Great news for Canadian NCL guests!

Tangocherie

Yeppers!! Took some time and the original woman did not understand what "at par" meant but she spoke with a supervisor and the change was made. They had to cancel our booking, but rebooked us in the same cabin and now in CAD funds.

Did you get your initial deposit refunded immediatly on your credit card ? Or did they tell you when it will be refunded ?

I'm still waiting my refund after 2 days...:(

Did you get your initial deposit refunded immediatly on your credit card ? Or did they tell you when it will be refunded ?

I'm still waiting my refund after 2 days...:(

The refund was done while on the phone, but she said it could take 7-10 days to show up on the Visa. I don't know if it has actually processed yet.

Thank you.:o

I'm a little nervous about that because i also prepaid the UDP package and they must refund me a total 918 us$ with the deposit.

it will be my first cruise so i'm not very familiar with this stuff.

And i'm french speaking so it is not easy for me to understand them and for them to understand me when i call. They don't have french speaking staff but the worse is they don't really have a customer service by email. It much easier for me to write and read english than to speak. Anybody has any customer service email for NCL ??? I never found one.

Thank you for your help.

Well, I just called them because this thread had me thinking I could save a few $$.

Currently we have the Sky booked for $943USD but today's price is $1043USD. I asked them to give me a price in Canadian and it was $1043CAN. So they're offering it at par. For us, we're not going to switch because we'd only save around $35 once you consider the new price and if the Canadian dollar was to go higher through the year then we'd lose out there.

Interestingly, I checked our RCI cruise price today and was able to switch from CAN to USD on their website. They offer the same price USD to CAN as well.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Sorry I haven't been able to dig through the entire thread so I apologize if this question has already been driven into dust, but my question is wether the "at par" will only be applicable to bookings made via Canadian based TA or NCL directly? So if I booked using a US based agent I am pretty much out of luck?

Thanks

Sorry I haven't been able to dig through the entire thread so I apologize if this question has already been driven into dust, but my question is wether the "at par" will only be applicable to bookings made via Canadian based TA or NCL directly? So if I booked using a US based agent I am pretty much out of luck?

Thanks

I don't see why you couldn't either use a TA in Canada or call in to NCL and ask for the price i Canadian dollars. Of course there will be a charge from the credit card company because you're using a US cc and charging Canadian dollars but the difference in current conversion rates would more than make up for that.

Well, I just called them because this thread had me thinking I could save a few $$.

Currently we have the Sky booked for $943USD but today's price is $1043USD. I asked them to give me a price in Canadian and it was $1043CAN. So they're offering it at par. For us, we're not going to switch because we'd only save around $35 once you consider the new price and if the Canadian dollar was to go higher through the year then we'd lose out there.

Interestingly, I checked our RCI cruise price today and was able to switch from CAN to USD on their website. They offer the same price USD to CAN as well.

Did you book through NCL? We did and when I called our cruise had gone up $600.00 but she honoured our original price in Canadian. Don't forget anything on your my NCL that you purchase, gratuities, ultimate dining package, tours, and you can even purchase onboard credit certificates which are all at par. On our cruise alone we are saving $600.00 then add on all the extras and I figure we will save around $800.00 to $1000.00, we are looking at purchasing the UDP.

Thank you SO much for making this thread!

I originally booked online through NCL so I called my PCC today and I was able to cancel and rebook my cruise in Canadian dollars. I was able to keep the same room and OBC that I originally had, and it costs less in CAD now than it did in the USD I had got it back then (and that's before the exchange rate was applied!!). I'm so stoked! I just have to rebook all the excursions I had, but it should be okay since it's so far out (hopefully).

Thanks again.

So I just got off the phone with my PCC at NCL, I now have my cruise for next January changed to Canadian funds, same price for the cruise, just no longer in USD. Also everything else on my account, will be in Canadian dollars. This makes a huge difference in the cost of our 2 rooms, and from what I'm hearing our dollar is going to be worth even less. My reservation did need to be cancelled and the cruise fare had went up $100 on the one room but she put a price protection on my booking so it would stay the same. I will need to wait for my deposit to be refunded on my credit card, but the money I just saved will be worth it. She did say that if you did not booked directly with them and used a TA it will not likely work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So I just got off the phone with my PCC at NCL, I now have my cruise for next January changed to Canadian funds, same price for the cruise, just no longer in USD. Also everything else on my account, will be in Canadian dollars. This makes a huge difference in the cost of our 2 rooms, and from what I'm hearing our dollar is going to be worth even less. My reservation did need to be cancelled and the cruise fare had went up $100 on the one room but she put a price protection on my booking so it would stay the same. I will need to wait for my deposit to be refunded on my credit card, but the money I just saved will be worth it. She did say that if you did not booked directly with them and used a TA it will not likely work.

