the bridge so that the Captain could go about his business. He said we could stay, but we all said thank you sir, and off we went. He did look relieved, and I have a feeling that someone on the other end of the radio may have gotten an earful!

Sometimes people ask good questions, other times highly technical ones and then there are the so called know it alls who take over the whole conversation.

I've had a couple other officers give great tours. Last time, we had an apprentice/intern officer and he was REALLY excited about giving the tour. Nice young man, enthusiastic, really knew his stuff and I hope he has a great career...

On the Liberty of the Seas a few years ago we had dinner with the captain and he invited all of us that had dinner with him to be on the bridge with him when we were going into San Juan. Very nice because it was early afternoon when we were going into San Juan and the view was pretty good and being on the bridge when they were docking the ship was impressive. After the ship was docked he took time to answer questions and get pictures taken.