Need help finding non RC excursions

kpee

We will be leaving next month on the Allure/Western Caribbean. In the past we have always booked excursions through RC. This trip my husband wants to plan things that are not RC supported. I'm very nervous. I've always booked through RC in case we are running late etc. they will hold the ship until their excursions return - everyone else is on their own. He's talked to other cruisers and they tell him this is the way to go. Do different things AND save money. What are your thoughts? Plus if you have been on the Western Caribbean route, what non-RC excursions have been enjoyable? Thanks guys!

In all of the excursions we've done over the years, we have almost always booked our own excursions with private tour operators. They have been, without exception, better and more cost effective that the excursions we booked with the cruise line. How did we find what to do and who to book with? First, I see what excursions the cruiseline offers for the ports, just to get an idea of what's available to see and do at any particular port. Then I check with folks on the Roll Call to see what they are doing, and finally, I start my own research using Trip Advisor as a guide, and then see what the tour operators' websites look like and what they offer. Also, the Ports section of CC has a ton of information. It does take work, but we've always had great experiences.

Keep in mind that the private tour operators know the ships schedules, and they know that they MUST get passengers back in a timely fashion. Their very livlihood depends on it!

Edited by KeywestK

The large buses. Invariably you spend too much time waiting to get 50 people on and off those buses at every stop. And there are always stragglers. It just wastes too much time. Private tour operators use smaller buses/vans, always smaller groups, and it's easy to keep track of everyone. Some people may not think this is a big deal, but to me it is.

Edited by KeywestK

In all of the excursions we've done over the years, we have almost always booked our own excursions with private tour operators. They have been, without exception, better and more cost effective that the excursions we booked with the cruise line. How did we find what to do and who to book with? First, I see what excursions the cruiseline offers for the ports, just to get an idea of what's available to see and do at any particular port. Then I check with folks on the Roll Call to see what they are doing, and finally, I start my own research using Trip Advisor as a guide, and then see what the tour operators' websites look like and what they offer. Also, the Ports section of CC has a ton of information. It does take work, but we've always had great experiences.

Keep in mind that the private tour operators know the ships schedules, and they know that they MUST get passengers back in a timely fashion. Their very livlihood depends on it!

Great ideas Karen! Thanks so much!

:)

We signed up for a tour in a VW sun buggy with Island Tours. It turned out we were the only ones signed up that day. Cost was $74 per person. We had our own personal guide that we followed around the island. Our guide, Omar, took us all over the island and made us a great lunch. Drinks were included at each stop along the way. Lasted about 4 1/2 hours.

If I was to do it again, I would just rent one from a dealer like Isis for about $50 a day. The island is not hard to get around. The tricky part would be getting back to the rental office downtown.

In Falmouth last week and used Phil Lafayette for a tour to the Blue Hole and then river tubing. I highly recommend, Phil is a blast.

Cozumel - take a taxi for $11 to Chankannab Park. Admission is about $20 but worth it - pool, dolphins, sea lion show, very clean. The beach fronts on snorkeling, not a sand beach.

Check websites and Trip Advisor on both these places.

That is exactly how we went about finding non-cruiseline excursions too - same way Karen described. Though we have also booked through the cruiseline too.

My husband was very nervous when we did the following excursion but afterwards he was so happy we did.

My favorite excursion ever was in Costa Maya we went to the Chacchoben ruins (Ivan was our guide - The Native Choice,) then we continued on to a local family's home where we had a meal outdoors, a little entertainment and the kids learned to make tortilla's. It was amazing to see how the family lived (certainly an eye opener for our daughters). they showed us their family chapel. They lived in like a compound of sorts, a bunch of little homes, with a dirt courtyard. We felt so welcomed. They returned us to the ship with time to spare.

we did this same trip too: Cozumel - take a taxi for $11 to Chankannab Park. Admission is about $20 but worth it - pool, dolphins, sea lion show, very clean. The beach fronts on snorkeling, not a sand beach.

Edited by spm422

Go to the Caribbean Ports of Call Forum and then you can look up each island for recommendations on private tours.

+1

On Labadee, you have no choice but to use RC's excursions. There are no 3rd party vendors.

We booked our Dolphin Swim direct with Chakannaab park when were were first time cruisers on Oasis last year. We were on our own for transportation and that was (very) slightly confusing (finding the cab stand), but after that, it was great!

Labadee is a beach day....no excursions needed at all!

We seldom do any "excursions"...we read up on our ports, and do our own thing. Unless you are a total scatterbrain, there's no reason that you should be late back to the ship! Always wear a WATCH...don't use your cell phone for the time! Make sure your watch is set to the same time as the ship's clocks before you leave in the morning.

Info is your friend, so read up on your other ports! Most things are easy (and cheap) to do on your own!

This is our plan of action also. We generally do private excursions and have wonderful experiences. With current communications, missing the ship would be rare. We had a flat tire on the way back from a tour and within minutes another van was there to take us back to the ship.

I might advise first time cruisers to take ship excursions, but if you've sailed before and "know the drill" you'll be fine.

enjoy

M

Go to the Caribbean Ports of Call Forum and then you can look up each island for recommendations on private tours.

AGree here. The ports of call boards are a great way to find out information. Just have a be a little patient as some boards are a lot less busy when you are used to this main board. Sometimes replies only come in every day or two. But use the search function for each port and search "things to do" or "excursions" and you will get all kinds of suggestions and also tour company names.

