New Point System Working toward Elite

momofmeg

I really wish the old timers would stop playing that card! It has been detailed many, many times on these boards that after Royal purchased Celebrity and made CC a free program all members who had paid for the privilege were given a credit exceeding what they original paid.

It is very common for those " paid" members to simply ignore this fact when they claim they paid to be in captains club.

I can tell you for a fact everyone was not given a credit exceeding what they paid because I was not. I was given the opportunity to book a cruise and receive a credit, but it was time limited. I did not book another cruise at that time, therefore I did not receive a credit. Of course I do not really care. The bottom line is that the program used to be optional, included a fee, and did not have much in the way of benefits. The current excellent program is in another league and there is no comparison.

By the way until very recently most offers from Celebrity could not be combined and did not have a lot of value. The recent changes allowing you to combine two offers is a very significant improvement IMO.

Edited by jagoffee

I really wish the old timers would stop playing that card! It has been detailed many, many times on these boards that after Royal purchased Celebrity and made CC a free program all members who had paid for the privilege were given a credit exceeding what they original paid.

It is very common for those " paid" members to simply ignore this fact when they claim they paid to be in captains club.

My comment was made in direct response to someone who said that we did not pay to join CC, I claimed no special priviledge, just resonded to an incorrect post. I played no cards.

Edited by dkjretired

I can tell you for a fact everyone was not given a credit exceeding what they paid because I was not. I was given the opportunity to book a cruise and receive a credit, but it was time limited. I did not book another cruise at that time, therefore I did not receive a credit. Of course I do not really care. The bottom line is that the program used to be optional, included a fee, and did not have much in the way of benefits. The current excellent program is in another league and there is no comparison.

By the way until very recently most offers from Celebrity could not be combined and did not have a lot of value. The recent changes allowing you to combine two offers is a very significant improvement IMO.

To me the point was that Celebrity did give everyone the opportunity to get the money back that they paid to join Captain's Club, it was each individual's choice whether to take Celebrity up on their offer and get their money back. Some one here continue to say that they had to pay to join, but forget to let others know that they were given the opportunity to get their money back.

To me the point was that Celebrity did give everyone the opportunity to get the money back that they paid to join Captain's Club, it was each individual's choice whether to take Celebrity up on their offer and get their money back. Some one here continue to say that they had to pay to join, but forget to let others know that they were given the opportunity to get their money back.

Again I was only responding to someone's incorrect post, nothing else. I claimed no priviledges. . I did state in a later post that I received vouchers

Reached Elite last year after several cruises with balconies of 10-15 day duration. I am thrilled with the perks we receive & will never achieve a higher status & that is fine. We will never book a suite because of the cost but certainly don't begrudge those that do. We utilize the laundry perks & for the first time this February on a 14 day we used some of the internet package. We received drink vouchers in place of the cocktail event & we readily enjoyed them at different venues. We do not frequent Captain Club events because of the tiresome complaining from many [ not all ] about what they have or don' t have.

We have only sailed on Celebrity & HAL so maybe this grumbling about benefits occurs on all cruise lines .

Congrats to those 50 Zenith members! It is awesome to have reached such a level !

You are so right. We should book a cruise if we like the ports/ship/price-not to get points toward Elite. I would especially love the laundry privileges but for the difference in cost between a balcony and concierge, I can pay for laundry lol! when I earn it fine but like you, I doubt I will get a higher status as I am not a cruiseline loyalist, even if I like Celebrity better than other lines. (I do like Princess almost as well.)

One thing though, I am much closer on Celebrity to Elite than I am to Diamond on RCI. It would be nice to achieve Elite so I have the perks for both lines. However, if it means $$$ nope not going to do that. It makes better sense for me to take 2 more Celebrity cruises than just 1. More fun too,huh?

BTW, our one time in the skysuite, that was our 30th anniversary cruise. We had booked a spa room but a sale came up and for $300 more we could upgrade to a skysuite. We did it more for being on the back of the ship to watch the wake as the ship moved, from our balcony than any other reason. We also got 2 specialty dinners and a real bathtub which we also liked besides a larger room. The butler and afternoon tea was okay, but not something we were really "into".

I do feel, once we get Elite status, that will be more of an incentive for us to book Celebrity or RCI. It would take a unique itinerary or outstanding value then for us to book other lines.

• 4 weeks later...

Well we bit the bullet and switched to the Silhouette. We are in a basic balcony not concierge, but the rooms are the same size on the Silhouette whereas on the Connie concierge is more square footage. So we will actually earn less points! But heck, the price for Thanksgiving week is outstanding. Right now if we took this same cruise 2 weeks later in December, 2 weeks before Christmas when prices are usually the cheapest, we would pay more for the same class room. So even if we make less points toward "Elite," the offer was too good to refuse.

So we are happy, and Heck I am sure we will do the Connie again for another short cruise. We will make "elite" then,lol!