Packing

sk8rgirl4ever

Whatever you wear in the summer, bring on the cruise. There is not special clothing required! Daytime is ultra casual...shorts/tees/swimsuits! Dinner....you might want to wear capris/top, or slacks/top, or sundress...something along those lines. It's not a fashion show onboard....not by a LONG shot!

Really...bring what you wear in the same weather conditions at home.

Most of the packing lists have tons of non-needed items! This is simply a vacation...you don't need to prepare for the end of the world! Clothes, toiletries/makeup, and money...that's about it!

Edited by cb at sea

check out http://***************/pack_small.htm for some ideas. .....OK, that must not be allowed! :rolleyes: Google "cruise packing" and you'll come up with a bunch of websites. I agree to take less than you think you'll need.

They use more sodium than you probably do at home, also alcohol can cause you to retain fluids. Be careful not to take anything that's too tight. :o

Edited by 5326jan

I've traveled extensively for business and for pleasure and the only thing you have to make sure you don't forget is your credit card. There's always stores to buy whatever you may have forgotten or decided you can't live without! You can even buy another suitcase along the way if you really buy a lot. :)

Take less than you think you'll need. You'll still have too much!

Edited by 1313steve

Go through your morning ritual, take that stuff. Take clothing appropriate for the weather you will be experiencing. Take a small first aid kit, representing typical OTC meds plus a few bandaids. Take your camera. Credit card, passport, cash.

Everything else is just personal stuff you choose to have along. If it's on a list and you would never have thought to pack it, don't pack it as you will never need it.

Some of the lists get so long and are full of "what-if's". So be careful, don't weigh yourself down or spend extra $ for anything not necessary.

Whatever you wear in the summer, bring on the cruise. There is not special clothing required! Daytime is ultra casual...shorts/tees/swimsuits! Dinner....you might want to wear capris/top, or slacks/top, or sundress...something along those lines. It's not a fashion show onboard....not by a LONG shot!

Really...bring what you wear in the same weather conditions at home.

Most of the packing lists have tons of non-needed items! This is simply a vacation...you don't need to prepare for the end of the world! Clothes, toiletries/makeup, and money...that's about it!

Also keep in mind that you don't have to have a separate outfit for each day. To cut down on packing, try doing "mix & match". No one will care (or even notice) if you wear the same thing twice, as long as it's still clean. And if you absolutely have to wash something, there is a laundry room on board, or you can have an item cleaned for a nominal charge.

Agree totally with what everyone else has said. I make sure I have my cosmetics and toiletries that I use every day. I match up my things using a couple of basic, neutral colors that can be mixed and matched. You'll see me wearing those same black slacks more than once. Carry some sort of light jacket, sweater or a couple of wraps as the a/c can get chilly sometimes. I also make sure I have travel size OTC meds in a zip lock baggie. Even though you can buy most things at most ports, nothing is worse than having a head ache or cold in the middle of the night when the shops are closed. After many cruises, we have stopped carrying everything but the kitchen sink. We love packing lighter and haven't missed anything.

• 3 weeks later...
Go through your morning ritual, take that stuff. Take clothing appropriate for the weather you will be experiencing. Take a small first aid kit, representing typical OTC meds plus a few bandaids. Take your camera. Credit card, passport, cash.

Everything else is just personal stuff you choose to have along. If it's on a list and you would never have thought to pack it, don't pack it as you will never need it.

Some of the lists get so long and are full of "what-if's". So be careful, don't weigh yourself down or spend extra $ for anything not necessary.

Totally agree. I would add that for formal nights I carry dressy black slacks and a couple of sparkly tops. Capris, slacks, sundresses for the dining in the evening. Capri's and/or shorts and t's for the day. 2 swimsuits if you have beach and sea days. One to dry while you wear the other one. That's about it.

I am going on the carnival sunshine, and I have no clue what to pack if I am not a teenager and not a little kid, what can I do and what should I take?

My Darling Hubby has cruised before but was no help the forums were. I had 10 pairs of shoes, which I got down to 5, 2 flip flops, 1 pair of pumps, 1 dress shoes, I wore first three nights then luckily had a dressy pair of flats as my feet were swollen.

3 pairs of shorts, 3 tops all matched, two cool playsuits for island tours, 1 white shirt for a cover-up. Tuxedo straight leg pants, with three sparkly tops, 3 dresses for night. Everything I took I wore, and nothing needed to be sent for Ironing.

I have now gone from 5 bags to two, I've bought a great beachbag, with inside pockets for everything, lip gloss, wallet ,passport, suncream, wetwipes, have a suitcase already with sale items in for my next cruise roll on March 2015:)

I also keep a toiletries bag packed with the essentials. Duplicates of what I usually use. When I get back from a cruise, or trip, i restock, and pack it away for the next time. Saves a lot of time, and I have everything I need.

:D So true! If you took all of the things people suggest, you wouldn't have room for your clothes. :rolleyes:

LuLu

~~~

I am going on the carnival sunshine, and I have no clue what to pack if I am not a teenager and not a little kid, what can I do and what should I take?

I just cruised on the Sun Shine On February 23rd. The internet says they have refrigerators in the rooms. They do not! If I had known this I would have packed my portable soft-sided ice chest. Also there is no plugin in the bathroom and only one plug in in the dressing table area so bring a multi plug so you can plug in both your cell phone and your curling iron or whatever.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I just cruised on the Sun Shine On February 23rd. The internet says they have refrigerators in the rooms. They do not! If I had known this I would have packed my portable soft-sided ice chest. Also there is no plugin in the bathroom and only one plug in in the dressing table area so bring a multi plug so you can plug in both your cell phone and your curling iron or whatever.

Actually, there is an outlet in the bathroom. It's up near the light fixture. It's for an electric razor, and is connected to the light switch. So, when the light is turned off, the outlet is turned off too.

Actually, there is an outlet in the bathroom. It's up near the light fixture. It's for an electric razor, and is connected to the light switch. So, when the light is turned off, the outlet is turned off too.

I stand corrected. I didn't see it.

• 10 months later...
I have a plan for cruise packing. If you are interested, take a look at my family blog. It includes pictures and lots of tips.

http://karanandmichael.blogspot.com/2013/11/how-do-you-fit-everything-into-one.html

Just bobbed on your site like I did last March for a few tips, scrolled down thru your blogs to read your heartfelt statement, my condolences, but my ow my your memories through your blogs and photos are ever so special to a newbie like me, best wishes, Julie x

I have a plan for cruise packing. If you are interested, take a look at my family blog. It includes pictures and lots of tips.

http://karanandmichael.blogspot.com/2013/11/how-do-you-fit-everything-into-one.html

I love scrolling through people's blogs to see what tips I can pick up, even after travelling as much as we have. I enjoyed your blog and photos, compared my packing methods to yours, etc., and then my heart just dropped to see your last entry. My sincere sympathy on the loss of your husband; prayers for strength and peace for you. I am glad you were able to travel extensively together to create the wonderful memories that you will now take with you as you look to the future.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)