Time required for Southampton disembarkation

Our ship is scheduled to arrive at City Cruise Terminal at 0530 after a transatlantic cruise and we are to be met our English relatives who have graciously offered both transportation and hospitality.

Can someone advise as to an appropriate meeting time (ie 0900, 0930, etc) to minimize the waiting by either party, allowing us to clear customs and them to make the approximate two hour drive to the port?

Thanks & regards

You could certainly tell them 9:30 or 10am, and be one of the last people off the ship.

I agree, that's about the mark.

The last disembarkation slot (usually around 9.30) may be over-subscribed so probably aim for a 9am slot, which puts you outside the terminal about 9.30.

JB :)

The last disembarkation slot (usually around 9.30) may be over-subscribed so probably aim for a 9am slot, which puts you outside the terminal about 9.30.

Just had a thought, if you dont get the last slot and cannot switch to it, surely if you left during the last disembarkation then they wont stop you getting off as they need you off. Also the luggage will be easier to spot since most other passengers would have removed those from your luggage zone.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just had a thought, if you dont get the last slot and cannot switch to it, surely if you left during the last disembarkation then they wont stop you getting off as they need you off. Also the luggage will be easier to spot since most other passengers would have removed those from your luggage zone.

Yes, it's perfectly possible that the announcement for the 9am slot was made while the OP was in the bathroom ;)

Thanks for the responses - I plan to suggest to my UK cousins to set the time they would prefer to pick us up and then disembark, if possible, approximately 30 minutes before that time, as 30 minutes seems to be the suggested time between leaving the ship and weaving through baggage and customs.

Regards

Thanks for the responses - I plan to suggest to my UK cousins to set the time they would prefer to pick us up and then disembark, if possible, approximately 30 minutes before that time, as 30 minutes seems to be the suggested time between leaving the ship and weaving through baggage and customs.

Regards

The later the disembarkation the more difficult it is to guesstimate how long to disembark - slow earlier lines can have a knock-on effect. The baggage area can be a bit of a melee, then immigration is usually the bottleneck, but you'll not even have to break stride through customs unless your collar is felt.

Yes, 30 minutes is about the median though it could be 15, could be 45.

The later the disembarkation the more difficult it is to guesstimate how long to disembark - slow earlier lines can have a knock-on effect. The baggage area can be a bit of a melee, then immigration is usually the bottleneck, but you'll not even have to break stride through customs unless your collar is felt.

Yes, 30 minutes is about the median though it could be 15, could be 45.

Immigration? Never seen an immigration officer at Southampton as ships get bulk clearance. I dont even recall a place for immigration checks even if they wanted to attend.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also asking a friend to meet me at Southampton after the TA on the Independence in May. So is it better to ask for an earlier time? I also suggested 9 - 9:30.