Hemodialysis on a cruise - help!

Isa65

I already posted this in the Disabled Cruisers thread, but thought I might get an answer here as well.

I have a client who really wants to join his family on an upcoming cruise, but he needs to undergo hemodialysis 3 x a week.

Carnival Cruise Lines already informed me that they are not equipped to assist him and that we need to make an appointment for the treatment at the several ports of call.

Does anyone have (contact) information on clinics we can make an appointment at in Ocho Rios, Cozumel or Grand Cayman?

Thanks in advance!

My brother was on hemodialisys and the place where he got his done arranged for him to have it in other locations while travelling. I'd ask them first. If timed right he may only need two treatments.

Another thought is will insurance pay for it out of the country? My brother had his in the US.

My first inquiry would be his current office.

Edited by Boozebabe

This will not solve your problem on an existing booking, but your client might want to look at http://www.dialysisatsea.com/ which is a group that actually takes dialysis patients on specific cruises and provides dialysis on the ship (with their own nurse) in conjunction with the ship's own medical staff. It is a good program for those that can afford the cost.

There a huge problem with trying to do a cruise and making prior arrangements for dialysis ashore (in foreign countries that have various medical standards). What happens if your cruise cannot get into a port (this is not uncommon with Grand Cayman). Of an even worse scenario is a major storm that causes a ship to miss several ports of totally alter their itinerary (this does happen).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

This will not solve your problem on an existing booking, but your client might want to look at http://www.dialysisatsea.com/ which is a group that actually takes dialysis patients on specific cruises and provides dialysis on the ship (with their own nurse) in conjunction with the ship's own medical staff. It is a good program for those that can afford the cost.

There a huge problem with trying to do a cruise and making prior arrangements for dialysis ashore (in foreign countries that have various medical standards). What happens if your cruise cannot get into a port (this is not uncommon with Grand Cayman). Of an even worse scenario is a major storm that causes a ship to miss several ports of totally alter their itinerary (this does happen).

Hank

There seems to be too many possible problems to consider - other than on a cruise specifically tailored for dialysis patients. Weather conditions, possible political problems causing change of conditions, ship engine problems, etc.

I cannot help thinking of the other thread lamenting on the inability of passengers to sue cruise lines re: health complications. -- there is a potential indirect connection.

I very much doubt that a cruise line would welcome passengers with such needs - when they are reluctant to accept pregnant women past a certain stage.

There seems to be too many possible problems to consider - other than on a cruise specifically tailored for dialysis patients. Weather conditions, possible political problems causing change of conditions, ship engine problems, etc.

I cannot help thinking of the other thread lamenting on the inability of passengers to sue cruise lines re: health complications. -- there is a potential indirect connection.

I very much doubt that a cruise line would welcome passengers with such needs - when they are reluctant to accept pregnant women past a certain stage.

Me thinks you are totally wrong (we do dislike taking on other posters) and also are doing a great disservice to those on Dialysis. The organization we mentioned has a great reputation and works with both Celebrity and RCI. When they take small groups on cruises, they bring their own equipment, have their own specialty dialysis nurses (we have personally talked to two) and also bring along their own board certified Nephrologist and work directly with the cruise line. Your doubts are misplaced and just not borne out by the history of this company,

But there is a down side...which is that they do not come cheap (nor does dialysis) and the service is usually not covered by insurance. A majority of US Dialysis patients are actually covered by Medicare (regardless of their age) who will not provide coverage on ships.

So we suggest that before you express your "doubts" you read-up on this group and perhaps speak with a few folks who have used their services.

We will grant you that if something goes wrong with their services, it might be difficult to get any kind of legal satisfaction.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Me thinks you are totally wrong (we do dislike taking on other posters) and also are doing a great disservice to those on Dialysis. The organization we mentioned has a great reputation and works with both Celebrity and RCI.

Hank

I think you are both agreeing

Navybanker stated there could be problems.... other than on a cruise specifically tailored for dialysis patients.

We were on a cruise that also had Dialysis at Sea. We did not use it, but we did have a member of our Roll Call whose husband was a patient. It actually seemed like a decent deal. (the Fee for Dialysis at Sea was broken down by all the participants. The fee included the machine(s), fluids, and technicians' fare.) On a seven day cruise, they had dialysis days scheduled for two sea days and a short port day, so the patients could take the best advantage of the Cruise and the Dialysis without having to give up too much of their time on the cruise.

I think you are both agreeing

Navybanker stated there could be problems.... other than on a cruise specifically tailored for dialysis patients.

Thanks for pointing that out. I think dialysis at sea is a great idea - and only wished to express the view that it would be too risky - for both line and passenger - to consider relying on making it to particular scheduled ports on a regular cruise.

Thanks for pointing that out. I think dialysis at sea is a great idea - and only wished to express the view that it would be too risky - for both line and passenger - to consider relying on making it to particular scheduled ports on a regular cruise.

I agree

Our friends will only go with the Dialysis at sea group

Lyn