Surprising DW and kids with a suite - need ideas

Has anyone ever surprised their family with a suite and managed to make it all the way to the stateroom before they find out? We've surprised the kids in various fashion before, but DW has always known what we were doing. This time I want to totally floor her when she walks in the room. I've told her that all 4 of us are staying in a tiny balcony cabin.

Obviously we get VIP check-in, so that would tip her off right away. We'll also have the priority luggage tags which I'm sure she'll notice. Even if I somehow hid the luggage tags from her and we went through the normal line, the conversation with the agent would likely spill the beans as I explain why I wasn't in the VIP line.

My current thought is to tell DW that Royal has launched their own pre-purchased expedited package for non-suite guests. Similar to FTTF (Faster to the Fun) that Carnival launched last year. If she buys that excuse, that could explain the luggage tags and VIP check-in. Then I just need to figure out how to not tip her off during the conversation with the check-in agent.

Would appreciate any thoughts! If it matters, we're sailing on the Legend out of Port Everglades in December.

Thanks!

Does she like surprises or will the anticipation of knowing she has the suite be a better treat for her?

We’ve never tried a surprise upgrade so I am not much help for you.

Enjoy your planning

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

WHAT A GREAT SURPRISE FOR YOUR FAMILY!!!

I did try to do this when DH and I did a cruise on Oasis... we had booked a Central Park balcony cabin, but I 'upgraded' to a suite guarantee without him knowing. When I got our assignment, we were given a Crown Loft Suite... YES, it was the best score EVER!!! My plan was to not tell him until we walked into the room... however, the 2 nights before we left, I couldn't sleep because I was just busting at the seams - so at 3:00 AM I woke him from his sound sleep to tell him. He didn't know what the heck I was babbling about, but at least I told him. The next morning, I found him looking up what a Crown Loft Suite was and his eyes went to saucers. He was SO excited!

Anyway, as it turned out, I was glad I had told him because the agent at the counter at VIP check-in says... "OH, a Crown Loft, you will have one of the most amazing rooms on the ship. You are going to love it!" DH wouldn't ever have missed that comment.

However, in thinking back... I do have a suggestion to help you with the agent making any comment about the room... Perhaps, when you give them the paperwork you can slip a sticky-note on top that says, "My family doesn't know we are in a suite - please don't say anything that will spoil the surprise." I think that they will give you a smile and not say anything.

I really hope that it all goes well for you. Your family will just love the upgrade and if you can pull off the surprise of it, it will be very exciting for all of you.

Happy cruising!

Has anyone ever surprised their family with a suite and managed to make it all the way to the stateroom before they find out? We've surprised the kids in various fashion before, but DW has always known what we were doing. This time I want to totally floor her when she walks in the room. I've told her that all 4 of us are staying in a tiny balcony cabin.

Obviously we get VIP check-in, so that would tip her off right away. We'll also have the priority luggage tags which I'm sure she'll notice. Even if I somehow hid the luggage tags from her and we went through the normal line, the conversation with the agent would likely spill the beans as I explain why I wasn't in the VIP line.

My current thought is to tell DW that Royal has launched their own pre-purchased expedited package for non-suite guests. Similar to FTTF (Faster to the Fun) that Carnival launched last year. If she buys that excuse, that could explain the luggage tags and VIP check-in. Then I just need to figure out how to not tip her off during the conversation with the check-in agent.

Would appreciate any thoughts! If it matters, we're sailing on the Legend out of Port Everglades in December.

Thanks!

If you are in GS or higher, you will get Gold Sea passes, which say SUITE on them, so that might also give it away. :). So, you might want to just walk up to the VIP line and when she says, "this is the wrong line", you reply "not for us this trip"

Does she like surprises or will the anticipation of knowing she has the suite be a better treat for her?

We’ve never tried a surprise upgrade so I am not much help for you.

Enjoy your planning

M

She likes surprises like this for sure. She'll definitely enjoy the surprise more than the anticipation.

She does see the credit card statements but I can work around that pretty easily by just paying it off a little at a time over the months. That part doesn't concern me at all. Thanks for your thoughts!

WHAT A GREAT SURPRISE FOR YOUR FAMILY!!!

