What you opinion on a Balcony in Alaska

April19

Hi,

Is having a balcony on an Alaskan cruise worth it? Or is it just too cold? Are the views worth it? I live in Las Vegas so I'm not used to the cold. I normally book balconies on warm weather cruises.

Edited by April19

I have lived in Las Vegas myself, so I know you have cold weather in the winter. A few years ago, on a ship in Alaska, it was 90 degrees in my balcony. You just never know. Take layers!

Many will tell you that you do not need a balcony. That you need to be out on the deck with all the other people and move from side to side to see everything. I don't agree.

You will not use it for sitting outside a lot of the time because it is often cold - especially when close to a glacier for viewing. But I would not go to Alaska without a balcony. The chance to be away from people, looking at what I want to look at, without someone elbowing their way in front of you so they can see is necessary for me. If you are a crowd lover, then you would be fine without a balcony, but if you are like me and want to get away at times it is a necessity.

Will you have to give up or cut back on shore excursions in order to afford a balcony? If it is a choice between doing amazing things onshore OR having a balcony, I vote for doing amazing things on shore. Only you know what you can spend. I know what I can spend, and travel in an oceanview, and do whatever excursions, whatever cost, that appeal to me in Alaska.

I dislike crowds, and still find plenty of places to be outdoors when on a ship that don't involve crowds.

Weather is a total crapshoot, y'know? You might get the bestest, nicest, sunniest, warmest days EVER, or you may get none of that. If you decide on a balcony, be prepared for whatever weather you get.

There was a time I would have said that a balcony for Alaska was a necessity. However, it really isn't. Some people will tell you how they sit out on their balconies, wrapped in blankets, drinking hot chocolate....it all sound lovely but the truth of the matter you only have look at the balconies to see how little they are used. It is often cool and damp (read wet) on your sea days and you are not likely to be using them then. On your port days you are going to be ashore. Going to Alaska is not like sailing in the Caribbean. I have seen Alaska from a balcony, a window and a port hole....I won't spend the money on a balcony again. If you sit out on your balcony, even on your glacier day(s), you are only going to see half of the scenery that Alaska serves up, you really need to be out on deck moving around to take it all in.

Another point of view:

If there is any cruise itinerary where I would want a balcony, it is Alaska because of the constantly changing scenery right outside your cabin.

It is not like a transatlantic cruise or a Caribbean cruise where there is nothing to see between ports but open ocean.

On an Alaska cruise, even when we are only in the cabin changing clothes or checking out plans for the next day or checking email or waiting for the other person to get ready, there is usually something that comes into view worth opening the balcony door and stepping out to take a photo.

If it is cold, just wrap up in a couple of deck blankets and you can sit out on the balcony in cozy comfort.

It is the best way to experience the scenery along each early morning approach to the next port when we first wake up and are not yet dressed, preferable along with that first cup of coffee from room service.

It is also the best way to get those last views each night, wrapped up in your bathrobe, right before hopping into bed, or again if you wake up in the middle of the night.

We always try to pick a balcony that is at least partially covered so we can use it in any kind of weather.

As they used to say in those old commercials, Priceless!

Edited by fleckle

I think it is all up to you and where you want to put your money. We have done 2 Alaskan cruises and have a 3rd booked. All with a balcony. I wake up early and usually spend about 3 hrs in the morning and then 30 minutes here or there and usually as we sail out of what ever port. So I use mine a lot. But others have had just as much fun as I have sailing from an inside or ocean view room.

You have to look at what type of cruiser you are. For me, its a matter of I wake up at 4 am no matter what im doing and no one else in the family wakes until 7 or 8 so it is a nice quite place for me to sit and look at the views

At first since I was taking my family I thought an Ocean view or inside might okay but......after thinking about it; I am not sure I could handle it. I so much like to open the sliding glass door and look out each night and each morning. I see that even with the Ocean view you can not really look out because it is behind the bed. I just feel that I would really miss the balcony. So i am going for it. But you must do what you can afford. And spending more money on doing a lot of fun things might be where you want to put your money. It is very important that I get a good night sleep and I am am a fuzzy sleeper so I know I need a balcony. I hope you make the right decision.

......You have to look at what type of cruiser you are.....
Just want to add that I think you have summed it up perfectly in that one statement.