Did they cancel and rebook or just swing it to Canadian?

This is the most gloriously insane thing that I've seen a big company do. I was considering a last minute Alaskan cruise for this May and the NCL rep confirmed on the phone they could do CAD at par. Unfortunately my TA friend couldn't honour the price (surprising because she's in Canada) but since we were paying so little it overall didn't hurt her feelings too much.

I don't think I would have booked if it wasn't for that.

Glad to know we can book everything else online in CAD, makes a huge difference with the current dollar drop.

You have to be booked in the Canadian system. I deal directly with NCL on the phone, can't do an on-line booking. Then I transfer it to a Canadian TA, if I want.

Pretty sure a booking started through a Canadian ta would automatically be in the Canadian system but not positive.

Yes this is accurate. I use a CDN TA and my cruises and other Vacations are in Cdn dollars.

IT is also accurate that is you pre-pay service charges, any dining (UDP) and excursions you plan to take with NCL they are all in CDN funds. An extra bonus is it cuts down on the on board account...which IS in USA dollars (at least up until January it was which was our last cruise. We leave in 3 weeks again so I will find out then if On board account is charged US or CAN)

This is the most gloriously insane thing that I've seen a big company do. I was considering a last minute Alaskan cruise for this May and the NCL rep confirmed on the phone they could do CAD at par. Unfortunately my TA friend couldn't honour the price (surprising because she's in Canada) but since we were paying so little it overall didn't hurt her feelings too much.

Glad to know we can book everything else online in CAD, makes a huge difference with the current dollar drop.

I saw you just appeared on the Pearl roll call today too kesstral - we had the exact same experience except our TA did charge us in CAN$. Currently adding excursions & OBC in CAN$ too, although freakishly the UDP is priced differently (I saw CAN$204.65pp vs US$199, still a hugely improved exchange rate...)

Yes cancelled and rebooked at the same rate I had even though the price has gone up since I first book a few weeks ago.

Thanks very much. I think I'll give NCL a call tomorrow. If I can get the original price in Canadian dollars then its a no-brainer.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

I booked thru a US NCL agent with my sisters who are American citizens and my booking was in US dollars. I cancelled as I found out Norwegian's rates thru a travel agent here were at par. Before I could book thru a TA our PCC called me and rebooked everything with the Canadian dollar at par. We got our original deposit back in 3-4 days. Now when I log in ny NCL acct my invoice and gratuities are in CAD.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would be hesitant to consider this "at par" deal a promotion. NCL has historically been very slow to update their exchange rates, and they only used to do it a couple of times a year.

I think the current at par situation is just a hold over from when the currencies were at par. I expect there to be an adjustment - maybe quarterly and soon, I'm sure by June at the latest. I personally am going to prepay a bunch of stuff and buy myself some OBC.

So don't be surprised if the add-ones for your at par cruise (like DSC, OBC, ShoreX) have a new exchange rate.

I remember when the exchange rate was so bad that the future cruise certificate was valued at 280 CAD, which is pretty close to what it should be worth today if we buy it in USD.

A few points to consider:

It is against CC rules to name TAs or solicit their names

We use CDN TAs, well BC and ON anyway because of the protection from supplier default to say nothing of supporting those who support our community / economy.

Do the math before making changes.

This rebooking might very well work for you but add in a few charges that might not make it worthwhile. It also depends on how much money is currently in play vs. how much is yet owing.

*IF* the booking is cancelled and refunded to the CC AND the booking is made anew vs. the out & in handled as a bookkeeping item by NCL you could lose by the extra CC foreign transaction fee on the refund if your card charges. That could be 3-4%

Add that plus you would lose 4-5% on the currency spread on the refund and currency repurchase. You buy USD at one rate and sell at another. That is they make their money without fees. You would have in effect paid the one way spread already just that it is wasted if not used to purchase anything.

