pregnant, what info is needed?

kasi1979

Women cannot have begun their 24th week of pregnancy at any time before or during the cruise. If you are pregnant or sailing with a guest who is pregnant they must provide a physician’s letter stating the expected due date, medical fitness to travel and the pregnancy is not high risk. Please also include your name, booking number, ship and sailing date.

Please fax your letters to our Access & Compliance Department at 800-577-1731.

Or mail them to:

Holland America Line

Attention: Access & Compliance Department 2nd floor

300 Elliott Avenue West

Seattle, WA 98119

We urge you to have the letter faxed in as soon after making your reservation as possible.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Health+%26+Medical&contentSubMenu=Can+I+Still+Cruise+If+Pregnant?

Your doctor needs to confirm how far into your pregnancy you will be on disembarkation day and that you are fit to travel.

Congratulations.

sorry..... I had not refreshed my screen and did not see the other posts until after I posted.

Edited by sail7seas

I remember a post several years ago where a woman did not turn in any documentation (she didn't know she had to) and almost missed a family cruise. There was much scrambling at the terminal to call her doctor's office and get the required letter faxed to the terminal so she would be allowed on the ship. I might not have these details exact - but my comment is what I remember.

I was just hy of 24 weeks the last time we cruised. I had the doctor's letter, but was never asked for it. at 13 weeks you dont really shoe much, soni doubt you'll be asked. However, I'd still bring a doctor's note for insurance ;) CONGRATULATIONS! I hope you aren't too miserable right now. The first trimester is awful LOL

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

I sailed on the Golden Princess in 2003 while 13 weeks pregnant. I tried to cancel when I found out but even though it was a high risk pregnancy the cruise line said that being pregnant was not an excuse to cancel.

I had to bring injectable Heparin plus a bunch of other medications and a letter that nobody looked at. I had it more to bring needles and syringes across the border.

I agree, get the letter and have fun.

I'll be 24 weeks when we embark on the Ryndam in May ...I was told to bring a letter to confirm how far along I am and whether I may need any special care.

Congratulations by the way. Hope things are going well so far x

I would get it in writing from HAL that you will be allowed to board while 24 weeks pregnant. If 24 weeks is their posted cutoff point I wouldn't rely on being allowed to board because someone on the phone said you could if you had a doctor's letter.

These boards are full of stories about people being told one thing over the phone and then being denied boarding at the pier. Not just regarding pregnancy.

Play it safe and get it in writing.

I would get it in writing from HAL that you will be allowed to board while 24 weeks pregnant. If 24 weeks is their posted cutoff point I wouldn't rely on being allowed to board because someone on the phone said you could if you had a doctor's letter.

These boards are full of stories about people being told one thing over the phone and then being denied boarding at the pier. Not just regarding pregnancy.

Exactly right! I've read many reports of "the person on the phone said....." and, once at the ship, the poster finds out it's not true.

Just copying the quote from above (thanks whogo):

Women cannot have begun their 24th week of pregnancy at any time before or during the cruise. If you are pregnant or sailing with a guest who is pregnant they must provide a physician’s letter stating the expected due date, medical fitness to travel and the pregnancy is not high risk. Please also include your name, booking number, ship and sailing date.

Please fax your letters to our Access & Compliance Department at 800-577-1731.

Sounds like it's iffy whether Lovely other will able to board.

Good advice.

Holland America's online booking asks, "Will any member of your party be more than 24 weeks pregnant at the end of this cruise?" Clicking "Yes" brings up this" "We're sorry but we are unable to allow guests to cruise who will be more than 24 weeks pregnant at the end of their cruise."

In contrast, as I quoted above, the HAL website says elsewhere, "Women cannot have begun their 24th week of pregnancy at any time before or during the cruise." (Bolding in both quotes is mine.)

While pregnancy is not specifically addressed in the cruise contract, there is an "unfit for travel" clause.

The contact also states, "we request that if you have any special medical, physical or other requirements, these be brought to our attention immediately upon receipt of this contract."

We had been originally booked for an Alaskan cruise that would have happened when I was only 30 weeks pregnant. We had to cancel that booking and take a much earlier cruise because of how far along I would have been. I asked why this was, because I had healthy pregnancies, and they said that the on board medical center was not equip to take care of a premature child for ANY length of time. After 24 weeks the baby is viable and could live after delivery. This would not be possible on a cruise ship.

I can't imagine why HAL would have problems with women in the second trimester traveling on a ship, assuming there is no history of previous high risk issues. I agree with having a letter from doc stating it is OK to travel. What I would suggest is to have a summary of your past medical history on paper, including such things as blood type, previous medical and/or surgical issues and usual vital signs. If you had an emergency, these things would be an asset for the assisting medical providers. Having these things in writing would be invaluable if there were language barriers or if the patient was unable to communicate. As a retired ob/gyn, that is the conversation I would have with my patients before a cruise.

Bottom line, GO and have a great time.

I'll be 24 weeks when we embark on the Ryndam in May ...I was told to bring a letter to confirm how far along I am and whether I may need any special care.

Congratulations by the way. Hope things are going well so far x

You cannot be 24 weeks pregnant and cruise on HAL. Even with a doctor's release.

I can't imagine why HAL would have problems with women in the second trimester traveling on a ship, assuming there is no history of previous high risk issues. I agree with having a letter from doc stating it is OK to travel. What I would suggest is to have a summary of your past medical history on paper, including such things as blood type, previous medical and/or surgical issues and usual vital signs. If you had an emergency, these things would be an asset for the assisting medical providers. Having these things in writing would be invaluable if there were language barriers or if the patient was unable to communicate. As a retired ob/gyn, that is the conversation I would have with my patients before a cruise.

Bottom line, GO and have a great time.

See previous comment for your answer as to why you cannot cruise past 24 weeks. Healthy pregnancy or not, you can fall down the stairs during a swell and that could cause labor. There are too many things that could happen that far along while traveling (not just flying) that could cause preterm delivery.

We had been originally booked for an Alaskan cruise that would have happened when I was only 30 weeks pregnant. We had to cancel that booking and take a much earlier cruise because of how far along I would have been. I asked why this was, because I had healthy pregnancies, and they said that the on board medical center was not equip to take care of a premature child for ANY length of time. After 24 weeks the baby is viable and could live after delivery. This would not be possible on a cruise ship.

Lovely Other, you really need to call Holland America and push your cruise forward a few weeks. :(

Edited by AlohaPride