If you are the energizer bunny type who bounces out of bed in the morning, gets dressed, combs your hair and goes dashing right out to the public decks, you probably don't need a balcony.

Having a balcony is ideal for slow starters like us who take our time getting up and getting dressed, and who greatly enjoy having our own private outside space for the entire cruise with everything close at hand.

It is comforting to know that we can step out there at any hour of the day or night without frightening anyone as it doesn't matter what we are wearing or how horrible we may look at the time. ;)

Even if we're not physically out on the balcony we love having the ability to look to the horizon, watch the scenery at those odd moments during the day when we're in the cabin preparing for the next round of events or just sitting in the room reading a book or napping - it makes the cabin seem larger for us. We also sleep with the curtains open in Alaska (hence the desire for napping :D). While the sun rises early and stays late - that's the entire point for us and I've awakened during the night to see ghost-images of peaks passing by that I wouldn't trade for anything. But again, that's just our preference.

At first since I was taking my family I thought an Ocean view or inside might okay but......after thinking about it; I am not sure I could handle it. I so much like to open the sliding glass door and look out each night and each morning. I see that even with the Ocean view you can not really look out because it is behind the bed. I just feel that I would really miss the balcony. So i am going for it. But you must do what you can afford. And spending more money on doing a lot of fun things might be where you want to put your money. It is very important that I get a good night sleep and I am am a fuzzy sleeper so I know I need a balcony. I hope you make the right decision.

Exactly this! I kept going back and forth on what I wanted to do because of the cost but when it came down to it, I booked a balcony. Got a really nice hump one too - cabin 8088.

Worth it is very subjective, 1) if you can afford it and still do everything else then it becomes even more subjective. If you have to compromise on the excursions then I'd say not worth it at all.

I got a balcony, weather was nice, we spent maybe 20' actually out on it. Funny we looked out a lot, I'd say 98% of the time nobody out there. Its Alaska, and unless its a heat wave you wont' be spending hours in that private little space IMHO. We did tracy arm and it was nice to have our own little deck space, but my experience is you get more enjoyable experience getting out on the open deck and public balconies.

We always get a balcony and won't even consider a cruise unless I can book one. Our three Alaska cruises have been in September as we prefer cool weather cruising, which works out well for us. I like to be up when we are coming into port, sitting on the balcony with a cup of coffee, watching all the activity (if we dock on that side). Sometimes my better half had rather sleep a little longer and I don't disturb her out there.

We also like to have our room cool at night and can sometimes be hard to accomplish with the A/C in the cabins. Many a night we had the balcony door open about 1-2 inches, to cool it down even more. I enjoy the sounds of the ocean crashing against the bow along with the smell of the fresh, cold air at night. We always book as close to the bridge as I can get, as I want to be up high and feel the motion of the ocean. It's the first thing we do in the mornings is go out there and look around, along with the last thing we do before bedtime.

We also like to sit out there from time to time while scenic cruising. It's nice to be up on deck for a while with everyone else, yet we also like our own private space where we can hear the commentary on the TV while looking out. You don't want to stay in it all the time in the Fjords as will miss 1/2 of what is out there, yet sailing back out, it's a great place to sit.

Some people would not spend enough time on it to make it worth the cost, but it's a must for us, even on other cruises.

David

We always get a balcony and won't even consider a cruise unless I can book one. Our three Alaska cruises have been in September as we prefer cool weather cruising, which works out well for us. I like to be up when we are coming into port, sitting on the balcony with a cup of coffee, watching all the activity (if we dock on that side). Sometimes my better half had rather sleep a little longer and I don't disturb her out there.

We also like to have our room cool at night and can sometimes be hard to accomplish with the A/C in the cabins. Many a night we had the balcony door open about 1-2 inches, to cool it down even more. I enjoy the sounds of the ocean crashing against the bow along with the smell of the fresh, cold air at night. We always book as close to the bridge as I can get, as I want to be up high and feel the motion of the ocean. It's the first thing we do in the mornings is go out there and look around, along with the last thing we do before bedtime.

We also like to sit out there from time to time while scenic cruising. It's nice to be up on deck for a while with everyone else, yet we also like our own private space where we can hear the commentary on the TV while looking out. You don't want to stay in it all the time in the Fjords as will miss 1/2 of what is out there, yet sailing back out, it's a great place to sit.

