Boarding time restrictions

rubydoobydoo

It has been hi lighted on our roll call that the e docs we have for our cruise on May 2nd state that each deck has been allocated a boarding time due to lack of space in the terminal at Southampton

I didn't notice this when reading the e docs so it is a good job we have a roll call, but my question is, if anyone has had experience of this is, how likely is it that you will be sent away If you do not come at the time allocated for your deck.

I have already made travel arrangements and the other party who I am traveling with have been allocated a later time, is it likely that they will be allowed to board at the same time as us, or will we be allowed to board later with them, I know they will not want to wait in the car on their own while we board

It was a linked booking so I don't know if that makes a difference

Also what does priority boarding for being in concierge get you ?

I know in the past I have been able to board whenever I arrive and it has never said any different on the e docs before, I assume this is for Southampton boarding only .

Thanks

Janis

Must be something new because we didn't have any such "by deck" boarding on our two transatlantics out of Southampton. My guess, and I'd actually bet real money on it, is that you'll have no problem at all....just arrive when you want and no one will actually care if you are in your assigned time slot or not.

We were sent a delayed boarding time via e-mail for the Silhouette out of Fort Lauderdale last December. We got there about half an hour before the stated time, and we were not turned away to get into the line to check-in. We were in Concierge Class, and along with Aqua Class, Suites and Zenith members we had a dedicated line.

We are currently making enhancements to the City Cruise Terminal in Southampton and seating space is extremely limited during this period.

For this reason we will not be able to accommodate guests in the terminal before 11:30 AM. In order to enhance the check-in and boarding

experience and to limit queues and waiting times, we have scheduled the below check-in appointments for our guests. Guests arriving before this

time will be asked to return at their assigned check-in time.

Check-In Appointment

Celebrity Cruises*would like to o er the following check-in times to better enhance the check-in and boarding experience. Check-in will take

place between 11:30 AM and 3:30 PM. We encourage and recommend guests arrive at the following designated times to limit queues and wait

times.

Deck 11 & 12 11:30 AM

Deck 10 12:00 PM

Deck 9 12:45 PM

Deck 8 1:30 PM

Deck 7 2:15 PM

Deck 3 & 6 3:00 PM

This is what it says, just wondered how strict they will be

Sounds strange. Maybe they are trying to influence arrival times to spread the workload but in practice are they going to turn away hundreds who arrive early? It would be chaos. We are sailing on the 10th May and will be arriving at 11.30 as always.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

It is contradictory as one one line it says guests will be asked to return later then on another line it says we encourage

I will arrive at my time of 11.30 then and hope we can all board

Edited by rubydoobydoo

We are currently making enhancements to the City Cruise Terminal in Southampton and seating space is extremely limited during this period.

For this reason we will not be able to accommodate guests in the terminal before 11:30 AM. In order to enhance the check-in and boarding

experience and to limit queues and waiting times, we have scheduled the below check-in appointments for our guests. Guests arriving before this

time will be asked to return at their assigned check-in time.

Check-In Appointment

Celebrity Cruises*would like to o er the following check-in times to better enhance the check-in and boarding experience. Check-in will take

place between 11:30 AM and 3:30 PM. We encourage and recommend guests arrive at the following designated times to limit queues and wait

times.

Deck 11 & 12 11:30 AM

Deck 10 12:00 PM

Deck 9 12:45 PM

Deck 8 1:30 PM

Deck 7 2:15 PM

Deck 3 & 6 3:00 PM

This is what it says, just wondered how strict they will be

The way I'm reading it you would be turned away if you arrived before 11.30, but from then on it's just a recommendation to stick to the allotted times.

It seems a bit odd to try to enforce timed boarding , what happens when the Celebrity organised transfers arrive? People from all potentially every deck arriving together on one bus? How on earth could they enforce timed boarding in these circumstances?

My guess is that whilst they would like to stagger the times people arrive to board, they won't turn people away who arrive at a different time.

D

Maybe they are trying to be pro-active and avoid folks complaining. If the terminal is under renovation and seating and space will be limited it could be a lot of standing in long lines. July will be my first time to sail from Southampton so I have no idea how small or spacious the terminal is.

Hope someone who sails in May or June will report back.

• 1 month later...

I just noticed this in the e-docs for Bermuda cruise on Summit in June, but it also says that Captains Club members (no specific class) can board any time. I certainly intend to be there by 11am, as usual (I am on deck 7). I cannot imagine taking their advice and getting there at 3pm if I were on deck 2! Note there is no indication of the reason for this as others have noted when they got their notice. The bolding is theirs.

