Caribbean Princess unable to leave port today :(

mjrich73

The oil spill is turning out to be a major environmental disaster for the Houston/Galveston area. This is the largest oil spill in the history of Galveston Bay. Luckily no one was seriously injured during the ship/barge collision but the impact to wildlife and the economy will be substantial. This comes at a very bad time when hundreds of migratory birds are arriving in the area. The Audubon Bolivar Flats Shorebird Sanctuary is right on the path of the spill and is reporting damage already. The evening news showed substantial amounts of oil on beaches and birds. In addition thousands of people depend on the bay for their income, from fishing vessels to local industry. The refineries along the upper channel handle about 12% of the oil consumed in the US and at the moment no oil is arriving by ship. One large refinery announced a cut in production today due to limited crude supplies with more expected unless the channel reopens. While I can understand the frustration of cruise passengers stranded onshore a real tragedy is occurring around them. I would like to suggest that we focus our energies on that and say a prayer for the people and wildlife truly impacted by this disaster.

From the Houston Chronicle as of Monday 7:29 pm CDT:

“The Houston Ship Channel, where up to 168,000 gallons of oil was spilled after a barge and a tanker collided last weekend, will remain closed until Tuesday, Coast Guard officials said late Monday. Officials said they will evaluate on Tuesday whether to open the channel.” “As of 6 a.m. Monday, the command said in a statement, 43 outbound vessels and 38 inbound vessels were waiting for the channel to be reopened.”

Additional details here:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Ship-Channel-remains-closed-after-oil-spill-5342986.php?cmpid=bna

You are so correct. This is a disaster for Galveston Bay and Bolivar. Fishermen, bait shops, the bird sanctuary with thousands of migrating birds at present, the shoreline, already seeing images of huge gobs of slimy oil and tar along the beaches. This will be another huge hit to a still rebuilding economy on Bolivar since Ike. Just awful. The folks on the Caribbean Princess are having virtually a free vacation, although not as planned, but the region has taken a real hit.

I'm sorry for all the people being affected by this incident. I hope Texas recovers from this horrific environmental disaster and I feel deeply for those whose long-awaited vacations are being adversely affected. While the environmental and financial (to Texas' economy) aspects of this disaster are of course of prominent importance...it is also very sad for those passengers whose vacations are being ruined. There are newlyweds that are having their honeymoon ruined, not to mention people that have saved for months and in some cases years for their cruises. What is also a bummer is that there may be upcoming cruisers whose cruises may be adversely affected. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of them. It's just a disaster all the way around for way too many people...not just the cruisers and not to mention the birds and animals.:(

Edited by mousey

I know you probably mean the Caribbean Princess but the "CP" is the Sea Princess. The official Princess 2-letter abbreviation for the Caribbean Princess is "CB." :)

FYI, I was reading John Heald's post about the Carnival ships on FB and they are further delayed. They are being required to clean the hulls of the ships and won't finish until tomorrow. Also, the oil spill is huge and apparently blocking access to the Gulf of Mexico. Carnival is offering pretty much the same as Princess.

Isn't the CP the Coral?

Posted by Colo Cruiser in 2006:

The official designators are:-

CB - Caribbean Princess

CO - Coral Princess

CP - Sea Princess

KP- Crown Princess

DI - Diamond Princess

NP - Golden Princess

AP - Grand Princess

SA - Sapphire Princess

TP - Star Princess

DP - Dawn Princess

IP - Island Princess

SP - Sun Princess

PA - Pacific Princess

GP - Regal Princess

RP - Royal Princess

TA - Tahitian Princess

CB - Caribbean Princess

CO - Coral Princess

CP - Sea Princess

KP- Crown Princess

DI - Diamond Princess

NP - Golden Princess

AP - Grand Princess

SA - Sapphire Princess

TP - Star Princess

DP - Dawn Princess

IP - Island Princess

SP - Sun Princess

PA - Pacific Princess

GP - Regal Princess

RP - Royal Princess

TA - Tahitian Princess

Are we THAT lazy that we can't make an effort to spell out the names of ships...??? I don't post 15 times a day every day like some of you and if someone wrote KP I'd imagine they were talking about peeling potatoes in the army. Now I have to print this out and nail it to my wall...:confused:

And while on the subject, I'd like to offer a new acronym for the Royal and Regal: BS1 and BS2.

BS of course standing for Big Ship. What did you think I meant...??

Ok I have to ask this again, but do you think that Princess would consider canceling the 3/29 cruise?