Some people would not spend enough time on it to make it worth the cost, but it's a must for us, even on other cruises.

David

Agree with all of this! We haven't been to Alaska yet (going in May), but I would not go on any cruise without a balcony, for all the reasons you just listed. Love going out in the morning and watching as we pull into port, enjoying a sunset as we pull away in the evening, and sometimes going out in the middle of the night to star gaze or just get fresh air. I realize Alaska is a different experience than the Caribbean, but for us, having a balcony is part of the overall experience and I would never give that up.

Hi,

Is having a balcony on an Alaskan cruise worth it? Or is it just too cold? Are the views worth it? I live in Las Vegas so I'm not used to the cold. I normally book balconies on warm weather cruises.

I live in Key West, FL, so I am also someone who is not used to the cold...nor do I even own cold weather clothing.

That said, the balcony is a must, in my opinion. We did a southbound cruise from Seward to Vancouver last summer and sitting on my port side balcony wrapped in a blanket watching the shore line while my wife dressed for dinner is one of my most fond memories of that cruise. There are 20,000+ ft high peaks within view and it was amazing.

So, Alaska was our 3rd cruise. The first two cruises were warm weather and we were on the balcony the entire time. So naturally, everyone says get a balcony for Alaska. The first 2 days were so foggy, the captain had to constantly blow the horn as large chunks of ice were showing up on radar. This was end of August. The next two days rained the entire day. We really never used the balcony. We discovered the Viking Crown Lounge. It was open (for use anyway), very quiet and warm with great views. We sat there every day. You could see both sides of the ship (when you could see out). So for me, we didn't use it and I am a die hard balcony fan. I probably wouldn't get one again, however, ask me again after November as we will be in our first interior :eek: (it's a promenade so at least it will have a window)

My first two cruises (before Cruise Critic) were in Ocean View cabins and we enjoyed the cruises. Then I received an email for a 5 night Pacific Northwest Coastal cruise from Long Beach to Vancouver on NCL in a Junior Suite (with a balcony) for $399 pp. When all was said and done, with taxes, port fees & return airfare, we paid right around $500 pp.

I've done Alaska in a balcony cabin and sat outside at 5 am watching the floe ice going by, in the pouring rain bundled in my raincoat & umbrella, in the evening reading a book. It is my private space.

I have not looked back, if I couldn't afford a balcony cabin, I WOULD NOT BE CRUISING anywhere.

But only you can answer for yourself, we all have our own priorities. Happy Travels.

I can't afford a balcony. I'd rather go to Alaska in an inside cabin than stay home. I spend a lot of time on deck. We all have our priorities and budgets.

I agree with you completely! If we had to have a balcony we would not have seen or done nearly what we have been able to. We are budget travellers and would far sooner spend on experiences than on accommodations :)

I am also one who loves having a balcony for Alaska.

It makes the entire cruise so much more enjoyable.

If I could not afford one, I would postpone the cruise for a while and save up until I could.

I would rather cut back on expenses someplace else (like bringing bagged lunches to work instead of going out for lunch, or not buying new clothing) instead of taking an Alaska cruise without a balcony.

Edited by varoo

I am also one who loves having a balcony for Alaska.

It makes the entire cruise so much more enjoyable.

If I could not afford one, I would postpone the cruise for a while and save up until I could.

I would rather cut back on expenses someplace else (like bringing bagged lunches to work instead of going out for lunch, or not buying new clothing) instead of taking an Alaska cruise without a balcony.

I already bring bag lunches and don't buy many new clothes, and when I do they are on sale. You can only cut back so much. I can budget going every summer in an inside, but could only go every other year in a balcony. I don't get that much extra enjoyment from the balcony to wait an extra year for it. The last time I had a balcony, we had chain smokers next to us, and I barely used the balcony at all. Luckily that's not an issue any more on Princess.

We have been to Alaska 12 times (11 balcony cabins and 1 inside cabin). Do I feel a balcony cabin is a necessity --- absolutely not. The ships offer a lot of great viewing space from their decks so it's not like you won't see anything if you don't have a balcony. Cabins are merely a personal choice.

Alaska excursions can be very costly. I personally would never sacrifice excursions for a balcony.