dress code on millennium

7504.walker

"Lounge suit" in England is what Americans call a "Business Suit" -- where coat and trousers are all cut from the same cloth.

You will see a mix of Tuxedos, Dinner Jackets, and Business suits on formal nights. Some may even wear what Americans call a "sport coat", meaning something like a blazer or a corduroy, suede or tweed jacket, even though they are much more casual.

Be as formal as you please on the Formal nights, you won't be alone.

Sometimes I really wonder whats so hard to understand about "Formal"?

The lack of both uniformity and enforcement.

There really is no "formal" on Celebrity (meaning everyone in formal wear, or even dark suits) in many years.

The lack of both uniformity and enforcement.

There really is no "formal" on Celebrity (meaning everyone in formal wear, or even dark suits) in many years.

Amazingly enough, the sun continues to rise each morning... who'd-a-thunk. :eek: :) :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60

I sat across from a gentleman wearing a bright orange polo, khaki shorts, and flip flops at our last formal night. I also saw many of the >50 cruisers wearing polos and khaki pants on formal nights. Most of the younger crowd was dressed to impressed.

Amazingly enough, the sun continues to rise each morning... who'd-a-thunk. :eek: :) :rolleyes:

Yep. And the second deck of the dining room did NOT collapse onto the first upon someone dressed in a blazer, dress shirt and tie! :)

I sat across from a gentleman wearing a bright orange polo, khaki shorts, and flip flops at our last formal night. I also saw many of the >50 cruisers wearing polos and khaki pants on formal nights. Most of the younger crowd was dressed to impressed.

My take on this is that many of the cruisers over 50 have been on multiple cruises, many of the younger crowd not so many.

In our case, we got "over" formal nights about 75 of them ago. We still dress nicely, he in sport coat, dress slacks, shirt and tie, she in very nice slack and jacket outfit.

And, we don't buy the "host" (meaning the Captain) requests it so it is your duty to comply. That went on the wayside a long time ago on a Celebrity ship when we spent a very nice evening in the lounge with the Captain on a formal night when he was dressed in his day wear (open neck short sleeve white shirt and slacks). Yes, some of the senior staff enjoys dressing in their dress uniforms but lots see it as a necessary evil.

I can't believe I am actually posting this but.......to me dress pants nice shirt and a tie is much more formal than just dress pants and a sport coat with no tie. What is it about wearing a sport coat with no tie that fits in the category of "formal" wear?....just my thoughts! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Than normal, please no bib overhauls or shorts, a jacket would be nice, but not necessary now days, no matter what is said, read or screamed.

If dressing to the nines is your thing, go for it you will not be out of place or alone in your appearance.

Actually, a jacket IS specified in the dress code.

Many men who have arrived at the dini g room without one have been handed one by a Headwaiter.

Of course the occasional boor slips throug in a t-shirt. But that is no reason for us to mistake him for anything other than that

I can't believe I am actually posting this but.......to me dress pants nice shirt and a tie is much more formal than just dress pants and a sport coat with no tie. What is it about wearing a sport coat with no tie that fits in the category of "formal" wear?....just my thoughts! ;)

Agreed. And much easier to pack for, when a 50 lb luggage limit makes packing for a 2 week cruise a real challenge. While on shorter cruises we usually bring jackets, we sometimes just bring a nice dark color dress shirt, slacks, and tie without a jacket, which looks just as nice. We haven't been turned away on RCCL, NCL, or Princess on a formal night doing that. This will be our first Celebrity cruise (next month) and we're torn whether to pack jackets too. But it's a 13-day cruise (and 17 days total trip), so we'd really like to leave the jacket behind. I'm just not sure if they'll let us in if we don't bring them though, since it sounds like Celebrity is a bit more upscale than RCCL, NCL, and Princess.

Agreed. And much easier to pack for, when a 50 lb luggage limit makes packing for a 2 week cruise a real challenge. While on shorter cruises we usually bring jackets, we sometimes just bring a nice dark color dress shirt, slacks, and tie without a jacket, which looks just as nice. We haven't been turned away on RCCL, NCL, or Princess on a formal night doing that. This will be our first Celebrity cruise (next month) and we're torn whether to pack jackets too. But it's a 13-day cruise (and 17 days total trip), so we'd really like to leave the jacket behind. I'm just not sure if they'll let us in if we don't bring them though, since it sounds like Celebrity is a bit more upscale than RCCL, NCL, and Princess.

Having been on Celebrity I will say that my son and husband did wear a jacket and tie, but I can assure you that not everyone did and nobody was turned away. My son had to squeeze into his jacket just because it was the dress code and we wanted to abide by it, although he had to take it off to eat cuz it was quite small. He is a growing teenager and I didn't want to buy a new one last year just for one dinner (we only did one formal night) since he would never wear it again after that. Now I have the same dilemma this year. We are leaving next month and he doesn't have a jacket. I'm sure someone would suggest Goodwill for something cheap, but none to be had there. He has the pants, shirt and tie, but so far no jacket. Maybe he will have to wear one of my husband's.....which would be HUGE on him, but he would be following the dress code, right?! ;)

You know we have 3 formal nights for this cruise and you may need at lease one jacket if not business suit or just rent one at the ship.:rolleyes:

You know we have 3 formal nights for this cruise and you may need at lease one jacket if not business suit or just rent one at the ship.:rolleyes:

Thanks, but we're not really interested in renting dinner jackets. If we wanted to pay extra we'd just go to the specialty restaurants instead where the food is better and they don't possibly turn you away for not wearing a jacket. ;)

But more preferable would be to get the MDR meals that we've already paid for. What we have to decide is whether to leave behind a few other items we'd like to pack in order to fit jackets in, or just take our chances with getting in with dress shirt/tie/slacks, and maybe getting stuck eating at the buffet if they turn us away. I guess we'll just decide when it's time to pack, and let the scale decide. :o

We will, of course, need (casual) jackets in port, since it's only April and it could still get chilly at times. Still deciding on what outerwear to bring. Probably something like a fleece and a light windbreaker in case there's rain. Only a month away now. Hard to believe it's almost here!

Having been on Celebrity I will say that my son and husband did wear a jacket and tie, but I can assure you that not everyone did and nobody was turned away. My son had to squeeze into his jacket just because it was the dress code and we wanted to abide by it, although he had to take it off to eat cuz it was quite small. He is a growing teenager and I didn't want to buy a new one last year just for one dinner (we only did one formal night) since he would never wear it again after that. Now I have the same dilemma this year. We are leaving next month and he doesn't have a jacket. I'm sure someone would suggest Goodwill for something cheap, but none to be had there. He has the pants, shirt and tie, but so far no jacket. Maybe he will have to wear one of my husband's.....which would be HUGE on him, but he would be following the dress code, right?! ;)

Thank you. That's good to hear.

From what I've seen, they're even less inclined to turn a child/teenager away, so personally I don't think I'd worry about it. We're about 40 years past teenager stage though. ;)

...But more preferable would be to get the MDR meals that we've already paid for....
Actually you really can get the MDR meals regardless of what you are wearing, or not wearing, because you can always order dinner from the MDR menu and have it delivered to your stateroom.

If you have a stateroom balcony with a table at dining height and the weather cooperates, many passengers enjoy having dinner in peace and privacy out on the balcony where the ambiance and scenery are often preferable to the noisy, crowded dining room.

If you are staying in a suite, your butler will serve the dinner to you in order, one course at a time, if you wish.

Otherwise, the entire meal is delivered at the same time, in individual covered dishes on trays, and you then uncover them and serve yourself in whatever order you like.