Which cruise line for a European river cruise?

JustForFun0509

Choose by the itinerary ,dates, price that are most attractive to you. We have done several with Vantage, GCT, and Viking (more than one with each) and would recommend any of the 3 in a heartbeat. Though we haven't' traveled with them, I've heard good things about Avalon and AMA, as well.

Choose by the itinerary ,dates, price that are most attractive to you. We have done several with Vantage, GCT, and Viking (more than one with each) and would recommend any of the 3 in a heartbeat. Though we haven't' traveled with them, I've heard good things about Avalon and AMA, as well.

We have done two with Vantage and love them, especially since Vantage will always beat Viking on price for what your get.

AMA is a little more expensive, they are excellent.

Suggest comparing what you get for $$$. What tours are included in the tour?

What is overall price per day?

Cost of airfare if included in price?

Of course, the itinerary has to be what you want. Research the ports and decide what you want to see.

Our compelling reason was we were able to book a 24 night cruise (Vantage) for the same cost as a 14 night cruise (Viking). And it included airfare. Of course, we booked 18 months out.

But, from what I read, most of the cruiselines are good, so go with what works for you - itinerary, price, dates, ship.

JustforFun0509 -

Welcome to Cruise Critic!!! I must say, you open with a very subjective question...

You haven't identified what it is that is driving your decision to do a river cruise, or what your interests are.

As mentioned here - and in other threads - there are a number of good to great products out there. We start with itinerary, then look at dates, then prices...

What is important to you? If price is driving your decision, there are many here who feel that you can't beat Vantage. Have never travelled with them, as they market almost exclusively to the US market. Because of that, - your travelling companions will be almost entirely other Americans. If you want a more varied group to travel with, Vantage may not be the choice for you.

Are you looking for all inclusive? If you want to board the boat - and never pay for anything else (other than whatever shopping you do...) - then Tauck, Scenic and Uniworld may be what you are looking for. Almost all companies include daily excursions, and wine/beer with dinner. But, the things that are not included are gratuities, airport transfers, and all day open bar. These three companies include the above items as part of their package.

If having a true balcony (vs a French balcony) is important, then look closely at the boats themselves. All Scenic boats have balcony cabins, but many of the others are following suit.

Food and quality of wine is very subjective, so won't even go there.

If there is something you really want to see - or a stop you really want to make - then that might be a place to start in your research. If you post a question about a stop or inclusion (ie: are there any cruises that include a trip to Salzburg) you might get some help in that level of detail.

Sales are not common, but they do happen. You should get on the mailing list of all the main stream companies, pick your itinerary - and then watch the prices.

There are some incentives. If you have travelled with Globus before, Avalon will give you a credit. Viking will give you a $100/pp referral credit if you are referred by a past Viking customer. The referral source also gets $100 - so lots of people will offer to help (myself included!!! :D ). Scenic does not offer a referral credit, but I do know people who have gotten $100/pp when they asked and gave the name of the referral source. The referral source does *not* get any money, but that isn't a big concern. Again, could be that referral source if you go that route. Cannot confirm referral incentives for any other line.

Sometimes you get a better price if you pay in full at time of booking. I know Uniworld does that. Viking usually insists on full payment within 30 days... which is a turn off for many here on CC.

Anway - not sure if that was really of any help. We (DH & I) have travelled with AMA, Uniworld, Scenic & Viking so far... and would travel with any of them again if the stars aligned. Our 1st Avalon cruise is in late June of this year.

Have fun planning!!

Fran

There are some incentives. If you have travelled with Globus before, Avalon will give you a credit. Viking will give you a $100/pp referral credit if you are referred by a past Viking customer. The referral source also gets $100 - so lots of people will offer to help (myself included!!! :D ). Scenic does not offer a referral credit, but I do know people who have gotten $100/pp when they asked and gave the name of the referral source. The referral source does *not* get any money, but that isn't a big concern. Again, could be that referral source if you go that route. Cannot confirm referral incentives for any other line.

Fran

Fran, Scenic do have a referral system. We received a voucher when we returned home after travelling last year with Scenic. You receive a $100 voucher each that can passed onto a friend. The number must be quoted by the friend when they book. It is a once only use voucher and can only be used by someone who has not previously travelled with Scenic. It has an expiry date.

We also get $200 each off our next tour which also has an expiry date.

It is my understanding that you receive these vouchers each time you travel with Scenic. We have three more bookings with Scenic and have received our discount each time.

Fran, Scenic do have a referral system. We received a voucher when we returned home after travelling last year with Scenic. You receive a $100 voucher each that can passed onto a friend. The number must be quoted by the friend when they book. It is a once only use voucher and can only be used by someone who has not previously travelled with Scenic. It has an expiry date.

It is my understanding that you receive these vouchers each time you travel with Scenic. We have three more bookings with Scenic and have received our discount each time.

Vantage and Grand Circle both have referral systems. Both the referrer and referee get credit. Anyone new to this board could just check with any poster who has traveled previously with a specific company for a reference. :)

The first time we travelled with Scenic we got those vouchers. But - they expired before we used them.

However, just asked for the $200/pp past passenger discount when we did our 2nd Scenic cruise - and they gave it to us. But - no vouchers arrived after the 2nd cruise.

Friends of my brother were looking at a Scenic cruise - so I suggested they ask about a referral discount (remembering the previous unused vouchers....) They got the $100/pp discount by asking.

I would always ask - even if the company doesn't advertise referral discounts.

Fran

We took Uniworld last year and from the second we booked they were warm, efficient and very professional. Excellent customer service from booking day till we were taken to the Paris airport where a Uniworld representative met us and guided us to our airline.

This April we chose an Avalon cruise and so far their customer service doesn't compare. Very abrupt and short with a quick question. We're hoping service improves when we arrive in Amsterdam to their host hotel.

Like many I'm a bit biased towards my favourite river cruise company. I would suggest that before you decide on a company that you have a good detailed look at Tauck. They are truly all-inclusive and arguably the best river cruise company in Europe. If you do an apples v apples comparison you'll find they represent very good value for money.

One of the things I like about Viking is the requirement to pay upon, or soon thereafter, of booking. If people aren't really serious about booking the trip, they don't. That means the cabin availabilites shown at booking are realitively true. On many cruises, people will pre-book, thus reserve their cabin, making it unavailable for others, then cancel when the real money has to be put down. Then people are left to playing this game of trying to flip flop into better cabins as they become available.

So there is two sides to this payment schedule!

As I understand from those who were on the cruise with us, US and Canadians had to pay in full within the same month as the deposit (altho' we got an exception after complaining to HQ). Yet Brits and Aussies don't so availability of cabins for serious folks is certainly NOT a factor!!!

And 3% from a $8,000 pp trip is a whole $240 so not much of a discount in my book!

Edited by delraydoll
grammar