Closet Space on Ocean Princess

beg3yrs

Oh Wise and Knowledgeable Forum Members:

This humble member had diligently searched the forum for information regarding the amount of closet space available on the Ocean Princess in a standard balcony stateroom.

Information I have found includes statements such as:

- Less than the Grand Class

- Enough for twelve days

----- Is that for one person or two? A "clothes horse" or someone who packs light?

- Two doors

Photos (thank you Caribill) have been helpful, we've even printed them for further examination. However, the photos are at such an angle we don't really get a good idea of the width. It's probably the narrow hallway that makes it difficult to get a good shot of the closets.

And we all know the diagrams on the Princess web-site don't really tell the complete story.

So, all you denizens of the sea, this humble servant would truly benefit from first-hand objective information regarding the closet space available in the standard balcony stateroom on the OP or its sisters.

BTW, this benefit will primarily be increased tranquility at this servant's land abode as servant's spouse is in the process of packing for a 61 day journey on the OP and is in a high state of worry.

All we need is this information. Replies similar to "take less stuff" (I'm a former backpacker and I tried this - the pain has almost subsided), while accurate, are not being received well.

We were on the old Tahitian (which is now the Ocean) for 20 days and the old Royal for 25.

The closets are small! We took 4 suitcases (that included snorkeling gear) and I managed to shove everything inside.

I can't remember any drawers other than the desk, though.

61 days is a long time - I hope you're Elite and get free laundry. :D

We'll be on her for 35 days next year and I was so worried about trying to remember whether there were loungers in the shade that I forgot to worry about closet space.:o

We have been on the OP for 30 days and never have had a storage problems. Of course I only bring 1 checked bag pp and 1 carry one pp.

As a former backpacker, I would love to be where you are in the "less is better" world.

We're allowed 3 checked bags each at 30kg. That's probably what will happen. :eek:

We were on the old Tahitian (which is now the Ocean) for 20 days and the old Royal for 25.

The closets are small! We took 4 suitcases (that included snorkeling gear) and I managed to shove everything inside.

I can't remember any drawers other than the desk, though.

61 days is a long time - I hope you're Elite and get free laundry. :D

We'll be on her for 35 days next year and I was so worried about trying to remember whether there were loungers in the shade that I forgot to worry about closet space.:o

That's good information, thanks. Sorry I gave you something else to worry about (if that was the worst worry we had, life is certainly good).

We made Elite last cruise but spouse is concerned about nice things being ruined. I'm sure gentle laundry soap will be packed.

For the really long journeys I figure once you get to about three weeks, the amount of "stuff" shouldn't really increase.

As a former backpacker, I would love to be where you are in the "less is better" world.

We're allowed 3 checked bags each at 30kg. That's probably what will happen. :eek:

Way back in the days when you were allowed 2 free checked bags each (which we would take) , most of the times we never wore everything we brought. Spent 61 days on the Grand Princess last year with just the 2 checked bags and 2 carry on. We packed clothes for cooler temps around South America and then summer clothes for Hawaii.

Beg3years: We were on the TP, now called Ocean Princess, for 107 days...it is an older ship, but we had plenty of closet space. With drawers bedside, and under and beside tv and refrigerator. The balcony cabins set up was....

Cabin door opens up against the bathroom wall...so as you enter, closet is on your right..double door with shelves up above..past that was the fridge with shelves above that, then angled tv with shelves below that. On the left side was the bathroom, wall, then the bed, then a small sofa with coffee table. Across from that was the vanity with mirror.

We bring 3M hooks and magnets to hang stuff on the walls out if the way. We store "just in case items" and suitcase under the bed.

Hope this makes sense...

Dolores

Regardless what ship you are on if you each check 3 bags you will be crowded. We were on the Pacific and it was a smaller closet.

