Flying in to Melbourne, taking the train to Sydney

4774Papa

Our last (and first) trip to Australia, we spend five days in Sydney after our cruise.

On our next trip, we want to see Melbourne and spend a few days there. I found that there is a train between Melbourne and Sydney. Has anyone done this train.

Should we go first class? Is there a stop in Canberra? If so, it that city worth a stop?

I've been on it. It's more a functional trip, although I prefer overnights so not much is seen then.

First class is only slightly better seating e.g. a little more tilt and space, and as with trains often a better standard of traveller ;-)

It doesn't go via Canberra. Although there are trains to Canberra they involve a bus trip from the outskirts - it's not a through service. Canberra's a nice enough place to visit, with museums and interesting landmarks but usually isn't a primary focus for tourists.

I've been on it. It's more a functional trip, although I prefer overnights so not much is seen then.

First class is only slightly better seating e.g. a little more tilt and space, and as with trains often a better standard of traveller ;-)

It doesn't go via Canberra. Although there are trains to Canberra they involve a bus trip from the outskirts - it's not a through service. Canberra's a nice enough place to visit, with museums and interesting landmarks but usually isn't a primary focus for tourists.

Thanks, I thought taking the train in the daytime, that we could see some of the countryside. If we did a night train, I suppose they have sleepers?

...Although there are trains to Canberra they involve a bus trip from the outskirts - it's not a through service. Canberra's a nice enough place to visit, with museums and interesting landmarks but usually isn't a primary focus for tourists.

We think that Canberra is often under-appreciated. It is, we think, an excellent destination for at least some overseas tourists -- especially those interested in history, government, the arts, and spending some time in a medium-sized and less hectic city. The museums and galleries are excellent, and there are attractive outdoor areas for hiking, bird-watching, etc. We have spent a few days in Canberra on three different trips, and I expect we will be back in future.

John

Thanks, I thought taking the train in the daytime, that we could see some of the countryside. If we did a night train, I suppose they have sleepers?

You are right. The daytime train lets you see the Australian countryside, arriving in Sydney about 2000 hrs. Animal life is mainly sheep and more sheep, with the occasional bird life.;) Sleepers only on the night train.

It's an ongoing frustration that the Australian interstate rail network/service is so under resourced as the vast majority of people prefer to fly the often large distances involved. The Melbn-Sydney train is adequate but it's not a "luxury" experience in First Class and it's slow - several hours - so allow plenty of time.

I'm not warning you not to do it, just be realistic in your expectations.

It's an ongoing frustration that the Australian interstate rail network/service is so under resourced as the vast majority of people prefer to fly the often large distances involved. The Melbn-Sydney train is adequate but it's not a "luxury" experience in First Class and it's slow - several hours - so allow plenty of time.

I'm not warning you not to do it, just be realistic in your expectations.

Thanks, it sounds like Amtrak.

Have you looked into taking a bus from Melbourne to Canberra? You would see a lot more , as I imagine it would go via many of the small towns. You could then overnight in Canberra, have a day of sightseeing there and then its just a short run to Sydney.

We think that Canberra is often under-appreciated. It is, we think, an excellent destination for at least some overseas tourists -- especially those interested in history, government, the arts, and spending some time in a medium-sized and less hectic city. The museums and galleries are excellent, and there are attractive outdoor areas for hiking, bird-watching, etc. We have spent a few days in Canberra on three different trips, and I expect we will be back in future.

John

I totally agree with John's assessment of Canberra. We lived there for three years and thought it was a fabulous city--so much to see and do (and so much of it is free, too). We never lacked for weekend activities in Canberra.

Have you thought of hiring a car Airport to Airport? The road between Sydney and Melbourne is now all dual carriageway. Spend some time at small towns such as Holbrook, Gundagai, Yass, Goulburn and Canberra City.

Lots to see in Canberra such as the Australian War Memorial (at least 3-4 hrs), Old and New Parliament houses (3-4 hrs). National Art Gallery, Portrait Gallery, Archives, Royal Mint, Cockington Green miniature village, National Museum, etc

Hugh

Yes you can indeed do Sydney to Melbourne via Canberra in daylight but over 2 - 3 days . by train .

There is a daily daylight train Sydney to Melbourne departs Sydney Central 0732 arrives Melbourne Southern Cross 1830 . Whilst this train does not run via Canberra, the rail line to Melbourne runs very close to Canberra at a place called Yass Junction.

There is a road coach service that departs from Canberra (West Row Civic) each morning at 0937 arriving at Yass Junction at 1045 connecting with the Southbound Melbourne XPT at Yass Junction departing at 1120 for Melbourne each morning (arriving Melbourne - Southern Cross at 1830).

There are separate Countrylink trains between Sydney and Canberra which is on a branchline.

So do a daylight departure in the morning from Sydney Central on the Countrylink Xplorer to Canberra at 0704 will have you at Canberra Kingston rail station at 1122 . Spend a couple of days in Canberra then take the 0937 Coach from Canberra (West Row Civic ) over to Yass Junction and join the 1120 Melbourne bound daylight XPT arriving Melbourne Southern Cross at 1830. Allow 3 - 4 days in Melbourne a wonderful city of real class .

Train details and bookings on the nswtrainlink webite . Book the three legs Sydney Central to Canberra - Kingston, Canberra - West Row Civic to Yass Junction and Yass Junction to Melbourne as separate journeys . You can book and pre print your tickets on line .

Sorry having spent an hour digging out all this info just realized you were wanting to do it Northbound. Can be done Northbound as Daylight XPT Melbourne to Yass junction, then connecting coach over to Canberra (West Row Civic). Then finally train Canberra - Kingston to Sydney Central . Details and bookings again as 3 separate legs on nswtrainlink website (as a regional journey) .

Edited by kuldalai

On our next trip, we want to see Melbourne and spend a few days there. I found that there is a train between Melbourne and Sydney. Has anyone done this train.

Should we go first class? Is there a stop in Canberra? If so, it that city worth a stop?

The Melbn-Sydney train is adequate but it's not a "luxury" experience in First Class and it's slow - several hours - so allow plenty of time.
I wouldn't recommend the train to anyone who has any time constraints. The Melbourne-Sydney train is not just "several hours" - it's 11 hours each way. That's an entire day out of your trip if you take the day train - and, for that matter, it's an entire day that you could have spent visiting Canberra (which I agree should be visited at least once).

For an illustration of the contrast with flying, there are times of the day when Qantas alone has a flight departing Melbourne for Sydney every 15 minutes. If I'm in Sydney, I can fly to Melbourne for lunch and easily be back in Sydney in time for dinner.