Great news for Canadian NCL guests!

Tangocherie

We have booked all (4) of our cruises with NCL thru our Canadian TA since 2011 and all of our cruises have been invoiced in CDN $. With absolutely no change in the quoted price on NCL's website. So I don't understand the "promo" idea, haven't seen any indication that it was a promo anywhere or at anytime. Maybe it's just me, I don't know :confused:.

As I stated in an earlier post, we have also paid via "My NCL" the DSC and OBC's and were charged in CND $.

For our American friends who think or are complaining about Discrimination and " A Different Class of People" don't forget that we Canucks are unable to acquire an NCL CC and take advantage of points when booking via their CC. So in the end ,it all evens out in the wash.

cheers....the Ump...:D

We have booked all (4) of our cruises with NCL thru our Canadian TA since 2011 and all of our cruises have been invoiced in CDN $. With absolutely no change in the quoted price on NCL's website. So I don't understand the "promo" idea, haven't seen any indication that it was a promo anywhere or at anytime. Maybe it's just me, I don't know :confused:.

As I stated in an earlier post, we have also paid via "My NCL" the DSC and OBC's and were charged in CND $.

For our American friends who think or are complaining about Discrimination and " A Different Class of People" don't forget that we Canucks are unable to acquire an NCL CC and take advantage of points when booking via their CC. So in the end ,it all evens out in the wash.

cheers....the Ump...:D

FWIW it's me who keep calling the "Canadian at par" a "promo", but maybe I'm wrong, maybe this isn't new, maybe they've never charged an exchange when paying in Canadian funds? I've always been charged in U.S. funds and therefore have always paid whatever exchange my credit card puts on it.

If it hasn't always been at par, the reason (as I believe I explained above) that I've refer to it by that title is to remind people this may not always be the case.

So if I'm wrong in that NCL has always given dollar for dollar on Canadian/US money, I stand corrected.

As for your second part I agree completely, there will always be actual promotions/sales whatever that not everyone will benefit from. Otherwise there would be no reason for NCL to offer different sales, they could just have one. The idea of offering different sales is to target many different types of passengers. Another sale that comes to mind is how so many on these boards get very excited on their kid's sail free promotion. Doesn't do a darn thing to help me.

The refund was done while on the phone, but she said it could take 7-10 days to show up on the Visa. I don't know if it has actually processed yet.

I just got my refund. It took 5 business days. :D

I noticed that some items are not the same price in CA$ (not at par). Wine prices are higher in my NCL in CA$ then they were in my previous reservation in us$.

So I decided to book all my shore excursions at par right now just in case they decide to increase these prices too.

i wonder if my onboard account will be in us$ or ca$ ? Is there anyone that booked in CA$ and sailed that can answer to that question ?

If it is in us$, i guess i will also prepay tips and load some onboard credit before leaving.

It's fun to save money :p

I just got my refund. It took 5 business days. :D

I noticed that some items are not the same price in CA$ (not at par). Wine prices are higher in my NCL in CA$ then they were in my previous reservation in us$.

So I decided to book all my shore excursions at par right now just in case they decide to increase these prices too.

i wonder if my onboard account will be in us$ or ca$ ? Is there anyone that booked in CA$ and sailed that can answer to that question ?

If it is in us$, i guess i will also prepay tips and load some onboard credit before leaving.

It's fun to save money :p

Your on board account will be in USD.

I'm pre-paying DSC and buying a pile of OBC for the first time. And I agree with the thought that they might adjust. I've bought one expensive ShoreX already.

It will be interesting to see what they do about future cruise rewards. I bought one in 2009 (I think), for 250 USD, and it was valued at 280 CAD. That is the last time I sailed with a big difference in currencies. At that time you couldn't pre-pay DSC or buy ShoreX or OBC.

Finding this thread is starting to confuse me so let's see if anyone can help me out.

I booked through a US TA so in U.S. funds. Have paid only the deposit. Balance due in May.

