Great news for Canadian NCL guests!

Tangocherie

I spoke to a NCL cruise consultant late last week enquiring about a cruise. He told me that NCL now accepts payment for canadian guests at par. Yes, canadians now pay fares quoted in US dollars at the same price but in Canadian dollars. WOW! At today's exchange rate that is at least a 13% discount.:)

Plus no more credit card currancy exchange fees to pay. Besides that, the US travel agent I use accepts payment in Canadian dollars, as long as the cruise line does. That means I can still use her to book a cruise on Norwegian and benefit from the extra perks she offers. Bravo Norwegian!

Edited by Tangocherie

I think that you may be misunderstanding but I could be wrong. The PCC puts the price through via fixed price on computer but then it's the credit card that charges the exchange and fees.

I also don't see how you can get around with no fees unless they take debit card over phone.

I've sent an email to my long time PCC to see what she says.

Edited by Ilovesailing

It is possible to book in CAD. Then, everything you pay for prior to what you put on your on board account is paid in CAD. I can pre-pay excursions, DSC, UDP, etc, all in Canadian dollars, no foreign exchange.

I will be surprised (pleasantly) if it holds true for my on board account.

The thing to be cautious about is that it could be at par right now because they just haven't updated their exchange rate yet. I seem to recall that they only do it twice a year. I am trying to decide if I should pre-pay everything in June, as I expect they will adjust at the end of June.

Also, this affects your future cruise credits as well. If you are on a cruise booked in the Canadian system, then your future cruise reward will also be in the Canadian system, and I'm pretty sure you will need to use it on another CAD cruise. Not a big deal, but this is where I first saw the currency exchange difference. I think ours was worth $265 towards out next cruise instead of $250.

Edited by j-9

I think that you may be misunderstanding but I could be wrong. The PCC puts the price through via fixed price on computer but then it's the credit card that charges the exchange and fees.

I also don't see how you can get around with no fees unless they take debit card over phone.

I've sent an email to my long time PCC to see what she says.

If you pay in Canadian funds, your credit card does not charge you exchange fees...

It is possible to book in CAD. Then, everything you pay for prior to what you put on your on board account is paid in CAD. I can pre-pay excursions, DSC, UDP, etc, all in Canadian dollars, no foreign exchange.

I will be surprised (pleasantly) if it holds true for my on board account.

The thing to be cautious about is that it could be at par right now because they just haven't updated their exchange rate yet. I seem to recall that they only do it twice a year. I am trying to decide if I should pre-pay everything in June, as I expect they will adjust at the end of June.

We prepaid our Panama cruise a few months ago using Amex which was a good move looking t the current rate.

So what am I missing, how do you prepay in Canadian?

If you pay in Canadian funds, your credit card does not charge you exchange fees...

So how do you pay in Can funds when the price showing is in US or are you using Canadian TA?

Ive been around for sometime time and pretty good at figuring ways around situations but you all got me on this one.

Like purchasing all the family, inlaw gift cards at Shoppers on Amex thus I getting optinum points and double aeroplan points because it shows up as pharmacy.

You have to be booked in the Canadian system. I deal directly with NCL on the phone, can't do an on-line booking. Then I transfer it to a Canadian TA, if I want.

Pretty sure a booking started through a Canadian ta would automatically be in the Canadian system but not positive.

You have to be booked in the Canadian system. I deal directly with NCL on the phone, can't do an on-line booking. Then I transfer it to a Canadian TA, if I want.

Pretty sure a booking started through a Canadian ta would automatically be in the Canadian system but not positive.

I booked our Panama cruise through a Canadian travel agent since I wanted to apply our RBC points. I was worried as final payment approached and the exchange rate was terrible...but everything was billed in CDN funds....even prepaid service charges. Indeed a relief at current exchange rates!

Yup! That was my experience! I recently booked with NCL by phone - couldn't do it online. Which is fine by me. I was told - CDN$ on par with US$ - no problem. Big surprise compared to my last cruise several years ago.

Now as for purchases on the ship - that I'm not so sure about... even so - still worth it.

Doing the St. Patty's Day Happy Dance!!!

I spoke to a NCL cruise consultant late last week enquiring about a cruise. He told me that NCL now accepts payment for canadian guests at par. Yes, canadians now pay fares quoted in US dollars at the same price but in Canadian dollars. WOW! At today's exchange rate that is at least a 13% discount.:)...

I find this hard to believe, but maybe...????

Yep, same experience here, I was pricing out a cruise on the NCL website in US (couldn't find a way to change to Canadian), when I called in and asked to book in Canadian the price was exactly the same was it was when I was looking at the NCL website in US. The deposit went on my card as $400 CDN (so no fees or conversion) and the invoice clearly says Canadian. Very good news. Also, all shore excursions and prepaying gratuities are in CDN as well!

We booked at par and our invoice is done in Canadian funds so even if they change the exchange rate it should not effect our final payment as the invoice is in Canadian dollars I would think. It is a good point to set up prepaid tips and other such things before hand and save some bucks.

