Panama Canal on Zuiderdam cabin selection

sp2

We are trying to choose a verandah cabin on Zuiderdam for the Panama Canal partial transit in Nov or Dec 2014. In Dec 2012, we lucked out and had a beautiful corner aft deluxe suite 5191 on the Westerdam for the Caribbean.

Our budget cannot run to a suite this time; however, there are a number of aft verandah cabins available. We are looking at 8134, 8136, 8138, 8141, 8143, or 8145. Any advantages or disadvantages to these cabins? They are right under the Lido deck, would this be a pro or con? Are they covered completely? Any problems with soot? Would we better to select the same location, but on deck 5, 6 or 7? Are the balconies smaller on deck 8?

We enjoyed the aft balcony last time in order to have the great view of the wake and thought this would be great for seeing the Panama Canal.

Any advice? I was hoping to check out Joanie's great website for these cabins but I understand it is no longer up and running :(

Thanks!

Sharon

We are trying to choose a verandah cabin on Zuiderdam for the Panama Canal partial transit in Nov or Dec 2014. In Dec 2012, we lucked out and had a beautiful corner aft deluxe suite 5191 on the Westerdam for the Caribbean.

Our budget cannot run to a suite this time; however, there are a number of aft verandah cabins available. We are looking at 8134, 8136, 8138, 8141, 8143, or 8145. Any advantages or disadvantages to these cabins? They are right under the Lido deck, would this be a pro or con? Are they covered completely? Any problems with soot? Would we better to select the same location, but on deck 5, 6 or 7? Are the balconies smaller on deck 8?

We enjoyed the aft balcony last time in order to have the great view of the wake and thought this would be great for seeing the Panama Canal.

Any advice? I was hoping to check out Joanie's great website for these cabins but I understand it is no longer up and running :(

Thanks!

Sharon

You will have hardly any privacy on the deck with the cabins you listed. Here is a link to Candy's post with a picture of the aft of the Zuiderdam. I would choose a cabin on the deck below if one is available.

We will be on our fourth cruise on the Zuiderdam in May!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=16637024&postcount=10

Edited by kjw869

For the Zuiderdam and partial Panama Canal cruise I would not choose an aft Cabin -- JMO. Unless you go forward you can not really see the full view as the ship goes through the Gatun Locks. And that is what this cruise is all about. You need to be out on the bow.

We have done several partial and quite a few full transits. We like the port side as we can see the locks and scenery.

The wake for us is not appealing.

I agree with kjw869 that you should go down to deck 7 to get further from people at the deck 9 railing, and with KK, that you should be out on a forward deck going through the locks.

If you want total shade and privacy, go down to deck 5, which is completely covered.

attachment.php?attachmentid=276068&d=1371614118

Edited by jtl513

Friends were in two adjoining stern cabins on deck 5 of the Zuiderdam for our partial Canal cruise, and I visited them often.

The advantage of deck 5 was that the balcony was completely covered. There was no one to look down watching, and we were sheltered from rain (there can be a lot in the Canal) and sun.

The balcony was very long from door to rail, so there was space to spread out. The only drawback I found was that there was no breeze.

You can still opt to head to the bow, or other forward observation decks, as well as walk along the Promenade Deck to get different perspectives.

For the Zuiderdam and partial Panama Canal cruise I would not choose an aft Cabin -- JMO. Unless you go forward you can not really see the full view as the ship goes through the Gatun Locks. And that is what this cruise is all about. You need to be out on the bow.

We have done several partial and quite a few full transits. We like the port side as we can see the locks and scenery.

The wake for us is not appealing.

IMHO our aft cabin had perfect viewing as we could watch from a comfortable chair with a cool drink. We could watch all of the action on both sides of the ships following the Zuiderdam. Looking up from our Deck 6 stateroom at the bow of a huge cargo ship was so neat.

The same view is also available on the aft Lido with a lot less folks than the aft. Panama buns are available in the Lido Restaurant until they are gone.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1436

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1434

We recently returned from Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise- Aft balcony room 5188 was wonderful- Total privacy - the covered roof gave us relief from the sun, but the aft location also brought us enough sun at various times of the day. We did go to the forward area of the ship for the entry into the locks, but then back to our balcony to enjoy the rest until it was time to depart for our excursion through the remaining locks. A fabulous cruise!

We were in an aft cabin on the Noordam Deck 8 for a Southern Caribbean cruise. Wonderful cruise but our balcony did collect garbage from the Lido deck..napkins, fruit peels and once a bathing suit! And there was a waterfall every early morning when they hosed down the Lido deck. People could look down but you would only be seen if you were standing at the rail, so it wasn't a big deal...I have to agree with Ruth C. that there was no cross breeze and there were times that it was too hot for me to sit out there depending on where the sun was. For that reason we would not choose another aft cabin in the Caribbean or elsewhere that is hot.

We did this last October and had an aft wrap suite, which was perfect. Since that isn't an option for you I would still vote for an aft balcony but on level 5 where the balcony is covered. We went out on the bow for the trip in through the locks, but were on our balcony for the trip back. It was very interesting to watch from the back of the ship with the gates closing behind us.

I was able to take advantage of an upsell offer for my Zuiderdam Panama partial transit cruise in Jan 2010. I ended up with 8147 - starboard size aft wrap.

OMG - it was awesome. Yes - people could look down - but people were friendly and polite. It is a good amount covered. See pix of my cabin here... (I believe I shared these with HALfacts.com also.)

http://trudyginsburg.com/zu.html

more pix from the trip - including Panama transit shots from the balcony are here... http://trudyginsburg.com/Vacations/Pages/Panama_1_10.html

We started the morning on deck 9 in front of the gym, and once we were in the first lock - we retreated to our balcony.

We recently returned from Zuiderdam Panama Canal cruise- Aft balcony room 5188 was wonderful- Total privacy - the covered roof gave us relief from the sun, but the aft location also brought us enough sun at various times of the day. We did go to the forward area of the ship for the entry into the locks, but then back to our balcony to enjoy the rest until it was time to depart for our excursion through the remaining locks. A fabulous cruise!

One question off the thread topic, how many and when were the formal nights? Thanks, Linda

So it seems then, that the majority would prefer a deck 5, 6 or 7 aft balcony rather than deck 8. Are the ones on deck 6 or 7 partially or fully covered? Do they actually differ in size of the balcony? I understand the ones on deck 5 are fully covered (and seem to recall that from our experience in 5191).

Just trying to narrow it down..........:)

We did this cruise in Feb and were in 7151, aft wrap around deck, it was absolutely wonderful but we enjoyed the same location on deck 5 a couple of years ago for the same cruise, much more. mainly because of the privacy and the suite seemed larger too. There was plenty of sun if you stay near the rail, and adequate breeze also....