May 17,2014 Grand leaving From Ballentyne Pier??

trinaM

Port of Vancouver says that our ONE day pacific coastal on the GRAND princess is leaving May 17,2014 from the Ballentyne Pier instead of Canada place.

Princess Reps Say that the ship is leaving from 999canada place in vancouver (canada place)

My question is what are my alternatives to a TAXI from richards street to ballentyne if that is where the ship is departing from? is it safe to walk? can I do public bus?

What type of costs associated with this trip? Does princess have a SHUTTLE from Canada Place to Ballentyne pier-If they have said Grand is leaving from 999 canada place? thanks for the info.

2 years ago our ship left from Ballentyne so to save a few $$ my sis and I took the bus from near Canada Place. Thankfully we met another couple doing the same because it was a pretty sketchy part of town from the bus stop to the pier, about 6 blocks. Then it started to rain, and in order to get to the terminal we had to lug our suitcases down several (4-6) flights of stairs then walk about the distance of a block or 2 to the terminal doors. By this time it's a torrential downpour! Let's just say I'm glad our photos weren't on our cabin cards! Take a cab, it's worth every penny as it takes you to the front door!

It's not that expensive. There were shuttles as some pax were going from one cruise to another.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Port of Vancouver says that our ONE day pacific coastal on the GRAND princess is leaving May 17,2014 from the Ballentyne Pier instead of Canada place.

Princess Reps Say that the ship is leaving from 999canada place in vancouver (canada place)

My question is what are my alternatives to a TAXI from richards street to ballentyne if that is where the ship is departing from? is it safe to walk? can I do public bus?

What type of costs associated with this trip? Does princess have a SHUTTLE from Canada Place to Ballentyne pier-If they have said Grand is leaving from 999 canada place? thanks for the info.

$15 for a taxi. Getting there on the bus ($2.75/ea) is possible, but requires a longish up and over with a an overpass over the railway tracks. On the dockside, it's probably a 3 flight staircase back down with your luggage.

We were on a cruise which departed from Ballantyne, and unless conditions have changed dramatically since 2009, don't even consider trying to get there using a form of public transportation. As others have noted, it is in a rough area of Vancouver. Just take a taxi.

Princess Reps Say that the ship is leaving from 999canada place in vancouver (canada place)...

Troubled to hear this - we are also on this cruise and had prepared for Ballentyne per the Port of Vancouver's website. Your Princess rep info is troubling to say the least... *sigh*.... :eek:

Pretty rare for Princess to leave from there.

I am not sure what that has to do with things. However, rare as it may be, there are 4 cruise ships in Vancouver that day including 2 Princess ships and it appears that the Grand has been bumped to Ballantyne.

...rare as it may be, there are 4 cruise ships in Vancouver that day including 2 Princess ships and it appears that the Grand has been bumped to Ballantyne.

Yes, my thoughts as well. At this point I am more likely to trust the Port's official website over a phone rep. Thanks PD.

Princess will have the Coral Princess at Canada Place as it home ports in Vancouver for the Alaska cruise season.

The Grand Princess is only there for the day and leaves for Seattle where it is homeporting for the Alaska cruise season so we will be at Ballantyne Pier.

Cheers

Dennis

Princess will have the Coral Princess at Canada Place as it home ports in Vancouver for the Alaska cruise season.

The Grand Princess is only there for the day and leaves for Seattle where it is homeporting for the Alaska cruise season so we will be at Ballantyne Pier.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, I think this forms part of criteria that Port Metro Vancouver often uses in berthing assignments on repositioning weekends but refrained from saying so as I have seen that not to be the case as a few years back a the Golden and the Sapphire were both berthed at Canada place even though the Golden was to be homeported in Seattle and a HAL ship that was homeported in Vancouver was bumped to Ballantyne. Then we have the matter of the Amsterdam using CP on May 17th, the weekend in question, and its being homeported in Seattle this year....so other things such as size do go into the equation.

I am not sure what that has to do with things. However, rare as it may be, there are 4 cruise ships in Vancouver that day including 2 Princess ships and it appears that the Grand has been bumped to Ballantyne.

So like I said its rare. Just saying because I don't see Princess ships there that often.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

So like I said its rare. Just saying because I don't see Princess ships there that often.

I see and I suppose you study the berthing assignments in Vancouver all the time. My comment relates to the fact that rarity has nothing to do with the fact that the Grand or any other Princess ship for that matter may be using Balantyne other than to fill space on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

What is the Walk like from Centennial/heatly ave to the actual Terminal Doors?

What is it like?

What amenities does the Ballentyne Pier have that is different from Canada Place.

Oh and by the way. Thanks all for responding to my questions!! :)

Here's some information from the Port's web site.

http://www.portmetrovancouver.com/en/about/cruiseandtourism/terminalinformation.aspx

As for your question - are you talking about from the street outside the port entrance to the terminal - ie where the bus stops etc or inside the port area - taxis will drop you almost right at the terminal doors, porters will take you bags etc.

If from outside the port entrance - that is described in the link above - but essentially you have to walk up the ramp and then down stairs to get to the port area. I have sailed from and arrived at Ballantyne on a couple of occasions and I also either being dropped off or taxis to it.

I will be getting off the Grand that morning.

What amenities are are you wondering about. As the port is only used a couple of weekends a year anything there will be temporary.

With only one ship it should be less crowded than the zoo that is likely to be occuring at Canada Place.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers!

Dennis

With only one ship it should be less crowded than the zoo that is likely to be occuring at Canada Place.

This is exactly what someone on the Roll Call mentioned and it makes perfect sense! Ballentyne is not the prettiest pier ever but our one ship will make check in and embarkation much easier. :)

Langley, I see you usually cruise RCI, how did you choose this Princess ONE day cruise?

This is exactly what someone on the Roll Call mentioned and it makes perfect sense! Ballentyne is not the prettiest pier ever but our one ship will make check in and embarkation much easier. :)

Langley, I see you usually cruise RCI, how did you choose this Princess ONE day cruise?

Hi Trina, this is a birthday present from my husband. :) The price was great, just about what you would pay for a hotel room anyway. We have always wanted to take the train between Vancouver and Seattle but could never make it work. This way, when we disembark the cruise in Seattle we are spending the night in a hotel and taking the train back to Vancouver in the morning! Should be wonderful.

Hi Trina, this is a birthday present from my husband. :) The price was great, just about what you would pay for a hotel room anyway. We have always wanted to take the train between Vancouver and Seattle but could never make it work. This way, when we disembark the cruise in Seattle we are spending the night in a hotel and taking the train back to Vancouver in the morning! Should be wonderful.

Hi Karen,

I love that train trip, Its so relaxing. Quite the way to travel between Vancouver /Seattle or the reverse. I might even just take the train for the scenery!.

Hope you're having a good weekend.

Susan

• 3 weeks later...
As someone who has cruised twice from Ballentyne Pier, worked at said pier, lived close by in younger days, I would gladly paid $10/$15 taxi even from closest bus stop to get to ship.

thanks for your info.

It helps to know something about the port at Ballentyne.

• 4 weeks later...

Ended up taking a short taxi ride. I am glad that We did because we walked alot the day before. It was pleasant. I saw that it would have been a bit more of a walk than I had imagined. Thanks to all for your experiences.