Pullman bed suitable for 3 year old??

Hi, we are cruising on Independence on 31st May with out just turned 3 year old. We have an interior stateroom (K). The room has a 3rd and 4th Pullman bed, we will only be using 1 of these but from the pictures I have seen it looks like a bunk bed, I'm a little concerned that my daughter may fall out of it as she sleeps with a bed guard at home. Does anyone know if these beds would be safe for a 3 year old? Or as an alternative could we remove the mattress from the Pullman and put it on the floor?

Many thanks

Leanne

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

In truth, it's a non-issue as a child must be at least 6 years old before the room steward will unlock an upper pullman bed.

Yes, the mattress on the floor is an option, as is ordering a pack n play be placed in your room. Our 2.5 year old used one last week, even though at home he sleeps in a regular bed. Depends on the size of your child (and temperament, as always ;)).

I'm traveling in 20 days with my two 6 year olds and I'm also concerned about them falling off. They sleep with bedrails on their beds at how and they still sleep all over the bed! Lol. They said I could request bedrails, but would you even be able to put them on upper births?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In this situation, my wife would put me in the pullman and let our daughter sleep with her in bed. :)

I do remember the pullman beds have a little half rail, but I wouldn't trust it for a 3 year-old. Is there a possibility of moving to a cabin with sofa bed?

Are the pack and plays just like a regular travel cot? I don't think Iv got much chance of getting her in one to be honest, she is a really tall 3 year old (in age 4-5 clothes!)

I'm surprised I wasn't informed of the bed situation when booking (via TA), what would you do if you had say 2 5 year old kids?

The mattress on the floor won't be a problem for us though if that's allowed, all part of the adventure ;)

A just turned 3 yr old would not be safe in an upper berth. Faced with this situation I would change cabins and move to a cabin that has a sofa bed which will be much safer. In fact I have done this a few times.

You do realize how small the cabins are, right? With a mattress on the floor there will be little room to move around.

I'm traveling in 20 days with my two 6 year olds and I'm also concerned about them falling off. They sleep with bedrails on their beds at how and they still sleep all over the bed! Lol. They said I could request bedrails, but would you even be able to put them on upper births?

If you can why not change to a cabin with a sofa bed. It will be perfect for 6 yr old twins.

Don't worry... in a category K on the Freedom class your kids won't fall all the way to the floor. They'll just fall on top of you and your husband. The pullman beds overhang the sides of the "Royal" king bed.

Edited by UCF_Knight

That would be a nice wake up call lol.

Can you take your own bed guards Lisa? My bed guard dismantles quite small, it's a bit of a pain to dismantle etc but may be an option?

I have rang my TA about moving rooms but there are no interior rooms left on my sailing so I would need to upgrade to an outside room which would cost an additional £2000! :(

My kids have slept in the Pullmans since they were 4 and have never had an issue. They have little rails that come up to keep them from falling out, my younger one moves a lot when he sleeps & we've never had a problem. He actually loves those Pullmans, even as a teen because they're like his private space. One thing we used to do was bring a battery powered nightlight for him to keep up there. Some ships used to have little lights built in, but the newer ships dont

DD did the Pullman since she was two-weeks past her third birthday and she has survived to 18YO :D! She sleeps like a rock (no tossing or turning). She would wake us up if she needed to use the bathroom -- the ladder can be a bit scary in the dark.

Here is a pic of the pullman's. This is in an interior stateroom. As you can see, there is a decent guard rail, and the pullman's are over the queen bed below, so even if they did fall off, they would land on the bed.

Six year old on the bed. We never had and issue with them even remotely coming close to falling out of the bed. In fact, we had a hard time getting them OUT of the beds, as they loved them. It was a highlight of the cruise.

i-kfqPtrn-M.jpg

Leanne, this is my problem. We have 6 year old twins who royal considers safe to be in the Pullman beds. But I don't feel that they are totally safe.

Each of my girls have slept in a pullman at age 6 and up. (on both RC and DCL) We had no isues. You know your children best though.

My daughter was three when we first started cruising and I never allowed her to use the Pullman bed. She was always restless and would get up during the night. Easiest option was my husband slept in the Pullman and she slept in the bed. Don't think he enjoyed climbing into the bed. We now always get a sofa bed.

Check if they have any rollaways. We did that with Princess and we put it away first thing in the morning to make more floor space.