It is also not a 13% discount as per a previous post. Today $111.94 CAD buys $100 USD at an official rate I'll never get but using that, I'd save $12CAD per $100 if I can buy a cruise in USD at par. That $12 is a 10.7% discount off of $112

Worst case save 11%-5%-4%= not much if though you have a small deposit and a large upcoming purchase it could be worth the time. YMMV

Not saying it is not worthwhile but everyone needs to consider the benefit for their circumstances

Edited by AweighToSea

I would be hesitant to consider this "at par" deal a promotion. NCL has historically been very slow to update their exchange rates, and they only used to do it a couple of times a year.

I think the current at par situation is just a hold over from when the currencies were at par. I expect there to be an adjustment - maybe quarterly and soon, I'm sure by June at the latest. I personally am going to prepay a bunch of stuff and buy myself some OBC.

So don't be surprised if the add-ones for your at par cruise (like DSC, OBC, ShoreX) have a new exchange rate.

I remember when the exchange rate was so bad that the future cruise certificate was valued at 280 CAD, which is pretty close to what it should be worth today if we buy it in USD.

J9 I'm a little confused by you saying you are hesitant to consider this a promotion. NCL has never charged me an exchange rate my credit card did. I've always been charged in U.S. funds. The reason I call this a promotion is for the very reason that you mention above "So don't be surprised if the add-ones for your at par cruise (like DSC, OBC, ShoreX) have a new exchange rate.". A "promotion" means something that doesn't last forever that is just put in place to entice people to purchase. Everyone is running out purchasing their cruise for this Canadian at par. Which makes their whole online account in Canadian. Then when they take the "at par" off anything you purchase in the furtue, will come complete with an exchange rate.

I also called "Canadian at par" a promotion in my above posts hoping people realize they could get screwed doing this because a promotion means it's only temporary. So people pay their deposit at par, leaving the larger portion of their cruise costs at the mercy of NCL at whatever they will eventually put the exchange rate at, when the Canadian at par promotion ends.

Edited by che5904

J9 I'm a little confused by you saying you are hesitant to consider this a promotion. NCL has never charged me an exchange rate my credit card did. I've always been charged in U.S. funds. The reason I call this a promotion is for the very reason that you mention above "So don't be surprised if the add-ones for your at par cruise (like DSC, OBC, ShoreX) have a new exchange rate.". A "promotion" means something that doesn't last forever that is just put in place to entice people to purchase. Everyone is running out purchasing their cruise for this Canadian at par. Which makes their whole online account in Canadian. Then when they take the "at par" off anything you purchase in the furtue, will come complete with an exchange rate.

I also called "Canadian at par" a promotion in my above posts hoping people realize they could get screwed doing this because a promotion means it's only temporary. So people pay their deposit at par, leaving the larger portion of their cruise costs at the mercy of NCL at whatever they will eventually put the exchange rate at, when the Canadian at par promotion ends.

Hi Che,

I have been purchasing in CAD for years, and the Canadian pricing does reflect the exchange rate, just slow to update. The Canadian price will be higher or lower than what is posted on the NCL site for periods of time. This is NCL not my credit card setting an exchange rate.

People don't need to worry about their actual cruise fare changing though. Once they are booked in Canadian, exchange rate flucuations won't affect the amount of CAD they will need at final payment.

The other reason I am hesitant to call it a promotion is that it is not promoted anywhere. I do not think this is a deliberate act to get Canadian sales, I think their IT just can't handle a dynamic exchange rate conversion.

But, all that said, it is great right now to lock at least the cruise portion in at CAD.

it is true you would lose some of your deposit depending on when you made it to foreign currency exhange transaction fees and foreign exchange differences. in my case I made my deposit in Oct. when the Cdn dollar was still almost at par with the US so the difference was negligible. I still end up gaining as there are 5 of us and now I just have to pay in Cad instead of US and they made the booking at par. I used to worry about the exhange rate in May when my final payment wasdue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually it isn't all that crazy as it is a way to drive Canadian business by offering at par and encouraging everyone to prepay everything so they have your dollars earlier; but agreed if you can take advantage of it please do so; unfortunately in my case we booked a while ago via our US based online TA so can't qualify for it :p. we were originally able to get a pretty good rate for our balcony with some OBC and the UDP.