New Point System Working toward Elite

momofmeg

Actually that is not correct, the majority of cabins are either insides, outsides or veranda's. Since the most point points you can get for a 7 day cruise under those three categories is 21 points, most of the people traveling are receiving 9 less points than they would before. It is an advantage to those with higher categories and longer cruises but most of the travelers are in inside, outside or veranda on 7 day cruises thus they lose.

Below is a comparison chart that someone worked up. Sorry, don't know who. You can clearly see how unfair the old system was. Using the Celebrity conversion of 1 old point equaling 30 new points, a person on a 3 night cruise in an inside earned the same points as someone on an 11 night cruise in a veranda. A person on a 3 night in a concierge earned the same as someone in penthouse suite on an 11 night. How in the world can anyone defend that system?!?!

The new system earns points more slowly for most people, that is true. But at least it is now based on the total number of days on the cruise and the amount spend on accommodations. Only someone "playing" the system by booking short cruises in an inside to gain Elite status in the shortest amount of time possible would be upset with the new, fairer system.

Points%20comparisons.jpg

Edited by fortinweb

Below is a comparison chart that someone worked up. Sorry, don't know who. You can clearly see how unfair the old system was. Using the Celebrity conversion of 1 old point equaling 30 new points, a person on a 3 night cruise in an inside earned the same points as someone on an 11 night cruise in a veranda. A person on a 3 night in a concierge earned the same as someone in penthouse suite on an 11 night. How in the world can anyone defend that system?!?!

The new system earns points more slowly for most people, that is true. But at least it is now based on the total number of days on the cruise and the amount spend on accommodations. Only someone "playing" the system by booking short cruises in an inside to gain Elite status in the shortest amount of time possible would be upset with the new, fairer system.

Points%20comparisons.jpg

Agree that the old system was unfair in some respect but that was for a minority of cruisers while the new system is unfair to a majority of cruisers.

Edited by dkjretired

Agree that the old system was unfair in some respect but that was for a minority of cruisers while the new system is unfair to a majority of cruisers.

:eek::eek:

There was nothing fair about the old system:

cruise for three days get a point, cruise for 11 days get a point,

cruise inside, get a point, cruise in CC or the penthouse, get 2 points…

Unfair in some respect?

At least the new system awards points based on the length of a cruise and generally, the more one spends, the faster one achieves the next level.

The complaints about the ease by which some people achieved the former top level have been addressed. The previous model was unsustainable and Celebrity has responded with a system that many believe is fairer than before. There has never been any rewards system that pleases everyone. This one is no different.

How is it unfair? Please explain. As I look over this chart, every passenger earns a specific amount of points based on length of cruise and cost of accommodations. I don't see any unfairness in it at all. Everyone seems to be earning points on an equal basis based on how much they spend on a room.

Again, please explain why you think the new system is unfair to the majority of people? Be specific.

I don't think you will be, so let me be specific about why I think it is fair based on the cost per point on a typical cruise:

Looking at a Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Reflection in January 2015 (still far enough out that the prices haven't changed up or down):

The lowest price inside stateroom costs $719 pp, and earns 2 points per day, for a total of 14 for that 7 night cruise. That works out to about $51 per point.

The lowest price veranda is $999 pp, and earns 3 points per day, for a total of 21 points. That works out to $46 per point.

The lowest price Aqua Class is $1,349 pp, and earns 5 points per day, for a total of 35. That works out to $39 per point.

The lowest price Sky Suite is $2,649 pp, and earns 8 points per day, for a total of 56. That works out to $47 per point.

A Royal Suite is $4,999 pp, and earns 12 points per day, for a total of 84. That works out to $60 per point.

The Penthouse Suite is $7,599 pp, and earns 18 points per day, for a total of 126 points. That works out to $61 per point.

The Reflection Suite is $14,999 pp, and also earns 18 points per day, for a total of 126 points. That works out to be $119 per point.

If anything, the people who this is unfair to are the Suite passengers, especially the Reflection Suite at $119 per point. They end up paying a higher dollar amount per point. The rest of the categories are only a few dollars per point apart from each other.

Seems pretty fairly balanced to me.

