Do you participate in the Sailaway threads? Why or why not?

CowPrincess

I've watched since the beginning of the sailaway threads...as long as I'm around...and enjoy the fellowship of other "addicts". Although, I have to agree, the "play by play reporting" is a big much sometimes. I missed today because we were in Boston all day, but will probably be here tomorrow.

Marco's Tia...I see that you're new on CC...join in...you might enjoy it.

I did take a look today. It was fun.:) Everyone was so good at telling me what to do (I mean that in the nicest way!). And I now have the webcams bookmarked.

Edited by Marco's Tia

You betch ya, have from the beginning and really enjoy participating in same. Got DH into it too. Probably am one of those people who make comments that Ruth, Innlady and Chief don't care for but without some of those comments you might not have much interaction on the thread.

Your right on. The thread is live and there is no way there won't be duplicate post and all post are with good intentions or you can watch alone.

It's old school. You have to type to communicate.

You betch ya, have from the beginning and really enjoy participating in same. Got DH into it too. Probably am one of those people who make comments that Ruth, Innlady and Chief don't care for but without some of those comments you might not have much interaction on the thread.

Melodie - I honestly don't think those were aimed at you.

You don't do the 'play by play'. an occasional comment is a horse of a different colour - no worries at all - We always like to hear you :)

Melodie - I honestly don't think those were aimed at you.

You don't do the 'play by play'. an occasional comment is a horse of a different colour - no worries at all - We always like to hear you :)

Oh Kazu, I don't think those comments are aimed at me directly but I willing to admit I am one that does some 'play by plays" (yes I do) and feel I am in good company, as there are lots of us on the 'sailaway' thread guilty of the same.:)

The comments are opinions. We all have them. At the end of the day we are going to have another great time at Sail-Away tomorrow.

Bottom line is; if it brings some fun/joy into one's life than go for it.

Just some folks gathering who have a passion for cruising.

That is what CC is all about.;)

ITA. Wasn't here today and am too tired to read back all the posts. Did she do her "thing" today and blow everyone away once again?

Only the traditional 3 honks heading into the channel. 'Taint what it used to be. One of the Princess ships does a good job, but she typically sails on days without HAL ships in port.

Not at all sure that I can agree with the negative "play by play" comments that are reported on the sailaway threads.

Yes, if the web site and one's computer connection is working as it should, the sailing of the vessels should be obvious. But, the cyperspace world is not perfect.

I do appreciate knowing when I need to refresh the web cam. And, I really am of the opinion that neither the operators of the web cam for the ports nor Cruise Critic have sites that are as "perfect" as they may really want them to be.

I have thought for some time that issues that I was having really have turned out to be not my issues, but the issues that they[/u ] were having.

What they need is a Twitter stream in a sidebar on the webcam site. People could tweet & watch at the same time. (Maybe once this Internet thing catches on.... ;))

What they need is a Twitter stream in a sidebar on the webcam site. People could tweet & watch at the same time. (Maybe once this Internet thing catches on.... ;))

I seem to remember something like that when they first started the webcam........unless it was on something else.......it's awhile ago...

There is a twitter feed at the bottom to the right of the port maps. Looks like Lou and Dave do most of the tweeting but there are others there. There are tweets about all the port cams - I think the twitter feed is the same on each webcam site but I haven't really researched that since I don't tweet.

I lurk on the sail away threads and occasionally post and I do enjoy the camaraderie even if I don't often contribute.

I think that might be Captain John Scott...he was the captain on our early Noordam cruises. A very reserved fellow from down under (but very nice, nonetheless!)...so that could be why he's a bit restrained with the tooting.

You are quite correct about Capt. Scott being "reserved" (a nice way of saying it). We sailed with him numerous times on the Noordam. While he appears to be an excellent ship's Captain, an outgoing personality is not his strong suit.

I figured that when he took over on the Westerdam that the horn display would cease, and that is generally what I have found.

Melodie, it was definitely not aimed at you...I always enjoy your posts.

I watch sometimes when I am around when they sail. I can't say I watch every time. I don't comment much because the few times I asked a question, I got no answer because everybody is busy watching and commenting on what interests them. It's fun to just watch and hear the horns!

Good to know...I will try to pay more attention if you have questions! Trouble is the pages scroll by with everyone making just about the same comments...me included. :eek:

I participated for the first time yesterday, and it was fun. I didn't notice any play-by-play comments, just a nice conversation going on.

I enjoy watching when I have nothing else to do, but being on West Coast time I am often too late. Usually don't join in on the comments as I would have to bounce back and forth between the "tabs" to watch the sail away and comment, but I will at times go back and view the posts later.

I haven't been watching the sail-aways as much as I used to, mostly because they start at 2 pm for me and I'm often doing something else. When I do watch, I almost always have the sail away thread open to follow along with the "chatter".

I don't participate in the thread because usually someone has already stated what I was going to say! It drives me a little nuts when someone repeats something already said on a thread, so try not to do it myself, unless I have another point or perspective to add.

But I do find the sail-away threads enjoyable and do learn something new, particularly when Copper joins in!

I should add that as I'm still working, I only watch on the weekends, when I do watch. I'd be fired in an instant if ships were tooting in the office!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

..........have not participated in the Sail Aways in months now. For me they are not fun anymore:(

Joanie

The only way it can't be fun is if you're not on the ship that is leaving, LOL! I just visited once, it was definitely fun and everyone was very helpful - but it's what we make of it, surely? I will come back again.

I only get a chance to drop in and out because in our time zone the sailaways fall over supper hour.

However, there is a Maasdam sailing on Friday that I won't miss. I think I might recognise a balcony full of people. ;). Great fun. :D