Complaints about White Bay from International cruisers.......

Seems like complaints about White Bay are not confined to locals. Heres a a thread on the Oceania board . They had a free shuttle, but still had a long wait.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2005005

David did they stop at Brisbane and if their complaining about White Bay what would they say if they had to dock at the grain terminal

DH and I will be departing from White Bay at the end of the month for our cruise to Kobe. This will be our first experience, but he is not looking forward to it. The reports have not been positive, but I can't comment until I try it.

I feel sorry for the poor crew because, firstly they have limited time, and a $25 taxi ride each way is a lot of money, isn't it.

Nicki

David did they stop at Brisbane and if their complaining about White Bay what would they say if they had to dock at the grain terminal

Haha, I can only guess not.

If you want a poor location, and expensive transport, that's double the inconvience of White Bay.

Hi - I am wondering if there is a bus or train to/from the grain terminal in Brisbane? How does the cruise line handle this - surely there must be shuttles to nearby shopping or sites.... Or is it just ships tours available???

White Bay is not a problem for passengers debarking or embarking. Everything runs pretty smoothly in that department.

The problems occur when ships overnight there and the agents have not arranged the proper shuttle services, such as putting mini buses on instead of full sized buses.

Hugh

Hi - I am wondering if there is a bus or train to/from the grain terminal in Brisbane? How does the cruise line handle this - surely there must be shuttles to nearby shopping or sites.... Or is it just ships tours available???

They usually put on a shuttle bus to the centre of the CBD. There aren't any nearby shopping centres or tourist sights.:)

White Bay is not a problem for passengers debarking or embarking

100% agree - its quite ok for the processing function - but location wise when compared to the Overseas Passenger Terminal and it's location and proximity to the Opera House, Bridge and CBB there is no comparison

They usually put on a shuttle bus to the centre of the CBD. There aren't any nearby shopping centres or tourist sights.:)

Nor any bus or train.

It's just shuttles and taxis.

Thinking about it even more, in the other thread some say they would like to switch to Melbourne. However, although there is at least public transport closer than the bus in Sydney, the cost is higher for public transport (due to the need to get a card) and travel time for travellers is similar to the taxi in Sydney White Bay. I wouldn't call it better, just similar.

Grain wharf Brisbane still gets the wooden spoon though.

Thanks Aus!

Any suggestions for an independent tour off a cruise ship?

If the "shuttle" takes us to the "CBD" - which I assume is a Central Business District, what do folks do....

Although we have travelled extensively in central and northern Australia and done coastal cities other than the Gold Coast, we are wondering about what can be done via a cruise ship...Would there be any car rental spots that would allow us to get off at the Grain Terminal and do the coast overnight then pick up the same ship in Airlie Beach?

Thanks Aus!

Any suggestions for an independent tour off a cruise ship?

If the "shuttle" takes us to the "CBD" - which I assume is a Central Business District' date=' what do folks do....

Although we have travelled extensively in central and northern Australia and done coastal cities other than the Gold Coast, we are wondering about what can be done via a cruise ship...Would there be any car rental spots that would allow us to get off at the Grain Terminal and do the coast overnight then pick up the same ship in Airlie Beach?[/quote']

The answer to your last question is No but even if it was yes, the distance form Brisbane to Airlie Beach is around 1100 klms (700 miles) and , if you have seen parts of Northern And Central Australia, I don't think that the experience of driving to Airlie Beach would be too much different to what you have already experienced. It is something of a misnomer to think of the Bruce Highway as being a "coast road" - you don't see too much of the "coast" on that road :(

Barry