Things I feel anxious about...

OldBoot

Its only about a month until I set sail on my first Mediterranean cruise. There is so much to look forward to! But I find myself feeling a little anxious at the same time. I wonder about the language barrier and how difficult it is to overcome it. I feel anxious about the warnings about pickpockets and how easily that could spoil a holiday. I'm uncertain about paying cash for most things in port--I am so used to the plastic economy that the idea of having cash on hand for most things seems quite weird. Anybody else having pre-travel jitters?

Relax! Language will not be a major issue. Yes, you will find some whose English is limited, but it will not be a big problem.

Worried about pickpockets? Get one of those security pouches that you wear around your neck, under your clothes. And, keep some used tissues in your pickets to "reward" anyone who does try to pick your pocket.

Plastic can be used in some major stores. But, having some local currency on hand, particularly Euros, will be most helpful, as you will find out.

Enjoy your adventure!

Keep a few small denomination notes and coins in your pocket even if you use the under clothes wallet. It saves you from having to dig into your stash in public.

Just keep an eye on your surroundings. We've never had any problems. One tip though: Make sure the local you're speaking to actually does understand you. A lot of people will smile and nod while not exactly getting what you say. DW asked a restaurant waitress in Santorini if there was a good place to go for an after dinner drink or a nightcap. The waitress called us a taxi. I guess nightcap and cab sounded the same. :)

we get some local money but use credit cards (Visa) when we can. Most of your countries use Euros--taxis, tour guides tips, local lunches, sm. grocery and drug store items. Get a bunch of Euros and keep most in your safe. No wallets in back pockets. Stay out of heavy crowds. pouches are good. Never show your cash in lg amts in public. Most people who want your business speak Eng. the language of business ( French Canadian?) Stay on main roads; no alleys. Be alert to your surroundings.

If we did it, you can also. We return again and again.

I'm in the same boat (haha) on all fronts. I will bring a few hundred euros in cash, plastic that I will try to use wherever I can, and the rest in euro traveller's cheques. The guest services desk will cash the travellers cheques so they are easy to use and very safe to carry.

I'm in the same boat (haha) on all fronts. I will bring a few hundred euros in cash, plastic that I will try to use wherever I can, and the rest in euro traveller's cheques. The guest services desk will cash the travellers cheques so they are easy to use and very safe to carry.

I checked in with HAL because I was thinking of doing the same. They will cash USD travellers cheques only. They can then exchange currency to Euros. I understand from what I've read that their exchange rate is not exactly economical. :eek:

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Forums mobile app

For cash, the easiest thing to use is an ATM card. There are banks everywhere - you can get out 100 euro at a time, or more, if you wish. Easy Peasy.! :) Enjoy your cruise.

Awesome. Was concerned about the max withdrawal limits, especially as we need to pay cash for private shoreex. I wonder if that max applies per debit card or per account? If both hubby and I try to withdraw 100 E for example, would the ATM only dispense 100 total?

I discovered on my second trip to Europe, that 'Pardon', 'Merci' with an american accent was an entre to anyone -- the recognized you were trying to tell them that you only were asking a question. I did this from Prague to Bucarest(sic) and managed quite well. They might have sneered at me behind my back but were always polite to my face.

I'm not sure about the maximum withdrawal limits - probably proportionate to your limits at home. When you call your bank to tell them that you will be in Europe and using your ATM (and/or credit) cards, you might ask.

We have cruised all over the Mediterranean for the past 20+ years. Always carry a small amout of local cash (now euros), never use credit cards in port only exception is at hotels.

My DH speaks French and Spanish, he is from Paris. Regardless, we find most folks speak enough English that we can get by. I have learned to write out addresses for taxis, they don't always understand my way of speaking. We have travelled to Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Turkey, Israel, Greece and Egypt.

We don't wear fancy jewelry or carry fancy cameras - don't carry much cash and do not walk in isolated areas, we also avoid crowds. So far we have never been victimized. That does not mean folks have not tried, be alert to scams... don't be drawn in to attempts to get you to pick up a ring on the ground, etc There are pickpockets out there. If approached just keep on walking.

