Noob menu question, MDR

Fog123

Hi.

We are looking to book our first ever cruise this weekend (most likely with Holland_) and I've spent many addicted hours on the boards. Thanks to all for such wonderful information.

I saw some pictures of the MDR menus somewhere here and some of the menu items have stars or dots next to them. What do they mean? Are they an extra expense? Chef's specialty?

Thanks again.

Hi.

We are looking to book our first ever cruise this weekend (most likely with Holland_) and I've spent many addicted hours on the boards. Thanks to all for such wonderful information.

I saw some pictures of the MDR menus somewhere here and some of the menu items have stars or dots next to them. What do they mean? Are they an extra expense? Chef's specialty?

Thanks again.

I think the dots might be bullet items and the stars might be recommendations or perhaps a vegetarian or heart healthy item? I'm sort of guessing as I don't recall completely but someone will be along with better information. In the MDR, you don't pay extra for anything on the menu. You will pay for filtered water you'll be asked by the waiter about should you choose it and cappuccino from the dessert menu.

Congrats on your first post!

Enjoy your soon to be planned cruise!

Edited by 0bnxshs

Hi.

Thanks again.

The two markers used on our recent (last week) cruise demoted either Culinary Council items or the ones that refer to the note about eating raw or undercooked meats and fish. It's the same warning you have probably seen on menus in land based restaurants before.

The two markers used on our recent (last week) cruise demoted either Culinary Council items or the ones that refer to the note about eating raw or undercooked meats and fish. It's the same warning you have probably seen on menus in land based restaurants before.

What POA1 said, from our 21 days on Noordam in February.

Perfect! Just wasn't sure if it was something we had to pay extra for.

Like I said, NOOB question.

Have spent a happy day looking at excursions and reviewing the boards. Super thrilled with the information on cruiseportinsider, awesome. Trying to decide what excursions are must dos vs what other things we can do. We spent two phenomenal weeks in Iceland last year and are interested to see how Alaska compares.

Tomorrow we find out what our friends think and what we'll really be up to. So excited.

Thanks for your help.

We're heading to Iceland in May after disembarking in Southampton from our Mediterranean cruise. Would love some tour tips for there! We have 5 days....what would you suggest?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forums mobile app

Iceland, oh wow, are you ever going to love it!

Don't be afraid to drive your own car. We worked with Iceland Unlimited (am I allowed to say that here?) and can highly recommend their services, ask for Jon or Christina and say hi from Sandy and her mother. They organized everything for us but we self drove.

The highlight for 3 of the 4 of us was the glacier volcano tour which we did through Arcanum, not cheap, but incredible. Vik is close by there and worth a visit. It really was spectacular and the only reason it wasn't for me is that Mom's blood sugar started to go a bit wonky and I was worried about her.

The glacier lagoon, Jokulsarlon was also a hit with all of us.

If you've been whale watching in other places I wouldn't spend the money doing that but if you haven't it's worthwhile.

The Golden Circle Tour is worth it. We really enjoyed the geysirs and Thingvellir.

DH (normally a very quiet person) hasn't stopped talking since I mentioned that you were looking for ideas for Iceland. It's so hard to name just a couple of sites.

We prepared a slide presentation that's publicly available, you can see it at http://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/18587389/slide-show-of-a-full-circle-tour-around-iceland-in-summer-2013

You are going to love Iceland!

P.S. Oldboot, DH is still talking, he's got your whole itinerary already planned for you :) Feel free to PM us if you want more details.

I would love to PM you! However, this board doesn't have that capability?! Would you care to email me? My email is mytourpal at yahoo dot com.

Can't wait to hear from you!

Lila

We spent two phenomenal weeks in Iceland last year and are interested to see how Alaska compares.

Don't try to compare the two; they are totally different experiences. Each is wonderful in its own unique way, but other than you will see snow, ice, and waterfalls, they are not alike.

I say this based on 6 cruises to Alaska, including one with a 9-day land tour, and another with a couple of weeks touring on my own, and probably four cruises with various stops in Iceland.

Just realized that I said "demoted" when I meant to type denoted. I'm not sure if it's the spell-correct or if it's my sausage fingers to blame.

Hi.

Thanks again.

Here are the menus for the current Caribbean 7-day cruise season for lunch and dinner in both the Lido Restaurant and Main Dining Room. Note the * are footnoted for cooking information from the Food and Drug Administration.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=309

Crew News, thanks for the information on the menus. Looks like my Fitbit and I are going to have to become better friends to avoid gaining way too much weight.

RuthC, thanks for the assurance on Iceland vs Alaska. Our friends have agreed and we're booking the trip tomorrow!

Super excited, super happy!