I did try to do this when DH and I did a cruise on Oasis... we had booked a Central Park balcony cabin, but I 'upgraded' to a suite guarantee without him knowing. When I got our assignment, we were given a Crown Loft Suite... YES, it was the best score EVER!!! My plan was to not tell him until we walked into the room... however, the 2 nights before we left, I couldn't sleep because I was just busting at the seams - so at 3:00 AM I woke him from his sound sleep to tell him. He didn't know what the heck I was babbling about, but at least I told him. The next morning, I found him looking up what a Crown Loft Suite was and his eyes went to saucers. He was SO excited!

Anyway, as it turned out, I was glad I had told him because the agent at the counter at VIP check-in says... "OH, a Crown Loft, you will have one of the most amazing rooms on the ship. You are going to love it!" DH wouldn't ever have missed that comment.

However, in thinking back... I do have a suggestion to help you with the agent making any comment about the room... Perhaps, when you give them the paperwork you can slip a sticky-note on top that says, "My family doesn't know we are in a suite - please don't say anything that will spoil the surprise." I think that they will give you a smile and not say anything.

I really hope that it all goes well for you. Your family will just love the upgrade and if you can pull off the surprise of it, it will be very exciting for all of you.

Happy cruising!

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing, but I was thinking a note on a piece of paper. I like your post-it idea MUCH better. :D

I literally laughed out loud reading your story about waking your husband up in the middle of the night to tell him. :) That's totally something my wife would do. In fact, that's very similar to how she told me she was pregnant with our first child.

I bet the Crown Loft suite was amazing! That's awesome that you got it on a suite guarantee!

If you are in GS or higher, you will get Gold Sea passes, which say SUITE on them, so that might also give it away. :). So, you might want to just walk up to the VIP line and when she says, "this is the wrong line", you reply "not for us this trip"

Yeah... the gold seapass cards ARE a dead-giveaway.... I like this idea.

Hmm... that's good to know. This is where the craziness with the kids might help. She'll be so wrapped up in dealing with the baby (I guess he'll be a toddler by then) that she might not read her key card or pay much attention to it. I can probably also get away with holding onto all the key cards until right before she needs it to get on the ship. I know... a lot of "mights" and "maybes" here. :) Maybe I just take it as far as I can, and if she gets wise with the keycards I'll just smile and say "surprise!". :-)

Yeah... the gold seapass cards ARE a dead-giveaway.... I like this idea.

Well I guess I've never seen these gold ones with RCCL, but I don't know that she'd be too tipped off. We get gold key cards with Carnival because we are gold level with them, she'd probably just assume the same for this. But I've never seen these so maybe they pop a bit more and are more obvious.

Well I guess I've never seen these gold ones with RCCL, but I don't know that she'd be too tipped off. We get gold key cards with Carnival because we are gold level with them, she'd probably just assume the same for this. But I've never seen these so maybe they pop a bit more and are more obvious.

They do exist for Grand Suites and above. With over 15 cruises under our belt we only had a gold card one time:( . Oh the sweet memories of that one time :) .

Congratulations, I wish my DH would do that for me:D

If the post it note doesn't quite come off and she starts to realize what's going on and starts to ask questions I'd smile sweetly and say something like "must be getting forgetful, I thought I mentioned I changed the cabin for a better location"

You have to have the plan in place because if she knows the cabin number booked originally she's going to be wondering where on earth you are going when you lead the way to the cabin.

Keeping the cards by saying something like "I'll keep the cards in my pocket seeing as you have your hands full with the kids" would prob work

Also try to get a check in desk that's right between other people so she can't get too close to the counter and hatch a plan to divert her attention as you check in either with the kids or accidentally/intentionally leave something you need like your passports or wallet in her purse.

That you'd probably get away with - my DH always puts his wallet / watch etc in my purse whilst we go through security to speed up things.

Just some ideas

Good luck;)

Hmm... that's good to know. This is where the craziness with the kids might help. She'll be so wrapped up in dealing with the baby (I guess he'll be a toddler by then) that she might not read her key card or pay much attention to it. I can probably also get away with holding onto all the key cards until right before she needs it to get on the ship. I know... a lot of "mights" and "maybes" here. :) Maybe I just take it as far as I can, and if she gets wise with the keycards I'll just smile and say "surprise!". :-)

Ah, with the kids along, you might be able slip the passes by her. Also, if she asks about the VIP line, just tell her that when you spoke to the RCI rep, he said families traveling with small children can use the VIP line if it's not crowded (this is not true, but may help you to hide the truth a bit longer).

