We need a really good lie!!

LCTXcruiser

First of all you are RAD parents!!!

my dad used to do this type of stuff too for us kids and it was awesome! sometimes it was surprises, "excuse" to get me out of school the day before etc.. (and look i am still a nice, productive, hardworking, never call out "sick" person. just sayin).. always had my homework in hand that always got done regardless.. and yes 2 weeks @ disneyworld when i was 12 and i still got my homework done while on vacation... :p

anyways..... were you wanting to tell him before you drove or when you got there??

IMO... i think you should just pick him up from school, get in the car and just start driving.. play 20 questions... if he figures it out before you get there, awesome... if not.... he will figure it out when you roll up to the port.. :-)

First of all you are RAD parents!!!

my dad used to do this type of stuff too for us kids and it was awesome! sometimes it was surprises, "excuse" to get me out of school the day before etc.. (and look i am still a nice, productive, hardworking, never call out "sick" person. just sayin).. always had my homework in hand that always got done regardless.. and yes 2 weeks @ disneyworld when i was 12 and i still got my homework done while on vacation... :p

anyways..... were you wanting to tell him before you drove or when you got there??

IMO... i think you should just pick him up from school, get in the car and just start driving.. play 20 questions... if he figures it out before you get there, awesome... if not.... he will figure it out when you roll up to the port.. :-)

i mean tell him if he asks where you are going.. say "ok lets play 20 questions to see if you can figure it out. if not you will just have to wait til we get there"...

I just died!!

Can't wait to see which idea the OP used. :)

I lolololol too .... my first thought was, my early parenting years were never the same once they changed the formula of Dimetap. Awesome! lol

And, I can't wait either ... these are so cute. I don't think there is any way I could keep my trap shut that long. Lol

Sent from my Commadore 64 using the Cruise Critic forum app

I really hope the OP comes back and tells us what she ended up saying:D:D

And to those posters out there, complaining about parents pulling their kids out of school, or calling in sick, MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

You have absolutely NO right to tell parents how to raise their kids. It's THEIR decision.

What may not be right for YOU, is not necessarily the case for ALL.

Geesh!!!!:mad::mad:

And to those posters out there, complaining about parents pulling their kids out of school, or calling in sick, MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

You have absolutely NO right to tell parents how to raise their kids. It's THEIR decision.

Where's the like button ??

We took two grandkids out of school for a week (right before their spring break) to cruise on the Valor... DS was on spring break from college so only time we could cruise.

They learned more from the cruise than they would of in school...

six different islands, cultures and etc.

Cathy

PLEASE do not teach and encourage children that calling in sick when you are not sick is ok. I work in healthcare and know for a fact that this happens all the time. So patients, colleagues and others are left to work short handed at risk to everyone, so you can have fun. It is morally and ethically wrong and not a good message to teach our children.

Sorry to burst the bubble of what has been a fun posting so far, but this really upset me.

I am looking forward to reading about how the OP finally decides to make this exciting family holiday extra special with this big surprise. If you take children out of school,with teachers knowledge and plan to make sure home work is all done, the learning from travel is invaluable. Not the same as calling in sick for a fun day or vacation.

its morally & ethically wrong to call in sick when you are not but its ok to lie to your kids about something? wouldn't anything other than we are going on a cruise be morally & ethically wrong then? lighten up and step down off your soap box.

Can't wait to hear what you told him!

We booked a cruise last week for my DH, myself, and our 14 year old DS. We are leaving our two younger kids at home so he is going to be so excited! We aren't telling him til his graduation party in June. I am going to write a poem and have a box with some items in it and see if he can figure it out. I was going to wait till we are on our way but it is a 15 hour drive and I wouldn't be able to keep my mouth shut long enough. lol

LIKE........LIKE......LIKE

I love these threads when the "Saints come marching in" with their high moral code and razor sharp sense of right and wrong.

They would never do it , their parents told them to never do it, so it must be wrong for all mankind .

Amen :D

PLEASE do not teach and encourage children that calling in sick when you are not sick is ok. I work in healthcare and know for a fact that this happens all the time. So patients, colleagues and others are left to work short handed at risk to everyone, so you can have fun. It is morally and ethically wrong and not a good message to teach our children.

Sorry to burst the bubble of what has been a fun posting so far, but this really upset me.

I am looking forward to reading about how the OP finally decides to make this exciting family holiday extra special with this big surprise. If you take children out of school,with teachers knowledge and plan to make sure home work is all done, the learning from travel is invaluable. Not the same as calling in sick for a fun day or vacation.

I just want to say I am 30 years old and have been like the OP's child, with my parents pulling me out of school for surprises such as a 2 week vacation on a cruise followed by a week in Disney. As well as taking me to the local amusement park for the day before all the schools let out for the summer. Some of these things my mom and dad did for my brothers and myself are some of my favourite memories today and we talk and reminisce about it often. To this day I go to work, I don't call in sick unless I physically cannot go to work. It is unfair saying this will teach children the wrong thing when in fact the 4 cruises I went on before the age of 10 taught me more than what any text book would ever teach me. I always completed my homework and was assigned to write in a journal everyday about what I saw and experienced.

To the OP, good for you for putting this together for your son! This will be something he will always remember and a memory he will hold near and dear one day! I am looking forward to hearing the outcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Tell him you've arranged his marriage and you're going to pick up his bride. Hope you have a wonderful time and pull off the surprise. I would have already blown it and told him!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tell him you've arranged his marriage and you're going to pick up his bride. Hope you have a wonderful time and pull off the surprise. I would have already blown it and told him!