We have only ever done one ship sponsored excursion, and it was actually our worst one in the 9 cruises we have done. (partially due to thunderstorm, but the company should have never taken us snorkeling in those conditions)

We also used our roll call on our very first cruise, as I was "gun shy" about doing private excursions the very first time. It was a great way to meet new people and we have remained good friends with 5 of those couples and still cruise with them.

good luck

We have never cruised before but we are making our own arrangements for Cozumel and Jamaica. As others have said, the Ports of Call info here is invaluable, cross referenced with a touch of TripAdvisor.

I have two teenagers - on Cozumel we are going to Playa Mia for the day (pre booked) by taxi. I think there is a RCI excursion here but we want to have the flexibility of choosing our own timings. There seem to be several beach resorts available offering similar facilities, but the waterslides swung it for my kids. In Falmouth (Jamaica) we are doing a private tour to the Blue Hole waterfall which seems to be much quieter than the Dunns River Falls where most people go, and then tubing on the river. I decided today that we will do this as a private tour rather than as part of a group so we can do exactly what we want at a time to suit us. I have chosen Mark Morris tours, but there are quite a few providers that are consistently highly rated, so I'm not sure there's much to choose between them.

Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough, but I've not come across tales of people being dangerously late back to the ship. We will build in plenty of time as a precaution anyway.

We are sailing on 6th April. How about you, OP? :)

We will be leaving next month on the Allure/Western Caribbean. In the past we have always booked excursions through RC. This trip my husband wants to plan things that are not RC supported. I'm very nervous. I've always booked through RC in case we are running late etc. they will hold the ship until their excursions return - everyone else is on their own. He's talked to other cruisers and they tell him this is the way to go. Do different things AND save money. What are your thoughts? Plus if you have been on the Western Caribbean route, what non-RC excursions have been enjoyable? Thanks guys!

I understand your desire and trepidation. I just found a couple of good non RC excursions on the Eastern route, but that doesn't help you. I found these by reading other reviews or looking for recommendations on the Port of Call boards. Look for multiple reviews from different vendors. You can look at Travel Advisor, but those reviews don't always reflect the restraints of cruise passengers for time.

I like this statement and its very true. The 2nd private tour I did was in St Thomas and when RC changed the arrival time into St Thomas, I emailed them. They already knew of the change and advised people from our ship were his only customers that day and it wouldn't be a problem. It was very reassuring.

Labadee, Cozumel and Falmouth

Another good choice for Cozumel is take a taxi to Paradise Beach. Taxi rates are fixed, entrance is just a couple of dollars per person, which includes chairs/umbrellas/pool and beach access. You are, however, required to spend a minimum of $10 pp on food/beverage (which is certainly easy to do!) and it's a great beach day:):cool: http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

We arranged for a custom tour through Marva Shaw (http://www.knowjamaica.com) and Marva was wonderful to deal with. We did, however, have to cancel that tour, and she was very helpful in pointing us in the direction of something that would work better for us. She provides excellent customer service. I've since recommended her to other people who have been thrilled with their excursions.

Labadee is RCI's private island. No tours required.

I used to feel that way but lately I've been doing more private tours and it's no problem. The vendors know that if they ever caused a passenger to miss a ship they'd be out of business overnight. Just book your excursion early in the day and as has been mentioned make sure you know ship's time.

We have never cruised before but we are making our own arrangements for Cozumel and Jamaica. As others have said, the Ports of Call info here is invaluable, cross referenced with a touch of TripAdvisor.

I have two teenagers - on Cozumel we are going to Playa Mia for the day (pre booked) by taxi. I think there is a RCI excursion here but we want to have the flexibility of choosing our own timings. There seem to be several beach resorts available offering similar facilities, but the waterslides swung it for my kids. In Falmouth (Jamaica) we are doing a private tour to the Blue Hole waterfall which seems to be much quieter than the Dunns River Falls where most people go, and then tubing on the river. I decided today that we will do this as a private tour rather than as part of a group so we can do exactly what we want at a time to suit us. I have chosen Mark Morris tours, but there are quite a few providers that are consistently highly rated, so I'm not sure there's much to choose between them.

Perhaps I'm not looking hard enough, but I've not come across tales of people being dangerously late back to the ship. We will build in plenty of time as a precaution anyway.

We are sailing on 6th April. How about you, OP? :)

We will be sailing on the 20th

Enjoy your trip

Labadee, Cozumel and Falmouth

Some of our best days in port were spent freelancing around w/ a private taxi for the day. Was a bit nervous the first few times.

Labadee:

Beach Day, Especially if your decide to purchase a Booze package.

Coz:

Beaches: (Mr Sanchos, Paradise, Chankannab Park)

Tour: Cozumel Bar Hop, 5hrs, $65.00pp (see the other side of the island, beach hop from tiki bar to tiki bar w/ 1st shot @ ea. included, have lunch @ Coconuts) google it! lots of fun. In VERY good hands w/ Tom and Greg.

Depends on what kind of activities in Cozumel we did Wild Tours x-rails (dune buggies through mud if it's been raining dust if not and my family loved it!) we booked through RCI but I think we could have booked it on our own.

Falmouth did Dunns River since we had our SIL there (his first cruise.) We used Patrice Bailey and I was nervous she wouldn't actually be there, but she showed up and even knew my first name.

Most of the time we do our own thing and have never had any major problems! Some tour drivers are better than others but you get that any where

In Cozumel, I like Chankanaab. It is a short cab ride from the pier and about $10. There is so much to do there, some things cost extra, but it is a lot of fun without spending anything on top of the admission. Google Chankanaab and get coupons too. There are taxis waiting to take people back to the ship too. I do ship excursions if I am going a good distance from the ship, other than that I do a private excursion.