HH upsell to VQ

RetesGirl3

Upsell

Just got my third email from HAL regarding an upsell. The first one was on February 27. To go from an HH guarantee to a veranda was $79 to go from HH to Oceanview was $49. Then got my second upsell emailed to us on March 3. That was a veranda for $69 extra and oceanview for $39 extra. Then today I got my final upsell email. We snagged a VQ (after paying for HH guarantee) for $39 more each and we got to pick the cabin. I know, I read here on Cruise critic that the balcony is very small. However, we wanted to be up high on the 10th deck...So we are happy. We used HAL PCC when we originally booked the cruise.

Jane

I don't know if what I've been doing is an "upsell" or a "downsell", and I hope I made the right decision this morning.

I watch prices daily, and a month ago found that the VD balcony category was around $100 LESS than we paid for an ocean view. They gave us a guarantee for the VD, with an upgrade most likely.

Today, I found the VD for another $500 per person less. So, my TA called and they offered:

Guarantee VA balcony

or

$600 obc

I took the money, because we paid for an ocean view, are getting a balcony, there's only two VD cabins left, and I figure we'll get at least a VC or VB anyway. They basically are paying us the difference for one person from what we paid and the price of a VD now.

Bad choice? Good choice?

I don't know if what I've been doing is an "upsell" or a "downsell", and I hope I made the right decision this morning.

I watch prices daily, and a month ago found that the VD balcony category was around $100 LESS than we paid for an ocean view. They gave us a guarantee for the VD, with an upgrade most likely.

Today, I found the VD for another $500 per person less. So, my TA called and they offered:

Guarantee VA balcony

or

$600 obc

I took the money, because we paid for an ocean view, are getting a balcony, there's only two VD cabins left, and I figure we'll get at least a VC or VB anyway. They basically are paying us the difference for one person from what we paid and the price of a VD now.

Bad choice? Good choice?

I think you made the right decision. Good luck and let us know how you did. You could very well end up in a VA anyway.

I think you made the right decision. Good luck and let us know how you did. You could very well end up in a VA anyway.

Thanks for your reply. It's our first HAL cruise, and the "cabin roulette" game is a little different than with RCCL, who we've been with for decades. We are really excited about this one with HAL.

Thanks everyone who wrote in to say we made a good deal! After reading more about VQ, I was having second thoughts and wondering whether I should call back and change it! My DH is thrilled with it , saying he always wanted to be on that deck! He figures this would be a once in a lifetime opportunity! Do you all think that we had 3 emails because we booked with HAL PCC? I would love to hear from others who got emails for upsells or who have stayed before in this category ! Oh...it is the Eurodam on March 23! Thanks again!

Jane

Wow, I'm not familiar with your ship, but it sounds like you started with an obstructed or partial view. I probably would have taken the first upgrade! Lucky you :)

Yes, we paid for a fully obstructed view guarantee. However, when we got our assignment, it was a partially obstructed view, category G. We were very happy with that. Then yesterday we got this upsell email. Now we are even happier!:):)

We are also on your cruise on the 23th on the eurodam we also paid for a vh guarantee but at a discounted price. our stateroom assignment ended up on the vq staterrom 10018 very happy with that. Enjoy your room.

We are also on your cruise on the 23th on the eurodam we also paid for a vh guarantee but at a discounted price. our stateroom assignment ended up on the vq staterrom 10018 very happy with that. Enjoy your room.

Aren't you on the first leg of the Western Caribean? If so, you'll have to let us know how you enjoyed 10018 on the first leg of your journey. Hopefully, we all will just love it. Enjoy your room !!!!

Thanks everyone who wrote in to say we made a good deal! After reading more about VQ, I was having second thoughts and wondering whether I should call back and change it! My DH is thrilled with it , saying he always wanted to be on that deck! He figures this would be a once in a lifetime opportunity! Do you all think that we had 3 emails because we booked with HAL PCC? I would love to hear from others who got emails for upsells or who have stayed before in this category ! Oh...it is the Eurodam on March 23! Thanks again!

Jane

We have received an email offer on 3/05 to upgrade from VA-VH to SS-SZ for an additional $499pp. We then received another email yesterday to upgrade from VA-VH to SS-SZ for an additional $499pp or upgrade from VA-VH to SQ-SA for an additional $999pp. Then today another one exactly the same as the one from yesterday - no reduction in the price!! Is this normal? You would think that the offers would be lower than the first offer but they are the same. I have not called about any of the offers because we are not interested in paying that much more for a 7 night Caribbean cruise. Now maybe if it were half that much. ;)

We have received an email offer on 3/05 to upgrade from VA-VH to SS-SZ for an additional $499pp. We then received another email yesterday to upgrade from VA-VH to SS-SZ for an additional $499pp or upgrade from VA-VH to SQ-SA for an additional $999pp. Then today another one exactly the same as the one from yesterday - no reduction in the price!! Is this normal? You would think that the offers would be lower than the first offer but they are the same. I have not called about any of the offers because we are not interested in paying that much more for a 7 night Caribbean cruise. Now maybe if it were half that much. ;)

That is odd. I guess the want to make sure you got it:D.

Aren't you on the first leg of the Western Caribean? If so, you'll have to let us know how you enjoyed 10018 on the first leg of your journey. Hopefully, we all will just love it. Enjoy your room !!!!

Yes we are on back to back. Never been so high up. I will let you know but I am sure we will be fine with it. I love being so close to the gym don't really care about the spa. I do love all the water features. I am just glad I went from a vh to a vq!

Yes we are on back to back. Never been so high up. I will let you know but I am sure we will be fine with it. I love being so close to the gym don't really care about the spa. I do love all the water features. I am just glad I went from a vh to a vq!

Ditto for us...never been up this high! DH is really excited, but I'm a little nervous from reviews and if we have rough seas! Let's hope for sunny skies!