Panama canal questions

Hawaii136

Thinking about panama canal voyage.

Any opinions on QV vs QE ?

We would probably do PG.

IN 2015, westbound leaves FLL 21 Jan QE

Or Feb 2 FLL QV

Alternatively we could tke an eastbound leaving LA in April 6 on Qv

Any opinions on time of year or east vs west direction?

Thanks in advance!

We took the QE LA to NY Panama cruise last March and had no serious complaints other than about some of the land based tours (particularly in Nicaragua). The QE and QV are basically Vista Class Cruise ships and the differences between the two are not significant in my opinion. In choosing the date for the cruise, I would, if possible, examine what ports the ship will visit and go from there.

Bob

I've done the canal in both directions - I think it "plays" better going from the Atlantic to the Pacific and you get more of a full day of enjoyment. Going the other way it all kind of happens in the morning and once you get to Gatun Lake it's sort of one-note for the rest of the day.

I've done the canal in both directions - I think it "plays" better going from the Atlantic to the Pacific and you get more of a full day of enjoyment. Going the other way it all kind of happens in the morning and once you get to Gatun Lake it's sort of one-note for the rest of the day.

Absolutely right. Also westbound you will easier notice the difference between Atlantic and Pacific. We joined the river and train excursion at Puerto Limon and had one of the best guides ever.

I must say that recent cruises showed the QV with a slightly nicer atmosphere than the QE.

Of course, going Pacific-->Atlantic you get to see the sun rise over the Pacific in the morning and set over the Atlantic in the evening. I think it's the only place on earth where you can do that.

I try to avoid east/west discussions with the Panama Canal since it's more north & south and the Atlantic end is actually further west than the Pacific end.

Thinking about panama canal voyage.

Any opinions on QV vs QE ?

We would probably do PG.

IN 2015, westbound leaves FLL 21 Jan QE

Or Feb 2 FLL QV

Alternatively we could tke an eastbound leaving LA in April 6 on Qv

Any opinions on time of year or east vs west direction?

Thanks in advance!

We did the partial transit in 2012 on the QV. The chartroom is the Britannia Club on QE. The QV is a little more sedate(almost somber)in decor compared to the QE, but both ships are really the same(Vista Class)You'll have a good time on either one.

A great advantage of taking a QM2 cruise to Panama, etc., back in November, 2009, was that QM2 is way too wide for the existing locks, so the Canal tour from Cristobal took us by bus to the far end of Gatun Lake where we boarded a small ferry that took us through the Gaillard/Culebra Cut, the Pedro Miguel Locks, and the Miraflores Locks to Panama City and the Pacific; then back by bus to QM2 at Cristobal. Being in a small ferry sharing a lock with a giant bulk carrier was memorable; as was seeing the lock walls from the inside a few feet away as the water level changed, then seeing the gates at eye level slowly swing open ahead of us. Here are some photos and videos of that transit.

If you take the April cruise the weather on both ends will be warmer, saving the necessity of packing cool weather clothing. EM

OTOH, April is the start of the rainy season in Panama. The months for the least chances of rain are February, March, September and October.