I asked the TA to check with NCL to see if I could switch to Canadian funds and she said she did check and was told that if the deposit was paid in US $ then the balance had to be paid in the same currency.

The price for the cabin I have has gone up enough since I booked that it would not make sense for me to cancel the booking. Or, will NCL give it to me at the price I booked it at? (That's one of the things I'm confused about because some of you have said they will.)

The TA said she asked NCL about the dining package and excursions and could I book them in Can. $ and she was told that I could only if I booked them once onboard. Again, this seems to be the opposite of what others are saying on here. I'm thinking the TA has it incorrect because if the onboard acct can only be in US funds then how could it be in Canadian as she said? I'm thinking I have to phone NCL and book dining/excursions and prepay gratuities to get it in Can. $. Am I right?

Can someone who's done this help me out. I'm bummed out that this is the first time I have not booked directly with the cruise line.

I rebooked my sept cruise this morning in CDN. I immediately purchased the UDP...it was in CDN but it was $122 not $119

My UDP was $266.77CA instead of $259US (for 21 days), the difference is much less than exchage rate !

Finding this thread is starting to confuse me so let's see if anyone can help me out.

I booked through a US TA so in U.S. funds. Have paid only the deposit. Balance due in May.

I asked the TA to check with NCL to see if I could switch to Canadian funds and she said she did check and was told that if the deposit was paid in US $ then the balance had to be paid in the same currency.

The price for the cabin I have has gone up enough since I booked that it would not make sense for me to cancel the booking. Or, will NCL give it to me at the price I booked it at? (That's one of the things I'm confused about because some of you have said they will.)

The TA said she asked NCL about the dining package and excursions and could I book them in Can. $ and she was told that I could only if I booked them once onboard. Again, this seems to be the opposite of what others are saying on here. I'm thinking the TA has it incorrect because if the onboard acct can only be in US funds then how could it be in Canadian as she said? I'm thinking I have to phone NCL and book dining/excursions and prepay gratuities to get it in Can. $. Am I right?

Can someone who's done this help me out. I'm bummed out that this is the first time I have not booked directly with the cruise line.

From what i have been told, you can not change your booking to CA$. They have to cancel the US$ and rebook in CA$. I asked if i could keep the same price and she asked me to wait. Then she came back and said yes. She probably asked to a supervisor.

So you should ask your TA to ask NCL to cancel and rebook at same price.

IMHO from what i understand about their booking system, i really doubt that if you stay with a US$ booking that you will be able to pay some charge in CA$ by calling NCL before the cruise or by buying it onboard.

Just to clarify some of my points. At the time we booked our cruise's via our Cdn. TA, the CDN.$ was holding it's own against the USD. All of our charges were in CDN, cruise, obc, dsc, etc. Now that our $ has gone for a dump, don't be surprised after reading this thread and expecting your charges to be @ par then finding the opposite. We booked our Alaska Cruise this past Dec. & it was in CDN.$ (at par). If our $ doesn`t improve by the time we would like to pay the DSC and get some OBC, I fully expect to be paying more for those in CDN $.

cheers...the Ump...:D

My UDP was $266.77CA instead of $259US (for 21 days), the difference is much less than exchage rate !

From what i have been told, you can not change your booking to CA$. They have to cancel the US$ and rebook in CA$. I asked if i could keep the same price and she asked me to wait. Then she came back and said yes. She probably asked to a supervisor.

So you should ask your TA to ask NCL to cancel and rebook at same price.

IMHO from what i understand about their booking system, i really doubt that if you stay with a US$ booking that you will be able to pay some charge in CA$ by calling NCL before the cruise or by buying it onboard.

Did those of you who cancelled your US$ booking and rebooked in CA$ have cancellation insurance? I went through a big hassle regarding the cancellation insurance with my U. S. TA so I ended up not getting it. Does this mean I have no option to switch to CA$ now?

Anyone have success transferring from $US to $CAN when you used a future cruise credit?