Edited by boogs

If anything, the people who this is unfair to are the Suite passengers, especially the Reflection Suite at $119 per point. They end up paying a higher dollar amount per point. The rest of the categories are only a few dollars per point apart from each other.

And the suite guests get to experience top tier perks while paying the additional $$$ for their special digs… Seems fairer than the previous system.

The idea that the new system is "unfair to the majority of cruisers" is a real hoot! :) Thanks for the laugh! :D

Captain's Club is a FREE and VOLUNTARY program. You don't have to join or take advantage of it if you don't want to. You aren't required to join to cruise on Celebrity's ships. You don't have to pay a registration fee to join. You don't have to pay a monthly fee to stay in the program. And there is no penalty for "early withdrawal". It is absolutely ZERO cost to anyone who wants to participate.

How can something that is completely FREE be unfair? I can't for the life of me figure that mystery out. :confused: ? :confused: ? :confused: ? :confused:

Edited by fortinweb

The idea that the new system is "unfair to the majority of cruisers" is a real hoot! :) Thanks for the laugh! :D

Captain's Club is a FREE and VOLUNTARY program. You don't have to join or take advantage of it if you don't want to. You aren't required to join to cruise on Celebrity's ships. You don't have to pay a registration fee to join. You don't have to pay a monthly fee to stay in the program. And there is no penalty for "early withdrawal". It is absolutely ZERO cost to anyone who wants to participate.

How can something that is completely FREE be unfair? I can't for the life of me figure that mystery out. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Wow! I have never thought of it this way, basic to the point.

The idea is "unfair to the majority of cruisers" is a real hoot! Thanks for the laugh!

It's a FREE and VOLUNTARY program. You don't have to join or take advantage of it if you don't want to. You aren't required to join to cruise on Celebrity's ships. You don't have to pay a registration fee to join. You don't have to pay a monthly fee to stay in the program. And there is no penalty for "early withdrawal". It is absolutely ZERO cost to anyone who wants to participate. How can something that is completely FREE be unfair?

I can't figure that mystery out. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Or is it someone's entitlement mentality driving such sentiment?

Everything you said is true about it being a voluntary program is correct, I guess you missed my point. All I said was that the large majority of cruisers are staying in inside, outside and veranda cabins. This is mathematically a fact since there are probably twice as many of those cabins on all Celebrity ships. Most of these will be on 7 day cruises and therefore will receive 21 points compared to the 30 points they received in the past. I was doing a comparison for the MAJORITY of cruisers, that is all, not making any comments as to anything else on the program.

By the way, I happen to like the program and I am probably the last person in the world to have an entitlement mentality, really resent that for putting out a simple fact.

Edited by dkjretired

How is it unfair? Please explain. As I look over this chart, every passenger earns a specific amount of points based on length of cruise and cost of accommodations. I don't see any unfairness in it at all. Everyone seems to be earning points on an equal basis based on how much they spend on a room.

Again, please explain why you think the new system is unfair to the majority of people? Be specific.

I don't think you will be, so let me be specific about why I think it is fair based on the cost per point on a typical cruise:

Looking at a Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Reflection in January 2015 (still far enough out that the prices haven't changed up or down):

The lowest price inside stateroom costs $719 pp, and earns 2 points per day, for a total of 14 for that 7 night cruise. That works out to about $51 per point.

The lowest price veranda is $999 pp, and earns 3 points per day, for a total of 21 points. That works out to $46 per point.

The lowest price Aqua Class is $1,349 pp, and earns 5 points per day, for a total of 35. That works out to $39 per point.

The lowest price Sky Suite is $2,649 pp, and earns 8 points per day, for a total of 56. That works out to $47 per point.

A Royal Suite is $4,999 pp, and earns 12 points per day, for a total of 84. That works out to $60 per point.

The Penthouse Suite is $7,599 pp, and earns 18 points per day, for a total of 126 points. That works out to $61 per point.

The Reflection Suite is $14,999 pp, and also earns 18 points per day, for a total of 126 points. That works out to be $119 per point.

Read post 33, only commenting on points not prices.... I was specific in a previous post.