Edited by waltd

Beg3years: We were on the TP, now called Ocean Princess, for 107 days...it is an older ship, but we had plenty of closet space. With drawers bedside, and under and beside tv and refrigerator. The balcony cabins set up was....

Cabin door opens up against the bathroom wall...so as you enter, closet is on your right..double door with shelves up above..past that was the fridge with shelves above that, then angled tv with shelves below that. On the left side was the bathroom, wall, then the bed, then a small sofa with coffee table. Across from that was the vanity with mirror.

We bring 3M hooks and magnets to hang stuff on the walls out if the way. We store "just in case items" and suitcase under the bed.

Hope this makes sense...

Dolores

Thanks Delores - I forgot about the whole wall unit with the TV.

I also remember that on our last cruise on the old Royal our suitcase wouldn't fit under the bed. First (and so far, last) time that has happened. Make sure you don't have a thick suitcase.

As long as your memory is so good - are there any outside shaded places where there are loungers? (My husband says under the upper level around the pool but I can't remember )

We used to LOVE the sun but too many trips to the dermatologist lately have changed that. :(

Thanks (and beg3yrs, sorry for the hijack)

Edited by chamima

Wall magnet hooks

Most useful tip I've seen on here besides battery operated tea lights for night light in the bathroom.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Magnets-Handi-Hook-20-lb-Magnetic-Pull-Hook-07218HD/202639937?N=5yc1vZc2ew

Super Magnets Handi Hook 20 lb. Magnetic Pull Hook

Model # 07218HD

Store SKU # 455658

Write a review

Write the First Review

$2.98 / each

Aisle13 Bay012

(change pick up store)

PRODUCT SOLD : In Store Only

0193da7a-bb8a-4ccf-89d8-27f15fc3d0bf_65.jpg

Wall magnet hooks

$2.98 / each

Aisle13 Bay012

(change pick up store)

PRODUCT SOLD : In Store Only

0193da7a-bb8a-4ccf-89d8-27f15fc3d0bf_65.jpg

A trip to Home Depot has been added to our "To Do" list.

Y'all are awesome! Thanks so much ...

We have the very lightweight but aluminium type suitcases and they certainly don't fit under the bed. On the longer cruises - over 20 days - we usually ask our cabin steward to store them for us which they are quite happy to do.

We have always found there is enough wardrobe and cupboard space in the balcony cabins. We did a 35 day cruise on Oceania's Nautica, which is exactly the same ship as the Ocean and Pacific Princesses, and we had no trouble with hanging everything. Of course we did have a number of clothes on the same clothes hanger but everything did fit in to the wardrobe. Mind you, we only travel with one large suitcase each and one piece of hand luggage as the luggage limits down here are quite tight - from 20kg -23kg depending on the airline.

Jennie

We have been on the OP several times. The closet space is about 30 to 40 hangers wide. That is a combination of the supplied wooden hangers (they take up more space but used for heavier stuff) and wire hangers (less space, used for shirts, etc.) There is also some room above the hangers in the closet where the life jackets are stored. There is a half row of 4 small drawers (socks, underwear, etc.) under the dryer (actually the frig with a metal bar above for drying underwear). There is some space under and above the TV - these shelves are triangular but still usable. Door on the cupboard below the TV. The bedside tables have some storage but they don't have doors, just shelves. The desk has three drawers per side. Never been a problem for us as we travel light. We usually do 50 to 60 days and use a 28 inch checked bag and a roll-on bag each.

When my husband travels to Holland he uses a colapsable plastic hanging device found at Bed Bath and Beyond. I don't know what it is called. It is white plastic with 2 hooks on each end. First you hang up the two hooks. You place hangers on one of 6 slots between the hooks. Then you remove one of the hooks and the whole contraption cascades down. It saves a lot of space. We will take them in Dec. when we do our TA on the Ocean Princess.

Thank you so much for the information. This really helps in our packing and our mood!

You're welcome.

Please pay it forward by coming back after your cruise and letting us all know your impressions.