My friends who are Canadian called in to book their cruise a long time ago. They had purchased a future cruise credit from a previous sailing, so they applied it to their booking. I don't know why they would have been invoiced in $US as they called their PCC for the booking is it because they used a cruise credit? The price of the cruise now is alot higher then it was when they booked which eliminated them just canceling and re-booking in CAN funds.

Anyone have success transferring from $US to $CAN when you used a future cruise credit?

My friends who are Canadian called in to book their cruise a long time ago. They had purchased a future cruise credit from a previous sailing, so they applied it to their booking. I don't know why they would have been invoiced in $US as they called their PCC for the booking is it because they used a cruise credit? The price of the cruise now is alot higher then it was when they booked which eliminated them just canceling and re-booking in CAN funds.

I booked our cruise with an FCC that was bought on board the Dawn, in US funds obviously. When I called to rebook in CDN funds, they refunded me the FCC and I paid the $250 deposit in CDN funds. The price was the same as it was in US, so it worked out good for us.

Having said that, I still haven't received the FCC back yet and it about 5 days ago. I will call on Monday if I still don't receive it.

I used my certificate, and was still able to cancel, reapply the certificate in Canadian dollars and keep my booking at the same price even though there was an increase. My PCC talked with her supervisor and was able to price protect my booking before cancelling.

It took a few days for the certificate to be sorted out so a hold was put on my room, it's all done now with no problems at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I asked the US TA I booked with if she would phone NCL, cancel my US$ booking and rebook it for me in CAN$. She got back to me only to tell me that I agreed to pay in US funds when I booked so US funds it will be. I am considering cancelling the booking. I know I will lose my deposit but by my calculations if I rebook in Canadian dollars and prepay gratuities, dining pkg, excursions and even go for a credit I will more than make up the loss. But please people, tell me if my thinking is wrong.

I have paid $500 US. I know the prices for the cabins have gone up a bit since I booked. I paid for a mini suite but could go down to a reg. balcony and I will check out the cabin prices before cancelling. But if someone sees where my thinking is incorrect please let me know. Exchange with the bank today is 1.1313.

Dining package for two of $240, one excursion I definitely want is $400 for two (and I would likely book more than one), gratuities for two of $168. These 3 things alone will cost me over $100 if converted to US$.

Am I stupid to cancel?

I asked the US TA I booked with if she would phone NCL, cancel my US$ booking and rebook it for me in CAN$. She got back to me only to tell me that I agreed to pay in US funds when I booked so US funds it will be. I am considering cancelling the booking. I know I will lose my deposit but by my calculations if I rebook in Canadian dollars and prepay gratuities, dining pkg, excursions and even go for a credit I will more than make up the loss. But please people, tell me if my thinking is wrong.

I have paid $500 US. I know the prices for the cabins have gone up a bit since I booked. I paid for a mini suite but could go down to a reg. balcony and I will check out the cabin prices before cancelling. But if someone sees where my thinking is incorrect please let me know. Exchange with the bank today is 1.1313.

Dining package for two of $240, one excursion I definitely want is $400 for two (and I would likely book more than one), gratuities for two of $168. These 3 things alone will cost me over $100 if converted to US$.

Am I stupid to cancel?

Why do you lose your deposit? Is that how it works when booking with a TA? I have been told when I book with my PCC at Ncl that the deposit is refundable as long as it is before final payment. When is your cruise, have you already made final payment?

Hi all,

I just booked our cruise this morning and found this thread after!!! It is booked in CDN funds but they adjusted the price with an exchange rate ($3007 USD so I was charged $3302 CDN). I am currently on the phone with NCL (I booked direct) and they have said no. I did speak with a supervisor. They said that the exchange rate was in effect April 1.

The deposit was also adjusted with the exchange rate.

Shoot!

Why do you lose your deposit? Is that how it works when booking with a TA? I have been told when I book with my PCC at Ncl that the deposit is refundable as long as it is before final payment. When is your cruise, have you already made final payment?

Error. Wouldn't lose deposit but would have lost the amount the TA gets. Doesn't matter now anyway since I am too late now that they have changed the CA$ rate.