Yep, same experience here, I was pricing out a cruise on the NCL website in US (couldn't find a way to change to Canadian), when I called in and asked to book in Canadian the price was exactly the same was it was when I was looking at the NCL website in US. The deposit went on my card as $400 CDN (so no fees or conversion) and the invoice clearly says Canadian. Very good news. Also, all shore excursions and prepaying gratuities are in CDN as well!

OK, I get the you can't book online to book your cruise, because obviously the system is not set up to choose currency. But you can do it via phone.

:confused: So how do you prepay gratuities and pre-book excursions and specialty dining. Those things are done online and prices are in U.S. $$$s.

OK, I get the you can't book online to book your cruise, because obviously the system is not set up to choose currency. But you can do it via phone.

:confused: So how do you prepay gratuities and pre-book excursions and specialty dining. Those things are done online and prices are in U.S. $$$s.

When I log on to MyNCL and look at my cruise that is booked in CAD, everything is in CAD. Now, I haven't actually made a payment, because my cruise is in Nov., but it is all there. So I think it is just the front end booking engine that can't handle both currencies.

Wow! didn't know that! Now, I booked online a couple of weeks ago, do you think I can call them and switch everything to canadian? I haven't made the final payment yet

Thank you!

Wow! didn't know that! Now, I booked online a couple of weeks ago, do you think I can call them and switch everything to canadian? I haven't made the final payment yet

Thank you!

Probably will have to cancel and rebook. Also if you used a USD future cruise reward I don't think you will be able to use it on a CAD cruise. And vice versa.

I would call NCL and see if they can adjust your reservation. I hope you don't have to cancel and rebook.

Sent from my mobile device. Typos are inevitable.

I actually don't have to do anything, since I don't have a cruise booked or have no intention on booking one at this time.

But if they are setting things in place to be able to book in Canadian funds, that would be good news in the future but not if it would change using a FCC, since I already have one and have paid for it.

Pretty well most changes to a booking are technically cancelled and rebooked. It seems to be the way NCL system is set up. Not really a big deal for most and most wouldn't even know it was done. It's just shuffling paperwork.

There is definitely some link between the currency of the cruise you are on when getting your FCC and the currency it is issued in. And it makes sense it would impact the cruise you are booking, as it is now in a specific currency.

From the T&Cs

To redeem your Freestyle Cruise Rewards please call your Travel Professional or Norwegian at 1-866-234-7352. At time of booking, please notify us or your Travel Professional that your Freestyle Cruise Rewards deposit will be applied to the reservation. Cruise Rewards cannot be redeemed online.

1. When you charge a $250 Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit to your shipboard account, you will receive Cruise Reward credit in USD or CAD based on which office your current cruise was purchased (credit will go in your Norwegian guest record or Norwegian Latitudes account); and an instant $100 shipboard credit towards your current cruise.

2. Your Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit is charged in U.S. dollars. You must be 21 years of age or older to charge a $250 Freestyle Cruise Rewards to your shipboard account.

http://www.ncl.com/popup/cruise_rewards_terms

Probably will have to cancel and rebook. Also if you used a USD future cruise reward I don't think you will be able to use it on a CAD cruise. And vice versa.

There is definitely some link between the currency of the cruise you are on when getting your FCC and the currency it is issued in. And it makes sense it would impact the cruise you are booking, as it is now in a specific currency.

From the T&Cs

To redeem your Freestyle Cruise Rewards please call your Travel Professional or Norwegian at 1-866-234-73521-866-234-7352. At time of booking, please notify us or your Travel Professional that your Freestyle Cruise Rewards deposit will be applied to the reservation. Cruise Rewards cannot be redeemed online.

1. When you charge a $250 Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit to your shipboard account, you will receive Cruise Reward credit in USD or CAD based on which office your current cruise was purchased (credit will go in your Norwegian guest record or Norwegian Latitudes account); and an instant $100 shipboard credit towards your current cruise.

2. Your Freestyle Cruise Rewards Deposit is charged in U.S. dollars. You must be 21 years of age or older to charge a $250 Freestyle Cruise Rewards to your shipboard account.

http://www.ncl.com/popup/cruise_rewards_terms

Hope this answers all of the above.

Have used a TA to book all of our cruises and all were invoiced in CAD.

Last year we booked 2 cruises w/ NCL ( Spirit & Jade B2B) and I pre-paid the DSC and ordered 4 x $100 CC, 2 for each cruise. All were charged in CAD.

Purchased 2 Future Cruise Certificates, both were charged to our CC in USD. One on each Ship.

Have booked an Alaska Cruise for next year w/ BIL & SIL and we used our FCC for both and our invoice is in CAD. Yes the FCC were in USD and we're paying in CAD's but I'm not concerned about the exchange, it's minimal.

We plan on doing the same ( DSC & OBC ) as we did last year, it really does make the end of cruise bill less stressful, at least for us it does.

Very easy to track by going to Guest Services and asking for a print out of your account.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Call

Send SMS

Add to Skype

You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype