Just back from the Grandeur... 2/28 - 3/5

CayugI have a question. you say on NCL they use life boats?? that sounds scary lol. how big is the life boat, is it the normal ones they have on the side of the boat? and how do u get in? it seems a little small and dangerous to get in that small thing while tendered out in the middle of the ocean:eek:

CayugI have a question. you say on NCL they use life boats?? that sounds scary lol. how big is the life boat, is it the normal ones they have on the side of the boat? and how do u get in? it seems a little small and dangerous to get in that small thing while tendered out in the middle of the ocean:eek:

Yes, NCL uses life boats to tender. There is quite a large opening, from the side to the top (if memory serves me correctly). The life boat goes along side the ship, and you enter/exit the ship from the lowest deck. Didn't find it scary or dangerous, just a little close... :)

Did you have any experience with the kids clubs? Also is there anywhere for kids in swim diapers to play on board, are the allowed in the main pool?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think kids who are not PT can use any pool on grandeur by his is from the RCCL site:

Are there any restrictions regarding children in the pools - Royal Caribbean International Q: Are there any restrictions regarding children in the pools? A: Please note: Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups or who are not COMPLETELY toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, whirlpools or H2O zone. Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained may use the Baby Splash Zone specially designated for them on the Freedom of the Seas®, Liberty of the Seas®, Independence of the Seas®, Oasis of the Seas®, and Allure of the Seas®.

I saved some of the inserts from my Cruise Compass's:

Day 2: 50 min Swedish Message w/foot and ankle message. $133.00

Day 4: 20-20-20 special. choose 3 20-min treatments: back, necka and shoulders; hand and arm message; foot and ankle message or facial or body brush exfoliation. This one was offered a few times.

I remember seeing Go-White specials as well as specials for men. Wish I had kept all the inserts....

There was also a Last Day Special.

25 minute aromatherapy massage followed by a 25 minute facial and free hot stones on the back for $89.

OP,

Was there a dance band that featured contemporary music? What is their name and style of music?

Thanks!

Mike

There was a couple of bands that played in the centrum daily. I don't recall their names... the music varied from classical, big band to 70's style.

Question for OP, you mentioned you used the gym. How are the locker rooms, and do they have a steam room/sauna in the locker room? TXU

While I did use the gym, I didn't use the locker rooms. I did utilize the spa and do seem to remember a steam/sauna there...

There was a couple of bands that played in the centrum daily. I don't recall their names... the music varied from classical, big band to 70's style.

Any chance you could check the CRUISE COMPASS for the name of the band and place of venue?

Thanks!:)

Mike

Yes. We hit some rough water just as we left the Chesapeake Bay on our way to Bermuda, and you could feel the pitch a lot. We had a forward cabin on deck 8, and it was very noticeable. I have no idea how big the waves were, so cannot compare but I would guess it was not nearly as bad as what you hit. I remember going up to WJ and practically having it to myself as so many people stayed in their cabins. It seems that this is a recurring theme - rough seas.

So, Coco Cay was not too crowded with Enchantment there? That is a relief.

Baltimore is so easy to self-disembark and walk to car, so I can believe it. We left our room by 7:30am or so, walked off by 8:30am, and were back at home in Leesburg by 10:30-11:00am. Was the easiest trip home from a vacation ever! lol

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We were there in December with Enchantment, plenty of room! CoCo Cay is actually a HUGE place, they have greatly expanded the number of beaches and lounge chairs.

Not to hijack the thread, but these are some pictures i took with two ships at CoCo Cay

http://www.polerez.com/cruisephotos/index.php/Grandeur-of-the-Seas-12-2013/Day-5

We were there in December with Enchantment, plenty of room! CoCo Cay is actually a HUGE place, they have greatly expanded the number of beaches and lounge chairs.

Not to hijack the thread, but these are some pictures i took with two ships at CoCo Cay

http://www.polerez.com/cruisephotos/index.php/Grandeur-of-the-Seas-12-2013/Day-5

Thanks Brad! I will take a look at the pics once I am back home.

OP, you mentioned a pool side BBQ, was this done at night? With music? I look forward to when Royal does the dancing under the stars party at night by the pool. although crowded, the music and food is always better IMO. Although i love Allure, i miss the fact that they don't do it on that ship or Oasis.

What is a 3 meal package ? Never heard of this before and where can you purchase it ?

We were on her 9 days last year. We bought the 3 meal package (a meal at each) and then we had an extra meal from our TA, so we ate a chops twice. All were very good.

What is a 3 meal package ? Never heard of this before and where can you purchase it ?

the 3 meal package you can purchase online or on board, they have it available when the ship has a few specialty restaurants. for instance if you purchase this package you can probably dine at 3 places for the price of 2. I did a meal package on Allure back in november. We dined at 4 places and paid for 3

Do you know how much parking is in Baltimore this will be our first time going out of there we usually go out of Bayonne

Yes. We hit some rough water just as we left the Chesapeake Bay on our way to Bermuda, and you could feel the pitch a lot. We had a forward cabin on deck 8, and it was very noticeable. I have no idea how big the waves were, so cannot compare but I would guess it was not nearly as bad as what you hit. I remember going up to WJ and practically having it to myself as so many people stayed in their cabins. It seems that this is a recurring theme - rough seas.

So, Coco Cay was not too crowded with Enchantment there? That is a relief.

Baltimore is so easy to self-disembark and walk to car, so I can believe it. We left our room by 7:30am or so, walked off by 8:30am, and were back at home in Leesburg by 10:30-11:00am. Was the easiest trip home from a vacation ever! lol

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Can you use it for the same place or does it have to be different places ?

And where do you find it for purchase online ?

the 3 meal package you can purchase online

or on board, they have it available when the ship has a few specialty restaurants. for instance if you purchase this package you can probably dine at 3 places for the price of 2. I did a meal package on Allure back in november. We dined at 4 places and paid for 3

Parking in Baltimore was $15 per day as of our trip last month on Grandeur. They have a good system from dropping of luggage to parking. None of the crowds & long lines like Bayonne. Helpful & friendly staff. I prefer Bayonne because it is closer but the convenience & ease of Baltimore makes it the easiest port I've ever departed from.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Parking in Baltimore was $15 per day as of our trip last month on Grandeur. They have a good system from dropping of luggage to parking. None of the crowds & long lines like Bayonne. Helpful & friendly staff. I prefer Bayonne because it is closer but the convenience & ease of Baltimore makes it the easiest port I've ever departed from.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed...Baltimore is the easiest port. They are very friendly and helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wacky question on parking, but do they take credit cards? Last time we left from there (2005) they only took cash for parking

YES, no issues with a credit card

(not a wacky question! An important thing to know)

Edited by bradpole