Luggage Help

Groovey

Since DW has some mobility issues, I thought that a spinner suitcase would be easier for her to navigate entering/leaving airports. Basically, we're looking for a 26-30" case. I also interested in a hardside case if I can find a quality model with spinner wheels. Trying to research luggage, is a mind boggling process!! Any of you folks have a brand/model that you could suggest for our situation??

I've traveled extensively over the years for both business and pleasure. I've bought really expensive luggage and I've bought really cheap luggage. What I've learned the airlines really beat it up, no matter how much you paid for it. Now that I don't travel very much for business, I've started buying cheap luggage and almost consider it disposable after a few trips.

I needed to replace a larger checked luggage bag for our cruise in a couple of weeks and I bought a no-name, softside, 26" spinner at Burlington Coat Factory for $89. Even if it only lasts two or three vacations, I''ll still consider it a good value.

Edited by 1313steve

We've been pleased with Samsonite spinners. You are correct that they are so much easier to handle than any other wheeled suitcase.

The Samsonite are a good combination of decent quality at a reasonable price. We don't like to invest too much in luggage since it will get beaten around by airport and cruise ship luggage handlers. If you have a Kohl's in your area, they often have good sales. Also, Costco has a nice set that we're using now:

http://www.costco.com/Samsonite-2-Piece-Dual-360-Expandable-Spinner-Set%3a-21%22-%2526-27%22.product.100080023.html

I like the 27" as a checked bag because I can keep it under the 50 pound limit.

I'm in agreement with Steve1313, but I wouldn't purchase hard sided cases, especially for check in purposes. I've seen too many that show up on the conveyor belt with cracks or sides busted off.

I'll stick with my softsides, but will get a four wheeled spinner next time.

I have a Samsonite spinner and I find it does well on tile and hardwood floors but I stlll have trouble on carpeted floors at the hotels. but I think most spinners don't do well on plush carpets

A word of caution: make sure that any luggage you purchase meets the airline size requirements. I've seen that some 30" cases are too large by airline standards and will incur an extra charge.

I'm disabled and have found that neither hard side nor soft side wheelies make a difference for me. It's all in the weight. Some hard side bags are a lot heavier than the soft side ones, but I will say that the lightest ones I've tested as recently as last month were the hard side wheelies by Tumi, the Tegra Lite series. Yes, I know they're expensive, but I have a couple of Tumi bags that I've had for 20 years and they have survived trips all over the world, and at least 25 trips where I shipped them both domestically and internationally, and they're both in good shape, despite very poor handling by UPS and DHL. I cannot say the same about the cheaper brands that I've also used.

I too have travelled for business worldwide. Today, retired I choose the lightest I can find with sturdy frames. We need to maximize our weight budget for 3-4 week trip vacations. There are many options, so go for the lightest cases that have full single piece frames around the edge of the luggage. Look inside the zippered inner linings and look at the frame. If it looks cheap it is. I am having good luck with Delsey Heliums, but there are many comparable makes. One comment on all trolley wheels. Make sure they are solid, in line skate types, and not molded multi layer rubber over plastic. On a trip to Zurich we had the max 50 lbs in the luggage and hung on an additional 30 lb carry on. Only the wheels complained. IN essence they got a flat tire. The rubber "tire" peeled off and the wheel turned on its plastic rim. What a racket and pain to pull. That was on a travelpro which supposedly was the choice of airline folks. ( Maybe a long time ago)

By the way I buy all my luggage on line through one of the internet baggae sellers

I, personally, wouldn't get anything larger than 27" as the airlines are getting even more stringent on 50 lb max. Also, if there is a mobility issue you don't want a case that's really heavy. I love Tumi; however, after having one literally destroyed in San Juan I've gone to Samsonsite ultra lights or Delsy ultra light, don't want an expensive case destroyed again (even tho AA replaced it). Make sure whatever you get has 4 wheels that go 360 (they do better on carpet). Excellent buys at Marshall's, Ross & TJ Maxx as well as Kohls, no need to break the bank. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Swissgear 25 inch Spinner...I love it:)....My carry on bag

is a 20 inch size made by Olympia and it works well for me too:)

Love the 4 wheels:D