PS: your wife is going to love the location of the OS for the nursery and AO! You have very short walk to elevator or stairs, and it's up two floors. Also my wife was constantly running up to WJ for milk or cookies or other snack for our son, and that's just above you. Enjoy!

I just checked my one and only Gold Sea Pass card and no where on it does it say Suite. It looks just like the regular cards and has our C&A level at the bottom. You could easily say they must have changed the card color or something like that.

Have fun!!! :)

Congratulations, I wish my DH would do that for me:D

If the post it note doesn't quite come off and she starts to realize what's going on and starts to ask questions I'd smile sweetly and say something like "must be getting forgetful, I thought I mentioned I changed the cabin for a better location"

You have to have the plan in place because if she knows the cabin number booked originally she's going to be wondering where on earth you are going when you lead the way to the cabin.

Keeping the cards by saying something like "I'll keep the cards in my pocket seeing as you have your hands full with the kids" would prob work

Also try to get a check in desk that's right between other people so she can't get too close to the counter and hatch a plan to divert her attention as you check in either with the kids or accidentally/intentionally leave something you need like your passports or wallet in her purse.

That you'd probably get away with - my DH always puts his wallet / watch etc in my purse whilst we go through security to speed up things.

Just some ideas

Good luck;)

Those are some good ideas, thanks! :D I think if I leave her back a bit with the kids, then they'd only need to come up to get their pictures taken. That combined with the post-it note might just be enough to keep the secret. She'll probably see the cards. I usually hold onto them until we're getting on the ship, and then pass them out and everyone hands their card to the security officer. But I really think I can play off the gold card as us just being gold members. This is only our second RCCL cruise, so she won't know any different.

Ah, with the kids along, you might be able slip the passes by her. Also, if she asks about the VIP line, just tell her that when you spoke to the RCI rep, he said families traveling with small children can use the VIP line if it's not crowded (this is not true, but may help you to hide the truth a bit longer).

PS: your wife is going to love the location of the OS for the nursery and AO! You have very short walk to elevator or stairs, and it's up two floors. Also my wife was constantly running up to WJ for milk or cookies or other snack for our son, and that's just above you. Enjoy!

That's a great idea about the families with small children in the VIP line! That actually happened to us on Carnival last August. We were ushered into the VIP line because we had DS in the stroller. We had a suite anyway so it didn't matter, but the other family behind us with a baby sure benefited from it. :D

I'll have to be careful and not tell her that until we get right to that line though, otherwise I'm sure she'll meet three other families with babies in the hotel and tell them all about this special perk. :rolleyes:

Location does seem great for access to the kids club, nursery, and windjammer. That was a large factor in my decision to pull the trigger on it.

Thanks for the tips!

I just checked my one and only Gold Sea Pass card and no where on it does it say Suite. It looks just like the regular cards and has our C&A level at the bottom. You could easily say they must have changed the card color or something like that.

That's great news! :D

I am doing the same. But I always handle hotel check ins, cruise check ins, etc. my husband will be handling our carry ons so I have the cabin keys. ;). I was able to book a RFS for just the four of us. Looking forward to this cruise.

Best of luck to you in your surprise! I would have booked the RFS if it was available... those suites look amazing. Hope you have a great cruise!

I just rechecked ours and I was wrong - I thought they said suite on them, but they don't. One less thing to worry about :)

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Here is a plan of action I would consider if I were surprising someone with a suite.

1. See if you can get a limo to take you to the cruise port.

2. Have your kids stay in the Limo while you get out with your bags.

3. Ask the Porter to hand your kids a letter stating how you have been downgraded to two Oceanview cabins. Tell them there was some financial issues that came up and you could not afford the additional cost for the Balcony Cabin.

4. Go to the checkin line like normal. See if you can go up to the agent and have your Significant Other wait with the kids in the Platinum Line like normal.

5. Call up your SO on his/her cellphone and say that you need to go to the "Suite Line" use a codeword that you made up so your kids won't even know.

6. Take your kids to the Suite Line and when they get the Gold Cards and they ask about it. Tell your kids it's just so they can get Beverages. Tell them that Royal has changed their SeaPass Cards.

7. Everyone boards like normal and you go to Lunch. About 1:30 when the staterooms open up tell your kids and Significant Other that you have to check on our dinner reservations. In reality you are going to wait at the entrance of the Suite but don't go in.

8. About 10 minutes after you have left is when your kids and SO will come. Ask one of your kids to try their Gold Card. When they see the suite tell them surprise we have a Suite(:

Hope this works in your situation.