Use common sense and pay attention like you would in any major city anywhere in the world.

The Mediterranean is a wonderful place to visit. Our next trip on a TA is in April, later in October we are going out of Rome.

Awesome. Was concerned about the max withdrawal limits, especially as we need to pay cash for private shoreex. I wonder if that max applies per debit card or per account? If both hubby and I try to withdraw 100 E for example, would the ATM only dispense 100 total?

I've only seen max withdrawal per account. The max is the same as at home (after conversion). We had trouble years ago because I was trying to get the equivalent of about $15 over my daily limit, and the error messages were ambiguous. So, if you think you're close to whatever your daily limit is, try lower first. You might check with your bank about the possibility of raising your daily limit.

Trish

I bought my husband a wallet with a belt loop attached to it. He slips it onto his belt and then tucks it inside his pants. It is a soft nylon so it is comfortable. I picked it up in a travel store and after initial resistance he quite likes it now. It is easy to flip out to take money from and nobody can snatch it from him as it stays attached to his belt.

Two traveling lessons I've learned in life. Didn't happen to me, but to work associates I was traveling with: (1) Do NOT feel sorry for anyone crying and saying they need money for the baby in their arms. As soon as you reach for baby money your purse or wallet, etc. will be gone in a flash. (2) Be wary of the person who tries to help you after "someone" runs by and squirts ketchup or similar on you. While the nice helper wipes off your shirt or coat with his hankie, he is also stealing everything in your pockets.

It's a sad commentary - but when traveling I trust no one.

Edited by Linda&Vern

I believe I should say Merci to everyone. The tip about keeping a used tissue in my pocket made me smile and instantly relaxed me. The tips about language were so helpful too. Thank you for the information that the daily ATM withdrawal limit being the same as at home-only converted to Euro. That makes it easier to plan for instead of worrying about some arbitrary local withdrawal limit. Merci, tout le monde.

Two traveling lessons I've learned in life. Didn't happen to me, but to work associates I was traveling with: (1) Do NOT feel sorry for anyone crying and saying they need money for the baby in their arms. As soon as you reach for baby money your purse or wallet, etc. will be gone in a flash. (2) Be wary of the person who tries to help you after "someone" runs by and squirts ketchup or similar on you. While the nice helper wipes off your shirt or coat with his hankie, he is also stealing everything in your pockets.

It's a sad commentary - but when traveling I trust no one.

Valuable lessons indeed. So glad none of this happened to you!

I would shy away from Euro-denominated Travelers Checks. Last August in Amsterdam, I had some that I had purchased a few years ago (American Express Travelers Checks) that I wanted to redeem for Euros. When I last tried to use them in restaurants in Rome in 2007, they were not accepted. I found a Travelex location at Central Station in Amsterdam and thought: good, I can get these things cashed. The clerk wanted to see my Passport; OK, no problem. She then wanted to see a receipt for my purchase of these checks! I bought these things in 2007! Whatever receipt my bank gave me is long gone! After some discussion, she relented and cashed them inspite of going against the "policy" she was supposed to follow. The fee I was charged was more than I thought it ought to be. But, I was glad to get rid of them and get some currency.

In retrospect, I think I ought to have tried to cash these at an Amsterdam bank.

Moral of the story: Travelers Checks are not the way to try to obtain cash outside of North America. And, even in North America, I have had people "turn up their noses" at them.

Obtaining some local currency before one leaves and depending upon ATMs and credit cards once overseas is the way to go, I think.

I would shy away from Euro-denominated Travelers Checks. Last August in Amsterdam, I had some that I had purchased a few years ago (American Express Travelers Checks) that I wanted to redeem for Euros. When I last tried to use them in restaurants in Rome in 2007, they were not accepted. I found a Travelex location at Central Station in Amsterdam and thought: good, I can get these things cashed. The clerk wanted to see my Passport; OK, no problem. She then wanted to see a receipt for my purchase of these checks! I bought these things in 2007! Whatever receipt my bank gave me is long gone! After some discussion, she relented and cashed them inspite of going against the "policy" she was supposed to follow. The fee I was charged was more than I thought it ought to be. But, I was glad to get rid of them and get some currency.

