How "clean" is the food?

Cruising4

Does anyone know how "clean" the food is on the ship?

For example - is a turkey burger made of turkey / spices / veggies or would it have soy protein, wheat, hfcs, caramel color (etc...).

Is the hamburger or steak 100% beef?

Is the mac and cheese made with mac and real cheese (ya know --- milk, flour, butter, cheese) or that neon stuff my kids love?

There are some local restaurants that cook like you'd cook at home and there are some that are completely dependent on processed ingredients.

It's not important enough of a question for me to ask guest services but I'm curious if anyone knows.

If you take a Behind the Scenes tour you will be absolutely amazed. The soups are made from scratch, as are the breads and rolls. The steaks are hand cut from huge sides of beef. I can honestly say that the food they are mass producing for upwards of 4000 diners is way more hand made thanwhat I do at home...

I'm amazed at how civil this thread has remained. A rarity for cc.

Although I too spend way too much money at Whole Paycheck I throw caution to the wind while on vacation. Everything in moderation. Especially moderation! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm amazed at how civil this thread has remained. A rarity for cc.

Although I too spend way too much money at Whole Paycheck I throw caution to the wind while on vacation. Everything in moderation. Especially moderation! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably because everyone realizes that there can be varying opinions on the topic and they can all be valid to their own extent. It is very refreshing to hear people discuss things and see a different point of view without reading it as 'you suck'... :)

No disrespect intended here but if the ingredients of the food and it being prepared from scratch is a priority in your life, then non luxury cruises are probably not your best bet.

Perhaps a step up to Crystal, Seaborn or Regent or even. River cruise would have more "cooked to order" options. While the mass market lines work very hard to cater to guests needs, each guest cannot have a personal chef at that price point

m

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JenLovesToTravel

If you take a Behind the Scenes tour you will be absolutely amazed. The soups are made from scratch, as are the breads and rolls. The steaks are hand cut from huge sides of beef. I can honestly say that the food they are mass producing for upwards of 4000 diners is way more hand made thanwhat I do at home...

I would love to do that tour!

Well it depends on who notices. Are the vegetables GMOs? Yes. Are GMOs bad for you? No. I would imagine they purchase from a large food supplier, I strongly doubt they source themselves. That being said there are different qualities of meat you can order from Sysco. Normally they sell different quality of beef. I would assume they serve more expensive higher quality beef in places people notice. For example a steak house, where the average person compares their onboard experience directly to national high-end chains. When your in the MDRs I usually compare it to the strip club near my house with "good food", in that you get choice filet mignon beef for $9.99. Probably have the same idea of cost... food for thought. They just present it better.

I'm the first one to chow down on everything and love it while on vacation BUT GMOs are very bad for you (and everyone else too).

With very few exceptions, isn't almost everything we eat somehow gentically modified by humans? The pork, beef and chicken is not the same as what the people say 500 years ago ate. All our fruit and veggies have been engineered in some way to benifit us. Wild caught haddock? Blue fin tuna, they may be more natural, but they have issues too.

The natural state of the world is hunger for the animals. Humans have changed that for some, due to our modifying our foods.

Even if you raise your own livestock and grow your own food, it is more than likely engineered for you.

Pick your foods and eat in moderation. Too much of any food isn't good.

Yeah, lots of salt. The wife gets the swollen ankles too after a few days on board. Maybe snorkeling in the ocean doesn't help.

Edited by NH Cruisers

The salt is definitely a big issue as it is at nearly every restaurant in the world. Salt is cheap and it tastes yummy! When we ate at Moderno, we spent half the night getting up for drinks of water ... course that didn't stop us from going again a few nights later, it was ridiculously delicious. Especially the lamb chops and the Brazilian bean and chorizo soup but I am digressing from my very healthy stance!!

the salt is definitely a big issue as it is at nearly every restaurant in the world. Salt is cheap and it tastes yummy! When we ate at moderno, we spent half the night getting up for drinks of water ... Course that didn't stop us from going again a few nights later, it was ridiculously delicious. Especially the lamb chops and the brazilian bean and chorizo soup but i am digressing from my very healthy stance!!

rofl :D

Edited by che5904

And that's not the best of it. I'm Jewish and I'm a chef. Now you know the real reason that I married my husband.

I've heard that pigs are called zebras in Israel, since there is no kosher restrictions on zebra. We all crave a little pork fat.

So what do you think is in the carton? It's eggs, generally those with cosmetic defects that would make them less interesting packed with 11 others. I have zero issues with an omelet made from eggs poured out of a carton, but maybe that's just me.

:)

It's not;).

I'm the first one to chow down on everything and love it while on vacation BUT GMOs are very bad for you (and everyone else too).

This is a very sweeping statement. The major concern on GMOs is that they haven't been studied enough so nobody really KNOWS if they are good or bad. There have been reports that people with certain allergies have problems with GMOs that are producing allergens in unexpected foods. An example of that would be if someone was allergic to something in squid ink, and they spliced a gene into a carrot to turn it purple, it might be producing that same substance. Such a person might be avoiding all squid, but could have a bad reaction to those carrots and would never know why.

GMOs can also get out into "the wild" and spread these new genes to other plants and animals. We definitely don't know what happens when these new genes interact with unstudied sub-species.

GMOs may also be BETTER for you. If a gene has no other ill effects but it means that the plant can be grown without pesticides and excess fertilizer, then the plant has fewer poisons on it and is better for the environment.

The bottom line is... we just DON'T know.

This may be a good spot to either go back to joking around or to just drop the whole thing. Otherwise, we move on to Monsanto, Roundup, Agent Orange, and the like so maybe we ought to just have a good smoking v nonsmoking debate or a good chair hog debate in order to calm things down.

This may be a good spot to either go back to joking around or to just drop the whole thing. Otherwise, we move on to Monsanto, Roundup, Agent Orange, and the like so maybe we ought to just have a good smoking v nonsmoking debate or a good chair hog debate in order to calm things down.

I don't see anyone NOT being nice....

I, for one, am learning a lot.

Why do you think the discussion needs "calming"?

Everyone has been great and I, too, have really enjoyed this thread. I'm just concerned that we may be turning the corner LOL as the saying goes. The GMO debate is not a pretty one with very strong opinions on both sides. I am in strong disagreement with Valen's post, not at all in tone but in content. I'd rather not get into Roundup and such, always gets way too heated. It was just a suggestion :)

The best part about this topic has been that even though we have different ways to eat at home we all love to relax and indulge on vacation!

For some strange reason the salads on the ncl menus look very appealing to me now. That wasn't the case a year ago.

Thinking of getting some of that pictured squirting nacho cheese onto a pretzel roll though!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

This discussion is interesting, but will never end in total agreement.

I can and will eat anything that doesn't bark or bite back and have been doing that all my life.

Others may take one bite of the stuff I eat and end up in the emergency room.

I say ---- Try it to see if you can tolerate it. If not -- leave it alone !!

Edited by swedish weave

Every time I think of "clean food" on a cruise ship, I think of how annoyed I get when I see people put their dirty hands on stuff in the buffet

And boy, won't they be the first to complain when self-service goes out the window due to noro protocols.;)