14 day cruise..do not want tp pay extra for dining

b_cruise

I have no way to tell if you, or anyone else, will get "sick of the food". That really sounds like a personal feeling...not something I could predict.

You wll have a number of dining options available to you at no charge...2 main dining rooms, the buffet, the blue lagoon, room service, etc.

I can't see why a person couldn't survive on that....but thats just me.

On our fourteen day cruise in November, they had different meals the first week from the ones they provided in the restaurants on the second week. There was plenty of variety. Unless you order the same thing each night from the side of the menu which stays the same daily, you shouldn't be bored with the meals. NCL's food is quite good.

You can go to the buffet and MDR as well as other venues without a fee. Have heard folks complain the buffet does not change. Do not do buffets so can't comment. But, if you ate all the choices every night yeah it might get old. Rather pick one or two. Vary it up.

The MDR has one side that changes daily with 3-4 entree choices, as well as their every day ones. So, even if the menus were repeated, just order one you hVe not tried.

I guess a picky eater might feel limited, but the average person should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even on a 14 day cruise I'm always disappointed that I didn't get to try all the food offerings (free). But stomach only so big...although much bigger by end of cruise.

So true :D DH & I are always complaining that we didn't try, "this restaurant or that restaurant".. seriously, looking forward to cruises that will allow us to try it all...

Doubt you'll have any trouble with boredom re: food... lots to choose from. Enjoy your cruise.. :)

Though you will see people here somehow knowing what they will want to eat 73 days from now... in all reality, you can wait and decide when you get onboard. You might want to try a few speciality, but wait and see how the mood strikes you.

Brenda, you might find the Freestyle Dining Guide to be an informative source for your cruise:

http://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/freestyle-dining

:o

Thanks Colin, that helped me a lot!! One more question, the coffee cafe said complimentary. I'm assuming that it does not include lattes? Capicinos? Thanks again everyone! I usually cruise arrival but I'm really looking forward to NCL the more I read!!

One more question, the coffee cafe said complimentary. I'm assuming that it does not include lattes? Capicinos? Thanks again everyone! I usually cruise arrival but I'm really looking forward to NCL the more I read!!

No, speciality coffees are not complimentary, sorry. Only regular (and decaf) brewed coffee is complimentary.

While I love food, for me its the dining experience that counts when I cruise. We've been on a couple 14 day cruises and on several different ships and lines and every eating experience has been fantastic with lots of variety. We have a 30 day b2b coming up in the fall all on the same ship so I'll find out what that will be like but I'm predicting that it too will be greater than my expectations. I may need to add another 15 minutes on to my exercise schedule and another km or two to my daily walk to keep up with that many days of luxury 5 Star dining. You need to always watch your attitude. It blows me away when I am eating a fantastic meal with great friends and I hear people at another table complaining about the food, or this or that. Then another joins in and another and before long you have a whole group finding fault with the smallest details. That doesn't mean that my steak hasn't come to me a bit more done than I like it now and then but I won't tell the waiter because he'll keep bringing me another one until it's perfect and ... a steak is a steak - and I eat casseroles at home … and they are great too. Bon Appetite!

I hear ya Freedom750. The first cruise I was on royal carribean at a table for eight. Eating my first meal that honestly I thought was amazing...never had service or food like that in my life. My table mates were complaining and even sending food back. My eyeballs must have been popping out of my head, lol!!I also was almost uncomfortable at he way the cabin stewards treated us. I felt like royalty which I just was not used too at all, ha... Thus my love for cruising!

Hey there Brendacruise,

If you have the dough to do a 14 night cruise and you are concerned about your food then may I say my DW and I bite the bullet and go for the Ultimate Dining Package 149 per= 298 on a April 5 out of N.Y. for 9 nights. We know what to expect each night---A+ service and food---

Note.....our cruise in December, the food on the Spirit was poor......cold, gloopy congealed gravy, long wait times for service etc. In hindsight, should have complained more, and/or more pay restaurants which were excellent.

For a 14-day cruise, I'd seriously look into the Ultimate Dining Package. You're only paying once so you don't need to think about how much each restaurant costs and it opens up all possible choices, including choices that aren't available any other way (multiple restaurants on the same night - Apps at one restaurant, entree at another, dessert at a third :) )

We did it on PoA 7-day and we had to forgo the MDR and Cadillac to be able to squeeze them all in. On a 14-day, I think it would be perfect.

am I going to get sick of the food on a 14 day cruise if I don't pay for any special restaurants? I'm on the Spirit so how many food choices will I have?

The menu does change somewhat everyday with 15 different entrees, but like most cruises (we did a 12 day on Princess and one on HAL) after awhile the food does begin to taste pretty much the same. Think about when you cook at home, does everything you fix weeks taste new and exciting? I would add just one suggestion: do try at least one specialty dining, it doesn't have to be the most expensive one, but it will be worth it to try one. This is not to say the food won't be enjoyable, but it will be somewhat similar form time to time. As has been mentioned: you have lots of options, not just the main dining rooms.

Edited by newmexicoNita

We did 12 night on Spirit and ate in the buffet all but two nights. Only one night the buffet didn't really have a great main course, but there are so many sides that's it's virtually impossible to not be full at every meal!

Every night had a different "theme" according to the port we were in also. We were never at a loss for food!

We did the spirit and loved the itinerary and ship!! Food was never an issue. most days we were so tired from touring that we would shower, eat and go to bed!

We had lunch off the ship so that brought variety! Loved the sushi bar and ate in the French restaurant once to celebrate birthdays of friends we met on cruisecritic! We also did the chefs table!!!! Awesome!!!!

We never plan to go to specialty we just end up there sometimes! Go with the flow. I do not remember a bad meal or service in any of the food venues!!! And we had good food!!!

OP.. we were on a 15 day cruise on the Dawn and honestly we had a hard time because the food was soo good in the main dining room that we did not get to eat in the Specialty restaurants as much as we wanted to.

I have no way to tell if you, or anyone else, will get "sick of the food". That really sounds like a personal feeling...not something I could predict.

You wll have a number of dining options available to you at no charge...2 main dining rooms, the buffet, the blue lagoon, room service, etc.

I can't see why a person couldn't survive on that....but thats just me.

OMG.. SOOOO agree