New Point System Working toward Elite

momofmeg

That's what I came up with too...can't figure where the 90 came from:confused:

If that cruise was BEFORE the new system took effect that would make sense. If you had 3 points before the conversion then they would have multiplied each point by 30 which would give you 90 points in the new system.

Here's the link for you from the Celebrity website: http://www.celebritycruises.com/genericHtmlTemplate.do?pagename=cc_the_club

The points are calculated by the number of nights, so an 11 night (12 day) cruise in concierge would be 55 points. :)

I'm not sure it's counted that way, many people say night or day interchangeably. If I say 12 day then I mean that I spend 12 nights on board. I never count the last day.

I'm not sure it's counted that way, many people say night or day interchangeably. If I say 12 day then I mean that I spend 12 nights on board. I never count the last day.

I don't either. Typically, you get on no earlier than 11:00 am the first day and get off no later than 10:00 the last day. That only makes 23 hours - less than a full day - even though it's over two calendar dates.

If that cruise was BEFORE the new system took effect that would make sense. If you had 3 points before the conversion then they would have multiplied each point by 30 which would give you 90 points in the new system.

Did not realize OP meant before the new system change, thought they meant now:o

That's what I came up with too...can't figure where the 90 came from:confused:

So you now get less points than you did before under the old system, I would have wondered about that if I hadn't see this thread

The new system is much fairer for everyone. True, if you only take short 3 or 4 day cruises, you come out behind. But for those who take longer 12 or more day cruises, they got the short end of the stick with the old program. Some people have calculated that you would need to take twice as many long cruises to gain Elite status as people taking those short cruises. That was certainly not fair. The new system issues points based on days aboard, and the cost of the stateroom category.

A much more level playing field for everyone.

Edited by boogs

The new system is much fairer for everyone. True, if you only take short 3 or 4 day cruises, you come out behind. But for those who take longer 12 or more day cruises, they got the short end of the stick with the old program. Some people have calculated that you would need to take twice as many long cruises to gain Elite status as people taking those short cruises. That was certainly not fair. The new system issues points based on days aboard, and the cost of the stateroom category.

I never took much notice of how it worked, but I agree the new system seems easier to work out and fairer

So you now get less points than you did before under the old system, I would have wondered about that if I hadn't see this thread

This statement is true for lower category canons on short cruises. However taking your 12 night into consideration....

Old system, in a veranda you'd get 1 point converted to 30 no matter the sailing.

New system, you get 3pts * 12 days = 36 for the veranda on this sailing.

Old in Concierge you'd get 2 points converted to 60.

Now you get 5pts * 12 days = 60 for a 12 day sailing.

Old in Penthouse, you'd get 2 points converted to 60.

Now you get 18pts * 12 days = 216 Points

So the all the new system is trying to do is equal out points value to spend amount, longer cruises higher categories get more points.

This prevents those who do short 4 day itineraries in inside cabins from having the same elite status as those who typically do long cruises in high category cabins.

This statement is true for lower category canons on short cruises. However taking your 12 night into consideration....

Old system, in a veranda you'd get 1 point converted to 30 no matter the sailing.

New system, you get 3pts * 12 days = 36 for the veranda on this sailing.

Old in Concierge you'd get 2 points converted to 60.

Now you get 5pts * 12 days = 60 for a 12 day sailing.

Old in Penthouse, you'd get 2 points converted to 60.

Now you get 18pts * 12 days = 216 Points

So the all the new system is trying to do is equal out points value to spend amount, longer cruises higher categories get more points.

This prevents those who do short 4 day itineraries in inside cabins from having the same elite status as those who typically do long cruises in high category cabins.

Ok I have one query how come I got 3 points for my last 12 night cruise , should I have got 2 .

Ok I have one query how come I got 3 points for my last 12 night cruise , should I have got 2 .

Forgot. I think old system was 1 for boarding, 1 additional for Concierge and above, and 1 more if 12 (not sure of the length) or more nights.

Three points is correct. You got two points for being in concierge and then an additional point because the sailing was 12 nights or longer.

The new system is definitely fairer for people in suites who pay more. Anything less, the points do not accumulate as fast usually.

Definitely the case.

As with airlines moving to points based on spend (Delta for sure starting next year, and AA and United have said they are changing too soon) cruise lines are finding themselves running at or near capacity, and need to rely less on the frequent traveller to fill space and are now looking to reward people spending more, to grow revenue that way since there is only so much revenue from space they can get, they now want to entice folks to buy up suites and longer cruses to earn and reward loyalty.

Also many on these boards have complained for some time that the number of elites was just getting too high, this new method slows down the rate of growth into the status levels, providing better benefits to those who already have earned them.

Actually that is not correct, the majority of cabins are either insides, outsides or veranda's. Since the most point points you can get for a 7 day cruise under those three categories is 21 points, most of the people traveling are receiving 9 less points than they would before. It is an advantage to those with higher categories and longer cruises but most of the travelers are in inside, outside or veranda on 7 day cruises thus they lose.

We did a Dec 2013 cruise. I checked our points after that cruise and the points were there. Just finished another cruise. Checked today to see if the points were added for the recent cruise. Our most recent cruise is on there, but our Dec. 2013 cruise has disappeared! Sent an e-mail, waiting for response.