They are still trying to get our cruise out of port sometime this week, so I don't think the next cruise is at too much risk.

I think those are the designated ship codes, not just a lazy shorthand for the internet. Much like the 3 letter airport codes.
If you go to the Princess website and select Ships and then a specific ship, look at the URL. You'll see the 2-letter code there. They are not something people on CC have made up. FYI, the Coral is "CO."

If Princess follows through with 100% refund what will happen to the crew tip pool? Will the crew lose one weeks worth of tips or will Princess also pay them?

I have not seen this topic discussed as of yet.

Bob

I expect to still pay all of our onboard charges and gratuities. The crew is being fantastic, especially considering all of the passengers are onboard all day, everyday. I think they are busier than normal.

CB - Caribbean Princess

CO - Coral Princess

CP - Sea Princess

KP- Crown Princess

DI - Diamond Princess

NP - Golden Princess

AP - Grand Princess

SA - Sapphire Princess

TP - Star Princess

DP - Dawn Princess

IP - Island Princess

SP - Sun Princess

PA - Pacific Princess

GP - Regal Princess

RP - Royal Princess

TA - Tahitian Princess

Y

HAGD!

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

CCL stock is taking a big hit today. Down over 5% right now. Royal Caribbean is about where it closed yesterday and the general stock market is up a bit. Is the drop due to the situation in Texas? Who knows? Just sayin'. ;)

If Princess follows through with 100% refund what will happen to the crew tip pool? Will the crew lose one weeks worth of tips or will Princess also pay them?

I have not seen this topic discussed as of yet.

Bob

This is a good point. I'm sure those staying on board will continue to tip, but what about those who selected to leave? The crew will be missing those tips. :(

Most people have stayed on board. After talking with a youth program crew member, I found out only about 10% got off. (Don't hold me to that... It's just a guess.)

We plan on paying our tips... The service is amazing, just like we have come to expect with Princess.

Captain just made an announcement that officials are checking the situation and may have more info for us in the next couple of hours. Passengers and crew are asked to stay on board so that we could ready the ship to sail in the event that the news is good.

It's sunny and I just took a short nap on the balcony. (Amazing what a little sun will do for your mood!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

CCL stock is taking a big hit today. Down over 5% right now. Royal Caribbean is about where it closed yesterday and the general stock market is up a bit. Is the drop due to the situation in Texas? Who knows? Just sayin'. ;)

I was thinking the same thing as I check CCL stock price every day. May be a good time to buy for folks who have considered this, as the perks are quite good if you own 100 shares (on all Carnival Corp. lines).

Edited by Donder1

CCL has higher exposure, with three ships in the area that could be affected for a longer time as opposed to RCCLs one.

Thatappears to be the case, at least from what i am seeing here and on facebook.

The ship is still in port, main channel is closed due to oil spread at last report.

With all the changes, I am confused. What was the last offer. Did they reinstate the original 100% + 25% FCC?

Typically the line makes them whole, although this situation is unusual with the pax staying on board. I suspect they will get a small bonus, but have no way of knowing for sure.

This is a good point. I'm sure those staying on board will continue to tip, but what about those who selected to leave? The crew will be missing those tips. :(

last news I saw on channel is barge traffic can use channel. Ships still on hold, but that may change later today.

Hopefully the ship can at least go circle the Gulf for a few days. I suppose high speed run to Cozumel and back is an option if they sail today.

The stock price has been affected by lower projected earnings for the next quarter and the year even though the most recent quarter's earnings came in higher than expected (essentially $.00/share comapred to the analysts expecting a loss of -$.08/share).

The spill in the Galveston Ship Channel is expected to have a $.01/share affect on earnings if the channel opens this week. Must of that is expected to be recovered later this year from insurance and those responsible for the spill. (Source: today's earnings conference with stock analysts)

I got of the Caribbean Princess yesterday and yes the tip pool is decreased. I made a point of tipping extra to my room steward to more than cover any of his losses. I did fail to tip the wait staff and for that I'm very sorry.

As a note it sure didn't look like that many got off the ship . We disembarked at 11am and none of the taxi , security or police even knew what the problem was.

Even only after two days being onboard it truly was not a fun experiance to sit in a cold windy port without any garentee of leaving port. Although Princess Staff and crew were doing their best to take care of all the needs of the passengers. I feel sorry as this is not Princess fault.

It's just not the same being on a cruise ship if it is not moving.