Guaranty Cabin Stories- Good and Bad. Ready, set, go...

flarad

We recently booked a guaranty mini-suite cabin on the Epic for a June med sailing. I'm wondering if anyone can give me ideas and examples of the cabins they've gotten when booking a guaranty. Did it work for you? Was a disaster? DH is not too happy with not having a designated cabin but there were no minis available for booking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We only booked a guaranty one time, a cruise to Bermuda out of Boston. Our cabin was an obstructed porthole view, a week or two prior I saw we had been assigned an oceanview. I was happy, but got happier when we got a call offering us an upsell to a suite for only $200 for both of us. We took it, it was one of the new suites on the Dawn (12032), no balcony but huge and all the suite perks. It was amazing.

We have book multiple guaranty cabins on different ships and lines, the majority balcony, never have had a disappointment yet. Waiting for news on our mini suite at this moment. First cruise was a ocean view to balcony, smart move, we have been in a balcony since. This is our first wait for the mini. I am sure we will continue, until the day comes we are not happy, but cannot imagine that, since we are always happy and enjoy every adventure along the way.:)

In reality there should never be any disappointment in booking a guarantee.

You are rolling the dice and you should be aware of that. When paying a bit less you give up all choice in the matter.

If you are not happy with these risks don't book a guarantee.

We recently booked a guaranty mini-suite cabin on the Epic for a June med sailing. I'm wondering if anyone can give me ideas and examples of the cabins they've gotten when booking a guaranty. Did it work for you? Was a disaster? DH is not too happy with not having a designated cabin but there were no minis available for booking.

We've booked the lowest priced guarantee balcony a few times. Once we we had a small metal beam on the front left side of our balcony (not bad at all/didn't block our view of ocean; another time we had about a foot of a lifeboat sticking up by our feet...ugly, but still not horrid; on another ship we received a hull balcony/forward (those built into the ship itself)...no problem either (alot more motion in front of ship though).

On our last cruise we decided to pay more and pick a room near the middle/top of the ship...Really great, not having to wait for elevators when we went up and down to buffet, pool, etc...Just one flight of stairs!

I was told to check with a TA when booking a guarantee...If the lifeboats don't "stick out" from the ship and aren't totally blocking some balconies, it's not that risky. I wouldn't chance getting a lifeboat right in front of our balcony!

Barbara

Both times I booked a guarantee, once on Celebrity for a balcony and once on NCL for an ocean view, we had the most forward cabins. Couldn't use the balcony and felt a lot of movement in the ocean view. Never did it again. It is just luck and hope it works out for you.

We booked guarantee for our cruise next month. Anyone know approximately when I should expect a cabin assignment?

I've heard of some people getting them the week before boarding and others on arrival at the port. We booked the lowest class of minisuites on the epic and according to Travelocity there are no available cabins in our class. So... I'm hoping that means they'll have to move us up but that would just be to another mini. They are all located midship so there can't really be a stick us aft or far forward, at least not without bumping us down and that's the guarantee. So, we'll have to wait and see.

12+ cruises, ALL booked inside guarantee. We pay for the cheapest cabin, expect to get that, and have never been unhappy. With one exception, we've ended up with cabins that were 'upgraded' above the level for which we paid.

It's all dependent on your expectations and personal preferences / requirements.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Edited by jkgourmet

I booked a last minute inside guarantee on Oasis 2 weeks before sailing for our 10 year anniversary and we ended up with a boardwalk view balcony on deck 14! We were fine with the inside since it was such a last minute decision and pretty shocked when we got our cabin assignment. If we weren't a family of 5 I would have done the same thing for our family cruise in April on the Getaway. As long as you will be happy with the category you book you have nothing to loose:)

As long as you will be happy with the category you book you have nothing to loose:)

More importantly, you have to be happy with any room in the category you booked and all the categories above it.

If you're not picky about rooms, then go for it. If you have issues like sea-sickness or don't like being under/above noisy sections of the ship, not a good choice as you might end up there.

We are booked in our first guarantee for a fall New England/Canadian cruise on the dawn. We did that mainly because the balconies were so much more than we expected a 7 day to be, even for a popular destination, and because that was all our TA had for oceanview windows (non porthole) at the time. Plus, with the time of year being not exactly traditional balcony weather, we were okay with an oceanview when we booked it. I HOPE we are okay when we see it as well. I fully expect that on this particular cruise, our guarantee is going to be still an oceanview window in a less that desirable location, but I in no way expect it to be an upgrade.

I booked an obstructed ocean view OX GTY ocean view about 2 weeks ago on the Dawn and was just assigned a OG porthole cabin forward on Deck 4. It's an "upgrade" from the OX obstructed ocean view on Deck 8 with 4 other OV categories above it on the ship, all with windows. I'm not thrilled, but that's the gamble I took :o. There are more than 15 OB and 01 cabins left according to NCL so maybe they're softening me up and I'll be offered an upsell :p. In any case, I'll keeping my eye on the prices and I'm willing to pay a little bit more for an upgrade if it's offered or if the rates drop enough. If that doesn't materialize I'll make the best out of my OG porthole and enjoy the proximity to the forward elevator and departures door.

Booked the Dawn for the April repositioning cruise inside cabin really good price. I have been watching and was able to upgrade our friends and ourselves to balcony guarantees last week. We go our assignments today (really quickly I might add). We are both on deck 10 aft, they are they are 10722 and we are 10178, we are really pleased with our assignment and our friends are ok with theirs, just the luck of the draw.

My thought on booking a Guarentee is Be happy with the category you are choosing.

I have booked MANY guarentees on ships, and for me was very happy with most all of them.

Occasionally I was bumped up to another category of cabin IE mini suite and was happy, but really would have been fine with what I had.

Some times you don't get bumped up at all, and they put you where they want to. What they think is an upgrade, you may not.

But that said, I have had really good experiences doing it.

Most of all Have fun on your cruise!!

My thought on booking a Guarentee is Be happy with the category you are choosing.

I have booked MANY guarentees on ships, and for me was very happy with most all of them.

Occasionally I was bumped up to another category of cabin IE mini suite and was happy, but really would have been fine with what I had.

Some times you don't get bumped up at all, and they put you where they want to. What they think is an upgrade, you may not.

But that said, I have had really good experiences doing it.

Most of all Have fun on your cruise!!

Really good point!! A person books a 'guarantee' cabin pretty much at risk of the level you booked at. It is still really good...you are on a cruise. :D:D

We were booked in a GTY deck 7 balcony cabin on the POA last month. We were given our cabin assignment (deck 10 AFT balcony) 1 1/2 days prior to boarding. We were happy with the cabin and its location! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, we booked a Gty for the June 1st cruise in the med. We received our room assignment yesterday, 45 days out. I was surprised and pleased to have it settled. Our original booking was for a minisuite, least expensive level. We were assigned a minisuite at about midlevel so it worked out positively. Looks like all the possible upgrades are sold out.