In retrospect, I think I ought to have tried to cash these at an Amsterdam bank.

Moral of the story: Travelers Checks are not the way to try to obtain cash outside of North America. And, even in North America, I have had people "turn up their noses" at them.

Obtaining some local currency before one leaves and depending upon ATMs and credit cards once overseas is the way to go, I think.

Thanks. I agree. I recently learned that the CAA (Canadian version of AAA) is no longer dealing in any travellers cheques. They appear to be going the way of the dinosaur.

First, I am sure that everything will be fine. Here are a couple of ideas that haven't been mentioned, I think. Make a picture of your passport. When in port take the Xerox of the passport and leave the original in your safe.

Let your bank and credit card providers know of your travel plans. Unlike others I use a credit card when for meals and shopping when in port since I am protected (beyond $50/transaction) if I notify the issuer promptly on return. The same is not true of a debit card. Don't use one. As for currency it is very easy to get out at any cash machine. If you feel uncomfortable taking out cash from a street ATM (outside a bank) so inside for help.

Everything will be fine if you use the same common sense that you do at home.

One last tip - Call each of your credit card companies and see what foreign exchange fees are charged. This is a fee in addition to the currency exchange fee. It can be as low as zero percent or as high as 3-5%. Obviously you want to use the card with the lowest fee.

Thanks to the OP for the post, as this is giving me great insight as well.

I recently used travellers cheques while in Asia (US cheques converted to whatever local currency was applicable) and cashed them aboard. I also brought cash.

The thing about ATMs is that you've got to find one, in an area in which you feel secure withdrawing funds. In addition, ATM fees at my bank are $5 per withdrawal + whatever rate of exchange is applicable. If you do this once in every port (to ensure you don't have a lot of cash at any one time), thats $60 for a 12 day cruise.

I think I'll bring some euros in cash and then take out some additional cash just in the ports where I need it (i.e. for private tours). My CC and a small amount of cash should suffice in other ports.

ok, travelling in the Med and Europe is easy IMO.

common sense - the same as you have here - only travel with the amount of currency you need, one credit card and (although some will disagree with me) no passport. Bring a copy if you like - your passport is your lifeline and if is stolen you are going to waste a lot of your time on your cruise fixing that.

Now, using common sense, the risk of theft is nominal. Avoid gypsies, anyone with flowers or herbs (along with the advice already given) and I think you should be fine.

Common sense works anywhere - love Europe and the Med - I think you will be SO happy you are doing this

ok, travelling in the Med and Europe is easy IMO.

common sense - the same as you have here - only travel with the amount of currency you need, one credit card and (although some will disagree with me) no passport. Bring a copy if you like - your passport is your lifeline and if is stolen you are going to waste a lot of your time on your cruise fixing that.

Now, using common sense, the risk of theft is nominal. Avoid gypsies, anyone with flowers or herbs (along with the advice already given) and I think you should be fine.

Common sense works anywhere - love Europe and the Med - I think you will be SO happy you are doing this

I am happy that I'm doing this...I just get these quiet little whispers of anxiety as I get closer to embarkation. Everyone's advice has been very helpful. And it sounds like from your post, that once I've "been there, done that" like you, I will understand how easy it is to travel the Med region with ease. Looking forward to that feeling. :)

If you know in advance what your private tours will cost, get that amount in Euros at home (always carrying it on your person or in the hotel safe) and leave in envelopes in your cabin, including the tip. Then you only need to use ATMs for additional cash. You will have banking fees for those transactions, might as well keep them to a minimum. I also had a problem with taking out my maximum one day in Spain at 4:30pm and needing additional the next day in France at 3:00pm, and I had exceeded my 24 hour limit. DRAT!

Try to pick up a few words of each language. The locals all know English, but are nicer to you if you try. There's and APP for that. I like the "France Dialog" or Italian Dialog" free apps. You can at least learn hello, goodbye, please, thank-you and where is the toilet?

Enjoy!

Please let us know if guest services charges a fee for your euro traveler's cheques. I have a feeling you won't receive €100 cash for €100 in traveler's cheques.

Edited by whogo