Platinum Studio Royal Princess Beware

NeurosurgeryNP

Since they are not charging a sitting fee, as many land based photogs do,, the idea is to get people in the door. $500 will scare them off. That said, if you ask before they start shooting, they should tell you.

I am certain the Platinum photogs are a step above the norm, and also might be compensated based on sales?

I'm sure they are using a photographer who knows their stuff, how to make the subjects feel at ease and to capture that 'look!' It isn't like the shots they take as you board, step off at a port, or sit at a meal.

My daughter will be graduating this spring with a degree in commercial photography and these prices are not out of line for the work that is done.

Maybe Princess needs to place the price out there up front. They could put a comparison of what this would cost on land at a reputable studio too. Then maybe people would understand the cost.

Then on the other hand, if people know what the cost is, they wouldn't get as many to have a sitting and see what magic can be done with a camera, a good eye and great photographer.

Since we have a daughter who will do this for us, we wouldn't thing of taking money we could give her and give it to an outsider. . .

If we didn't have her, we would maybe do this for a special anniversary or occasion.

Professional photographers charge a lot! I remember the sticker shock when I received the stunning photos of my son as a senior in high school. It is what it is, but for most of us it's just too pricey.

We went through a sitting in the Platinum Studio with ourselves, DD, SIL, their children and a grandchild of our DS. Having that much family together on an Alaskan cruise was a dream come true, especially for DW. The photos came out great. Even though the price was quite dear, we purchased five prints and the CD. The prints were given has Christmas gifts (we kept one).

Today when I look at the one mounted on our wall I never think of the price, only how wonderful that trip was. Hopefully these will become family heirlooms to be passed down through the generations.

BTW, the CD does not contain high quality image files. It's really a DVD intended for monitor display. While you can stop the player and grab a screen shot, the quality is nowhere near that of the prints.

This was something I planned on doing when this cruise was booked.

I researched the Platinum Studio here on CC, so I knew going in approx. what pricing we would be looking at.

Really happy we decided to do it...but I doubt we will ever do it again.

Nancy

I guess we'll stick with our Dawn Princess portrait from 2001. Got it as part of a package deal with champagne, champagne breakfast, & a gift card. I think it was $50.

Steve & Pete

While it is a lot of money, it is not out of line with the costs you might see with a premium land based photographer. On land you can easily see digital files going for thousands. If you're used to shopping mall type photography prices, you will be in for one heck of a sticker shock.

Its just like the spa, people complain about the pricing, but if you go to a good spa on land, you know their prices aren't that far off the mark.

We're not surprised by the pricing, we have trouble coughing up the funds for the regular photos they do, so we always politely refuse the offer.

Wow...those prices are unbelievable! I do have to say that the "regular" photos that we had taken on the Royal in July were the best photos and photographers we have seen. We bought several of the photos of the family that were taken on formal night with the white background (I am not a fan of those busy backgrounds and fake backdrops) and I look at them every day! Expensive, but totally worth it!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We spent $800 on pictures one sailing. They were just regular pictures of Us, the kids, Us and the kids. I don't even know where those pictures are now although I did scan them into the computer. I would never spend that much money on one picture. Thanks for the warning.

We had this done on the Golden last year. We were able to negotiate a bit on the price. We ended up paying 750.00 for 6 prints. Really nice quality.

My wifes parents were with us and we decided that special photos were warranted.

Umm I think the CD fee was really reasonable for awesome pictures. That kind of photography is not the boiler plate canned photos that happen in front of the back drops on formal night. It is really sad that the price was out of reach for the OP. Only so much money and so many neat things to spend it on on a cruise. But I am going to add the cost of a CD into my next cruise budget so maybe we can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Umm I think the CD fee was really reasonable for awesome pictures. That kind of photography is not the boiler plate canned photos that happen in front of the back drops on formal night. It is really sad that the price was out of reach for the OP. Only so much money and so many neat things to spend it on on a cruise. But I am going to add the cost of a CD into my next cruise budget so maybe we can do it.

BTW, the CD does not contain high quality image files. It's really a DVD intended for monitor display. While you can stop the player and grab a screen shot, the quality is nowhere near that of the prints.

At the price they charge for a CD, I would negtioate to get high quality image files.

The rates are comparable to a private studio on land. It's not like you have to pay in advance. On our last cruise, the platinum studio sold out of spots. Depends on the photog, obviously, but I know of two couples that did it and they raved about it. The photos looked amazing. Is it worth the money? Value is subjective. I would never pay hundreds of dollars for a sporting event but people do. On the other hand, it's important for me to have a balcony. To each his own. But don't bash the product for the prices.

• 1 year later...
I'm not a business person, but wouldn't it increase sales to lower the prices? Is it better to sell one at $185 or five at $100?

The whole economic concept of Price Point is weird but fascinating. What seems to be at work here is more psychology than production and materials cost. There are folks who cruise for whom $$$ is not a consideration and another group that is truly captured by the art and willing to reach deep to their pockets. There are apparently enough of both to make this a profit center or it wouldn't last long. Personally, I have a hard time understanding the prices for the regular photo packages. I like to take pictures and have zero desire to pay for what I enjoy doing anyway.:)

I'm not a business person, but wouldn't it increase sales to lower the prices? Is it better to sell one at $185 or five at $100?

Assume (with no basis for the assumption) that there is a 50% profit.

Profit from one $185 sale would be $92.50.

If sold for $100, the profit would be $7.50 and selling five at $100 would have a profit of $37.50.

So, they would have to sell thirteen at $100 each to make the same profit as selling one at $185. That would be 13 times the effort to make the same profit.

I had considered doing this on the Crown last Thanksgiving as I was cruising with my mother for the first time. We spoke to a photographer before hand who was very up front with the costs of the prints. we were worried we would fall in love with the pictures and want to buy them all; since we didnt have the $ in the budget at the time we skipped it all together, but I did get the sense we would have walked away with fabulous pictures. Maybe another time