Dear Summit Guest,

To assist with your check-in and boarding experience at the Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal in Bayonne, New Jersey for your Celebrity Summit Cruise on 08 JUN 2014, please note the following recommendations:

Check-In Appointment

Celebrity Cruises would like to offer the following Check-in times to better enhance the check in and boarding experience. Check In will take place between 11:00 AM and 3:30 PM. We encourage and recommend guests arrive at the following designated times to limit queues and wait times.

Deck 9 & 11 11:00 AM

Deck 8 12:00 PM

Deck 7 12:30 PM

Deck 6 1:00 PM

Deck 3 2:00 PM

Deck 2 3:00 PM

Suite Guests and our Captain Club Members can check-in and board anytime at their convenience between the hours of 11:00 AM and 3:30 PM. This also applies for any guests who have purchased Flights and/or Transfers through Celebrity Cruises International.

Edited by MisterBill99

City terminal has always had restricted times.

On all the trips we have done they rarely open security before 11:00 and that filters through to check in and then to the waiting area for boarding around 12:00 with suites/priority first. they then start feeding those waiting in batches to the ship.

If there is reduced seating they will need to limit the throughput to closer to the ship being able to take pax without waiting, the main bottleneck at city is security.

if they have communication with the transfer coaches they can manage there arrival times often they arrive at similar times as most overnight flight from the US arrive in the mornings, perhaps add a small tour.

In a word...hogwash. Both RCCL and Celebrity have communicated these restricted boarding times on and off both in the US and Europe now for several years. Nonetheless, they have offered their own transfers, accommodated bus chater transfer groups and other multiple party transfers with pax from all decks without delay. Just arrive at a time that is convenient for you...just not 10 AM and I am sure you will be accommodated.

The last 2 times I sailed from Southampton (not with celebrity though), they tried these staggered boardings. I just arrived early as usual, the terminals were never that busy but I was prepared to wait if they were.

Southampton terminal isn't that big and I think they just try to pre-empt any crowds by spreading it out a bit but they won't turn you away.

We're sailing May 10th on Eclipse out of southampton. Staying at the holiday inn (just outside) the night before where I imagine we'll need to check-out by 11.00am. The hotel package includes taxi transfers. Our allocated boarding time is 3.00pm so hope this isn't enforced. :eek:

It's our first time cruising but was led to believe the embarkation scrum at the lunch time buffet was sort of traditional. If that's so, why should those in the lower decks be discriminated? :confused:

We're sailing May 10th on Eclipse out of southampton. Staying at the holiday inn (just outside) the night before where I imagine we'll need to check-out by 11.00am. The hotel package includes taxi transfers. Our allocated boarding time is 3.00pm so hope this isn't enforced. :eek:

It's our first time cruising but was led to believe the embarkation scrum at the lunch time buffet was sort of traditional. If that's so, why should those in the lower decks be discriminated? :confused:

If you want to avoid the scrum...go to the bistro on 5 for lunch where you will find no crowding and have a very nice lunch for $5 a person. It's one of the celebrity "secrets" for boarding day.

It says Captain's Club members may board at any time.

And the Celebrity website says: Captain's Club Enrollment

Your Celebrity Cruises Captain's Club is a richly rewarding recognition program that's centered on one thing - making you the center of our attention. You'll quickly discover that the more you sail, the more rewarding your experience becomes. To access your members-only pages and exclusive offers, log in is required.

Haven't sailed with us yet? You can still enroll.

As a Preview Member, you'll receive our Captain's Club Newsletter to get an insider's look at everything new with Celebrity. You'll also have access to the private Captain’s Club area of our website where you’ll learn about our program.

Then, once you've enjoyed a Celebrity vacation, you'll be upgraded to a Classic member and be eligible for exclusive member offers, onboard benefits, and special events.

So one might be able to argue (with an innocent look on your face) that you enrolled in Captain's Club and thought that you were included.

Celebrity may mean Captain's Club Classic and above - but they aren't explicit about it, and they are encouraging Preview members to join the Captain's Club, then everyone should be included.

Southampton has some very photogenic places near the port, so if you are interested in photography, you might drop your luggage and walk around.

Beth

If you want to avoid the scrum...go to the bistro on 5 for lunch where you will find no crowding and have a very nice lunch for $5 a person. It's one of the celebrity "secrets" for boarding day.

Now you let it out LOL

This is no secret, the number of times I've heard this advice. Anyway, as I said, I was led to believe the lunch buffet was traditional! ;);)