Edited by dkjretired

:eek::eek:

There was nothing fair about the old system:

cruise for three days get a point, cruise for 11 days get a point,

cruise inside, get a point, cruise in CC or the penthouse, get 2 points…

Unfair in some respect?

At least the new system awards points based on the length of a cruise and generally, the more one spends, the faster one achieves the next level.

The complaints about the ease by which some people achieved the former top level have been addressed. The previous model was unsustainable and Celebrity has responded with a system that many believe is fairer than before. There has never been any rewards system that pleases everyone. This one is no different.

My comment was only that in comparison to the old system, the majority of those cruising lose out based upon points only. That's all, nothing else.

Edited by dkjretired

How can something that is completely FREE be unfair? I can't for the life of me figure that mystery out. :confused: ? :confused: ? :confused: ? :confused:

By the way I thought I would give you a little FYI that you are probably not aware of. I paid to join the Captains Club back in the early 90s just like many others who have been on this board over the years. So for many it was not absolutely free....

Everything you said is true about it being a voluntary program is correct, I guess you missed my point. All I said was that the large majority of cruisers are staying in inside, outside and veranda cabins. This is mathematically a fact since there are probably twice as many of those cabins on all Celebrity ships. Most of these will be on 7 day cruises and therefore will receive 21 points compared to the 30 points they received in the past. I was doing a comparison for the MAJORITY of cruisers, that is all, not making any comments as to anything else on the program.

Yeah, I guess you are right. It's Celebrity's fault that I can't afford to book long cruises in the Penthouse Suite and earn points faster. It has nothing to do with my personal financial situation. I should be given those points even if I can only afford the cheapest rooms. $#?*@& to those Celebrity bean counters! :mad:

By the way, I happen to like the program ....

Then why are you complaining about it being unfair? :confused:

My comment was only that in comparison to the old system, the majority of those cruising lose out based upon points only. That's all, nothing else.

Don you are missing the point that they where being over compensated with the old system not under compensated with the new system. It is now fair and simply closes a loop hole that many have used to their advantage in the past to gain elite status with as little and five cruises in a concierge cabin for 3-4 day cruises. They should not have been elite for that level of cruising. :eek:

Don you are missing the point that they where being over compensated with the old system not under compensated with the new system. It is now fair and simply closes a loop hole that many have used to their advantage in the past to gain elite status with as little and five cruises in a concierge cabin for 3-4 day cruises. They should not have been elite for that level of cruising. :eek:

Not missing the point I agree with that completely.

Yeah, I guess you are right. It's Celebrity's fault that I can't afford to book long cruises in the Penthouse Suite and earn points faster. It has nothing to do with my personal financial situation. I should be given those points even if I can only afford the cheapest rooms. $#?*@& to those Celebrity bean counters! :mad:

Then why are you complaining about it being unfair? :confused:

Never said anything about what room you can afford to cruise nor did I infer it.

Not complaining, just made a statement of fact....21 points vs 30 points, that's all I said

Edited by dkjretired

We are booked on a 5 day cruise Thanksgiving week in concierge. We will miss Elite by 10 points. a 7 day in concierge would give it to us-however we will pay almost double to do it in concierge.

Since this is a newer ship and the rooms are larger (our main reason as our daughter will be with us) I guess I should forget about points and decide which ship I want. If we switch we will be in a balcony.

We are booked on a 5 day cruise Thanksgiving week in concierge. We will miss Elite by 10 points. a 7 day in concierge would give it to us-however we will pay almost double to do it in concierge.

Since this is a newer ship and the rooms are larger (our main reason as our daughter will be with us) I guess I should forget about points and decide which ship I want. If we switch we will be in a balcony.

You didn't mention which ship, but did say "newer", so I have to assume it is one of the S-class ships. The concierge class cabins on S-class are the same size as a standard veranda - 194 sq ft. On M-class, however, concierge class is 21 sq ft larger than standard verandas - 191 sq ft vs 170 sq ft.

If you already know this, please accept my apologies for stating something you already know.

Edited by boogs

I doubt that the perks you would receive one cruise earlier would be worth the extra cost.

I would enjoy two cruises w/o perks more than one cruise in a concierge class.

