Can I book an "Accesible Room" even if I'm not disable?

Oh boy!

Please do not book this room just for the extra space. :( You would be keeping a disabled cruiser from cruising if you book this room. You have hundreds of cabins to choose from whereas a disabled cruiser only has 20 or so. Even less than that on some smaller ships. Majesty only has 4 accessible cabins!

Generally, the only exception is if its past final payment date for the cruise and the accessible cabins have been opened to everyone for booking. Then its fair game.

The difference between an acessible cabin and a regular cabin is the accessible cabin is generally 1.5 times the size of the regular cabin. it will have a wider entry door to the cabin and bathroom and the bathroom will be larger to accomodate wheelchairs. Also there is a roll in shower will grab bars etc.

If the cruise is only weeks away and an accessible cabin is open for booking then you are welcome to it. If the cruise is months away and you are booking it only for the extra room, please dont. :( If you book it anyway chances are you will be moved.

Edited by ryano

Maybe your question needs to be: SHOULD you book an accessible room even though you're not disabled?

If someone you're traveling with is disabled, yes. If it's after final payments are due and it hasn't been booked yet, you have that option.

I'll just say that as disabled cruisers, we need to book over a year in advance due to the scarcity of accessible rooms. Please keep this in mind.

To answer your question, accessible cabins are larger to accommodate wheelchairs. Bathrooms have roll-in showers, roll-under sinks and balconies have ramps and are larger as well.

Can I book an "Accessible Room" even if I'm not disable?

What is the difference between an accessible room and a regular one?

Can you?? Probably. Should you?? NO!!!!!!!!

The differences are: the door frames are wider, so an electric scooter, wheelchair or walker can go in without issue. The closets are a pull down bar, roll in showers with bench. Because of all the modifications and the need for more room to maneuver, the rooms are and at least half again the size of a standard room

There are VERY FEW handicap accessible cabin available. My son, who is wheelchair bound also loves to cruise but because of people with a similar mindset, there are seldom ones available.

So, your answer is as I posted above. I think very little of people who book them, just because they want the added space.. If you want more space, get a bigger cabin. It's the RIGHT THING to do.

Go ahead, start flaming away. :rolleyes:

Ive always had to fax a special needs form to the special needs department after reserving an accessible cabin.

Now whether or not they actually require it or do anything with said form is a different story.

I did a last minute balcony guarantee on Freedom. Best cabin ever, they gave me a handicap balcony. The cabin was the size of a large hotel room. The bathroom was very large. It was two weeks before travel. I would never purposely book one and take away from someone else. But it was a one time good deal.

I did a last minute balcony guarantee on Freedom. Best cabin ever, they gave me a handicap balcony. The cabin was the size of a large hotel room. The bathroom was very large. It was two weeks before travel. I would never purposely book one and take away from someone else. But it was a one time good deal.

Nice! :)

. If someone else provides a valid medical need for the room you will be bumped from the room and re-assigned to a regular room.

Unfortunately, I honestly dont believe this :( unless of course you mean booking it last minute after final payment date. I know people book these cabins because they are larger. Sadly, I even had a man tell me so on Radiance and he seemed proud of it. All I could do is :rolleyes: and roll away. I have NEVER read of anyone getting bumped out of one though.

Edited by ryano

Unfortunately, I honestly dont believe this. :( I know people book these cabins because they are larger. Sadly, I even had a man tell me so on Radiance and he seemed proud of it. All I could do is :rolleyes: and roll away. I have NEVER read of anyone getting bumped out of one though.

A TA booked my brother in one (not at his request). They thought they were doing my brother a favor by getting the "big room". He was bumped out of the room.

I think that if you are booked without need and they have nowhere to move you to a situation may arise where someone with genuine need can not be accommodated; late booking, etc.

I agree with the sentiment that RCI should require medical proof for these rooms to be booked at least until a certain point in time before "releasing" them for general booking to fill a ship (maybe 30 days??).

As it stands now though the answer is anyone can book, but understand and be prepared to be bumped out.

Unfortunately, I honestly dont believe this :( unless of course you mean booking it last minute after final payment date. I know people book these cabins because they are larger. Sadly, I even had a man tell me so on Radiance and he seemed proud of it. All I could do is :rolleyes: and roll away. I have NEVER read of anyone getting bumped out of one though.

Exactly, I have never read of anyone being bumped out of one either. It is an urban myth.

Exactly, I have never read of anyone being bumped out of one either. It is an urban myth.

You should have scrolled down further in that case because I personally know of an instance where it has happened.

You should have scrolled down further in that case because I personally know of an instance where it has happened.

I have a relative who had to fax some documentation to RCI in order to book this room, as they were in a wheelchair.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The good thing is, those of us that needs these cabins know its imperative that we book months in advance to get one.

The bad thing is, it pretty kills any chance at a "last minute" deal. I dont even bother reading the C&A sales paper anymore.:o

The good thing is, those of us that needs these cabins know its imperative that we book months in advance to get one.

The bad thing is, it pretty kills any chance at a "last minute" deal. I dont even bother reading the C&A sales paper anymore.:o

Don't give up on the last minute deal! They exist, not as frequently as other cabins, but they are out there. Did you ever book Enchantment or did you get locked out of a accessible cabin?

. Did you ever book Enchantment or did you get locked out of a accessible cabin?

We havent booked yet just because of that :o I knew it would probably be the case when someone offered to pay for me to go on a cruise! :D

We are looking at after the summer break is over now and thats ok by me! Probably early September and will be putting a deposit down real soon :) The plan is to go on the 4 night cruise then spend three or four days in Central FL where I grew up, visiting family and friends. Really looking forward to it!

I wouldnt do it . I do know our table mates on the Liberty in 2011, was upgraded to one a few days before crusing. The room was alot bigger. I couldnt book that room knowing that I could be keeping someone home who would have needed that space to able to go on that cruise. I cant imagine pushing a wheel chair threw a regular room

Edited by trev71

I wouldnt do it . I do know our table mates on the Liberty in 2011, was upgraded to one a few days before crusing. The room was alot bigger. I couldnt book that room knowing that I could be keeping someone home who would have needed that space to able to go on that cruise. I cant imagine pushing a wheel chair threw a regular room

You CAN'T push a wheelchair through a standard door. If you are lucky, you can remove one of the wheels, OR carry the person intro the room.. We have had to do this on a cruise. It isn't fun.. I BEG anyone reading this. If you don't TRULY need this type of cabin, PLEASE DON'T book it..

What is the difference between an accesible room and a regular one?

Just curious, do you park in a handicap space because it is available? Not sure what kind of question you are asking and I hope you are just joking.

Just curious, do you park in a handicap space because it is available? Not sure what kind of question you are asking and I hope you are just joking.

One would hope you were joking :o

Edited by TigerLady

We're on the fence w/ this. While we always book regular rooms, we're worried about using the shower and falling.

Personally, I think Royal would be smarter to put a lot more grab bars in the shower and tubs! DH is hesitant to use the tub unless the ship is in port. And he fell in the bathroom on Diamond Princess.

You CAN'T push a wheelchair through a standard door. .

Exactly. The entry door to a regular cabin is WAY too narrow to push a wheelchair through. Even if it werent, there is zero turnaround space and then there is the whole bathroom issue. Im pretty sure bathrooms in regular cabins have like a 4" step up into them anyway?

Being paraplegic and not having any use of my legs whatsoever, I cant even imagine the nightmare of trying to make a regular cabin work. :o I love cruising but I would just as soon stay home if that were the case.

Edited by ryano