Tipping stewards

The Odd Couple

We take one of the many thank you cards and envelopes we have brought aboard, write a short note on the card and put in the envelope, enclose a different kind of note or two, and mark the outside "Laundry Personnel" or something similar and leave it with our stuffed blue laundry bag and filled-out form. We also usually leave a tip for the room steward who collects the laundry bags.

We started doing this years ago, after DW got some red mud on her trousers in a Costa Rica rain forest. She was not optimistic about ever getting the stains out, but sent them to the laundry anyway. They came back pristine! She was so happy, she wrote a thank-you note addressed to the Laundry Room guys, and enclosed a nice tip. Our room steward later said the laundry room personnel were floored, because nobody ever thinks of them. He said they were really appreciating the couple of cases of soft drinks they bought and shared.

Dave

Thanks for your reply.

Nice story.

As to tipping ahead I'm for it. It can be a small one, just to let the stewards know you are not miserly.

And how would they know there is more to come at the end of the cruise? I can imagine someone using that tactic to fool the crew and be stingy. ;)

Edited by Boytjie

And how would they know there is more to come at the end of the cruise? I can imagine someone using that tactic to fool the crew and be stingy. ;)

Not to blow a hole in your logic, but not tipping early doesn't mean that a tip is forthcoming later. And by tip, I mean "Ice BRIBE." Evidently it's super important to CAPITALIZE the term. It makes it seem more insulting.

Edited by POA1

I haven't done a HAL cruise yet, but I am a tipper, no cultural issues there. But I must say I would feel very uncomfortable tipping up front - and I think possibly the stewards would feel uncomfortable as well, as it indicates a person expects special service. That's just my opinion, so please don't take offence. I will continue to tip after service has been received.

I haven't done a HAL cruise yet' date=' but I am a tipper, no cultural issues there. But I must say I would feel very uncomfortable tipping up front - and I think possibly the stewards would feel uncomfortable as well, as it indicates a person expects special service. That's just my opinion, so please don't take offence. I will continue to tip after service has been received.[/quote']

I think that each person should decide how, when, and if to tip. Just do whatever you think is best. I'm sure it will be fine.

I agree - unless you're requesting some special service(s) to be done regularly, to me it smacks of asking for favoritism over other passengers ... i.e., a bribe.

This is the way I feel too. Not saying that's why most people do it, but there are some who do expect favoritism. I do think that each person should do as he/she feels best, but personally I would feel uncomfortable tipping at the beginning of the cruise if I hadn't asked for something extra special. We always tip extra, but we do it at the end of the cruise. Sorry, it just feels like a bribe for special treatment otherwise. Just not our style I guess.

I think that each person should decide how, when, and if to tip. Just do whatever you think is best. I'm sure it will be fine.

I tip daily when I am charged the HSC of $11.50 for my interior stateroom! ;) If cruisers don't believe that the HSC (tip) is sufficient enough, along with the salary that the HAL service staff are receiving, then perhaps they need to lobby HAL to have the HSC (tips) increased, along with their salaries! ;)

I tip daily when I am charged the HSC of $11.50 for my interior stateroom! ;) If cruisers don't believe that the HSC (tip) is sufficient enough, along with the salary that the HAL service staff are receiving, then perhaps they need to lobby HAL to have the HSC (tips) increased, along with their salaries! ;)

We know that you don't believe in tipping extra. That's fine. And some do and that's fine too. Doing what you feel is right is the best thing as POA said.

I understand where you are coming from. My husband is French and they don't tip either. It is because the waiters etc. are paid a decent wage and don't need the tip. Of course considering how nasty French waiters are maybe they should change that. My husband's family (from France) tip well because they know better now.

There is tipping in France! On the bills in a restaurant you will find a line item, usually at the bottom, pre printed on the bill is "service compris" which means service included. It is a 15% tip included in the final price of the meal. That is how the servers are paid a decent wage in France. It is typical to round up and leave a bit extra when you pay the bill.

On the ship, I am pretty typical for most cruisers, I leave the service charge on and tip extra cash to my stewards. For bar staff, I give a bit extra here and there throughout the week.