I doubt that the perks you would receive one cruise earlier would be worth the extra cost.

I would enjoy two cruises w/o perks more than one cruise in a concierge class.

Yes, I think you are right.

It is worth it for the extra room to have booked concierge on the Connie since our daughter is with us. It only was only another $50 each for my husband and I -so $100 more. This is a 5 day cruise. I could care less about fruit, flowers and afternoon snacks, but the extra room is important when there is 3 people.

The other ship we are considering switching is the Silhouette. The price came down $200 a person for my husband and I from what it had been (when we first considered it)and the price for my daughter is the same. Concierge is still $200 a person more for my husband and I than if we booked a balcony, but yet the stateroom is no bigger. So that extra $400 would be for fruit, flowers, and afternoon snacks. I think having a balcony over an oceanview or inside is worth it, but not the other.

(Although the price for our daughter is the same as the Connie no matter which room we would book. Lol!)

Although the silhouette is a completely different itinerary,

this cruise is more about doing a trip with our daughter than for the ports. I just liked the Silhouette's ports. It has been 14 years since we have been to PR and we have never been to Basseterre, one of the few Caribbean ports we have not been. Lol!

I know she would love those ports too, but she would go back to work exhausted since, she has to be back at work the Monday after Thanksgiving. The Connie gives her a day to recuperate. It would not be as big a deal for my husband. He can take another vacation day to rest up after getting home. He still has a couple of vacations day unaccounted for yet for 2014.

What you said make sense too. He and I can do that trip on our own later. We do not have to do it that week.

Did you ever question Celebrity about those points you received at the changeover that we discussed on the other board. There's your ten points and I still can't figure it out.

It is worth it for the extra room to have booked concierge on the Connie since our daughter is with us. It only was only another $50 each for my husband and I -so $100 more. This is a 5 day cruise. I could care less about fruit, flowers and afternoon snacks, but the extra room is important when there is 3 people.

The other ship we are considering switching is the Silhouette. The price came down $200 a person for my husband and I from what it had been (when we first considered it)and the price for my daughter is the same. Concierge is still $200 a person more for my husband and I than if we booked a balcony, but yet the stateroom is no bigger. So that extra $400 would be for fruit, flowers, and afternoon snacks. I think having a balcony over an oceanview or inside is worth it, but not the other.

Connie is one of the older X ships that came into service in May 2002. Silhouette went into service in July 2011.

Edited by robtulipe

Must confess don't understand this points system nor do I know how many points I have probably not a lot as they wouldn't honour my rci trips however could someone confirm how many points for elite status?

Did you ever question Celebrity about those points you received at the changeover that we discussed on the other board. There's your ten points and I still can't figure it out.

Yes, what I told you came from the 'horse's mouth," Celebrity. I almost canceled this 5 day cruise then I was so upset. Then I thought, that would be stupid as I got a superb price for this stateroom. We could have switched to RCI Brilliance of the seas and take a similar cruise that same week but our room would be smaller.

I guess I am only thinking along these lines because of what the gal at Celerity told me, that if I took a 7 day cruise in concierge that I would make Elite with this next cruise. However, as I was told by the one poster, it really does not matter if it is one cruise or 2 before I am elite not when it means that about of $$$ to be elite in one cruise. Those extra $$$ can go toward another cruise and I can just make "Elite" then-lol!

As you know I am not a cruiseline loyalist. I switch around, and if we had not accumulated extra points when we took the 12 day Med cruise in a skysuite a couple of years ago and got close to Elite, I would not even be worrying about how many loyalty points I had. I would just be looking forward to the cruise, period.

Connie is one of the older X ships that came into service in May 2002. Silhouette went into service in July 2011.

I know that. As far as ships though, I think I will like the Connie better. I have been on the Solstice. That was a lot of walking without those back elevators. Our room was on the back on the ship and to go to dinner we had to go to the elevators or staircase in the middle and then walk to the back of the ship again. Normally I take the stairs most of the time. That cruise we did so much walking I was ready for the elevators.

must confess don't understand this points system nor do i know how many points i have probably not a lot as they wouldn't honour my rci trips however could someone confirm how many points for elite status?