Cute!!

I wanted to fill in everyone - especially after we got so many good posts!

We took a little bit from alot of people. But here's how it went:

Little bit of a back story... Our son has a toenail that is starting to become ingrown. A few weeks back we told him that we were going to have to take him to the Dr. to have it removed.

Anyway - we told him that he was going to take the day off school to go to a doctor in Galveston and that if everything goes ok, we'd spend the rest of the day on the beach in Galveston. We packed the car the night before so he wasn't aware of the luggage (NOTE: To the poster who said their kids wouldn't notice the luggage if they were sitting on it... you're right. He was totally oblivious to the luggage in the back).

As we were driving up to the terminal he kept asking how far was the doctor's office was, but had a very confused look on his face. Finally he said, "Are we going on a cruise?". We said no, and it was only then that he looked in the back of the suv and said "Why do we have luggage packed?".

He had a smile from ear to ear!

We had a great time and the weather was beautiful. Thanks to everyone for all their posts.

That's great.....my dad always said, there are some things you just can't learn in a classroom. Traveling, seeing new cultures, interacting with other people, just experiencing the process...invaluable. Plus, you have great family memories. I work in rural Montana, which is most of the state, haha. I work with kids who NEVER leave Montana. I hope to someday take my grandchild on a cruise and will probably pull her out of school do to it. I've worked over 30 years in education and as long as the child does the required lessons, I have no problem with showing her new experiences. :D

That's great.....my dad always said, there are some things you just can't learn in a classroom. Traveling, seeing new cultures, interacting with other people, just experiencing the process...invaluable. Plus, you have great family memories. I work in rural Montana, which is most of the state, haha. I work with kids who NEVER leave Montana. I hope to someday take my grandchild on a cruise and will probably pull her out of school do to it. I've worked over 30 years in education and as long as the child does the required lessons, I have no problem with showing her new experiences. :D

Couldn't agree with you more. I have several nieces and nephews that live in a very small town (appx 3k people) and the only time they've ever been out of state was for a family trip to Branson, Missouri. I truly believe the only way to really appreciate where you live is to see other areas - especially other countries.

I know you're grandkids would have a great time - so make sure you do it. You only have so much time with your grandkids - make a memory that will be with them long after you're gone.

Couldn't agree with you more. I have several nieces and nephews that live in a very small town (appx 3k people) and the only time they've ever been out of state was for a family trip to Branson, Missouri. I truly believe the only way to really appreciate where you live is to see other areas - especially other countries.

I know you're grandkids would have a great time - so make sure you do it. You only have so much time with your grandkids - make a memory that will be with them long after you're gone.

I am so glad you came back to give us the results of what you did and that he was surprised. I have to agree with you, when I was growing up we didn't take real vacations. We only traveled to see relatives, an aunt in upper Mississippi and my grandparents just outside of Dallas. We made a side trip to Six Flags and the zoo on one trip.

I wanted to make sure my daughter had good memories of family vacations so when she was little we spent long weekends at the beach every summer, we went to Disneyworld multiple times and she has been all over the Caribbean on cruises. We took her out of school to do some of that and she will be 20 on Saturday(time flew by too fast) and managed to graduate high school with honors and is studying pharmacy in college now.

With her in college now we do have to plan trips around her schedule but I am taking her and her BFF on the Dream in May for a first ever girls only cruise and I am sure we will have good memories of that trip as well.

I wanted to fill in everyone - especially after we got so many good posts!

We took a little bit from alot of people. But here's how it went:

Little bit of a back story... Our son has a toenail that is starting to become ingrown. A few weeks back we told him that we were going to have to take him to the Dr. to have it removed.

Anyway - we told him that he was going to take the day off school to go to a doctor in Galveston and that if everything goes ok, we'd spend the rest of the day on the beach in Galveston. We packed the car the night before so he wasn't aware of the luggage (NOTE: To the poster who said their kids wouldn't notice the luggage if they were sitting on it... you're right. He was totally oblivious to the luggage in the back).

As we were driving up to the terminal he kept asking how far was the doctor's office was, but had a very confused look on his face. Finally he said, "Are we going on a cruise?". We said no, and it was only then that he looked in the back of the suv and said "Why do we have luggage packed?".

He had a smile from ear to ear!

We had a great time and the weather was beautiful. Thanks to everyone for all their posts.

Love it! We surprised our daughter with a Disney cruise back in Jan. Bags packed and loaded in the back the night before. She had no idea until we were pulling up to the terminal and wondered how those cruise ships could be docked at Aunt Carlette's! Lol!

Hope you got some great photos of your son's surprise!

Once, I lied to the kids and told them we were going to the airport to see Santa (their dad was coming home on Christmas Eve from a military deployment back in the day when all the guys wore their uniforms on commercial planes). They were so busy looking for a guy in a red suit that my husband was looking them straight in they eye for a few seconds until they realized who was there! Of course, I could never as a mom tell my kids we were going to foster care! I have an awful feeling at age 8 they might believe me!! GL and share what you did...I may have to use it one day;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I wanted to fill in everyone - especially We packed the car the night before so he wasn't aware of the luggage (NOTE: To the poster who said their kids wouldn't notice the luggage if they were sitting on it... you're right. He was totally oblivious to the luggage in the back).

Hey I resemble that remark!

Glad you had a great time!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk