Elite - afternoon tea timing

MGnut

I know elites can have afternoon tea delivered to their staterooms, but at what times can it be delivered? Can we request it at noontime? At 1:30PM? Or does it have to be only at the same time as the normal tea-time hours?

TIA

Howard

I know elites can have afternoon tea delivered to their staterooms, but at what times can it be delivered? Can we request it at noontime? At 1:30PM? Or does it have to be only at the same time as the normal tea-time hours?

TIA

Howard

The Elite tea has to be ordered a minimum of 6 hours in advance.

It is not just during the tea times in the DR. It does not have anything to do with that.

A server will come and give white glove service for your tea. It was really nice, lots of the same goodies that are at the reg tea.

Its a must do at least once.

We really enjoy the Elite/Suite tea served in the cabin. However,if there are two of you ordering the Elite/Suite tea in the cabin, we have found that they will bring enough for a hungry platoon. On our cruise in April, we intend to order tea for two and the accompanying food for one, it will still be more than we need or want.

The Elite tea has to be ordered a minimum of 6 hours in advance.

It is not just during the tea times in the DR. It does not have anything to do with that.

A server will come and give white glove service for your tea. It was really nice, lots of the same goodies that are at the reg tea.

Its a must do at least once.

Thanks for the fast reply. We'll try it on our Alaska cruise in May.

Howard

We really enjoy the Elite/Suite tea served in the cabin. However,if there are two of you ordering the Elite/Suite tea in the cabin, we have found that they will bring enough for a hungry platoon. On our cruise in April, we intend to order tea for two and the accompanying food for one, it will still be more than we need or want.

The pictures I've seen do look like enough for a squad, anyway - if not a whole platoon. We expect to ask our non-elite traveling companions to join us. I hope - since we only be getting 'tea for two', nobody will blast us for abusing our elite benefit. But I should probably put on my anti-flame vest just in case :D

Howard

I have had friends join us as there is far too much food and just ask room service for 2 extra cups.

It does have to be ordered 6 hours in advance and in order to have the fresh scones you should ask for delivery around the time tea is served in the MRD.

I've spent my last two cruises as Elite and have not done it, partly because I do try to watch my weight even aboard. But if I haven't done it by next January on my voyage on the Ruby, I'll invite my brother for tea (it will probably be his first Princess cruise) just for the experience.

The pictures I've seen do look like enough for a squad, anyway - if not a whole platoon. We expect to ask our non-elite traveling companions to join us. I hope - since we only be getting 'tea for two', nobody will blast us for abusing our elite benefit. But I should probably put on my anti-flame vest just in case :D

Howard

I would rather have some friends join us because there is so much to eat I would hate to waste any.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

We have ordered this several times, and agree, there is too much food! Invite a friend or two to share. :) As far as the white glove service, we haven't had that. Just regular room service, they bring the stacked trays and leave.

TIA

Howard

On our sailing the elite tea was only available from 3:30-5:30, and yes it has to be ordered at least 6 hours in advance. A word to the wise: don't order it on a day you have an early dining time scheduled! There was so much food we were STUFFED to the gills, and we didn't even eat half of it. Tried to stash the leftovers in the mini-frig but there's only so much storage space!! I honestly think our tea for 2 could have easily fed 4. But it's a fun perk anyway, so ENJOY :)

We have ordered this several times, and agree, there is too much food! Invite a friend or two to share. :) As far as the white glove service, we haven't had that. Just regular room service, they bring the stacked trays and leave.

Then that would not be the Elite tea service.

Then that would not be the Elite tea service.

We have never had a server stay either, just deliver the goodies and leave. We can barely make it clear to room service that we want the elite afternoon tea, not just a pot of tea. We have stayed in balconies, minisuites and suites. Even in suites it has sometimes been a challenge. What do you say to get the results you do, with white glove service in the stateroom?

Edited by ggprincess2004

We have never had a server stay either, just deliver the goodies and leave. We can barely make it clear to room service that we want the elite afternoon tea, not just a pot of tea. We have stayed in balconies, minisuites and suites. Even in suites it has sometimes been a challenge. What do you say to get the results you do, with white glove service in the stateroom?

When we order we have spoken with a room service supervisor usually.

We ask for the Elite tea service.

They bring the silver serving tower with all the goodies on it and the server stays puts down the white linen table cloth provides the tea service with white gloves and assists us with service. Its been this way everytime.

I think you are right when you say room service does not understand and just sends trays of tea/snacks. I don't know why it is so hard, its been offred for years. :rolleyes:

Do you give them the 6 hour notice or do they just show up?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Sums up our experience on three different ships. Way too much food for other than a small meal. Only ate half a dinner after tea.

We have ordered afternoon tea twice in our last three cruises. Both times we were Elite and in a full suite. They brought two full trays jammed with food for 4-6 people, but they just put down the trays and left like typical room service. There was no "white glove" service. There were items we didn't like and so much went to waste. If we do afternoon tea again we will probably go to the DR and select the items we want.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thank you all for the replies. We'll call early AM and see when is the earliest they can provide the Elite tea. Can you set it up the day before you want it delivered? That would be great, if you could do it.

Howard

We have ordered afternoon tea twice in our last three cruises. Both times we were Elite and in a full suite. They brought two full trays jammed with food for 4-6 people, but they just put down the trays and left like typical room service. There was no "white glove" service. There were items we didn't like and so much went to waste. If we do afternoon tea again we will probably go to the DR and select the items we want.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Did you just call room service and they brought it shortly after?

Did you give them the 6 plus hours notice?

If not I would think thats just room service.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Thank you for the answer to the question! We have ordered at least 6 hours in advance, i.e. calling by 9 am. From now on I will ask to speak with a supervisor! This summer we will sail for our 10th wedding anniversary and it would be a lovely little celebration for us. We will be in a suite, as we will be when we take my parents for their 60th wedding anniversary and our adult kids (my step-kids, but really, we don't use "step" when we talk about family) and their spouses join us. It would be so delightful to have everyone together after we depart Glacier Bay for afternoon elite tea in one of the suites, and have it served properly. I will definitely place these orders with a supervisor the day before!!!

It is also nice to know that we can request it earlier than the 3:30 tea time - didn't know that after all these cruises either. It would be the perfect thing when we return at an "awkward" time from going ashore. And talking to a supervisor probably means we can better control the quantity of food, perhaps limiting the sweets to just two scones, along with tea sandwiches. Thank you again!!!

I think if we encounter any difficulties with room service on future cruises, I will ask to speak with a supervisor. On our cruise this Feb, we were in a suite and we called to order luncheon off the dining room menu. They did not have the luncheon menu in the room service area. It was a fiasco, leaving us to eventually order off the room service menu, as by the time they returned our call the dining room was closed. I suppose we could have complained to a supervisor, but we did not. We just wrote it off as "one of those things", perhaps the young lady was new to Princess, perhaps the person responsible for making sure the dining room menus were there just hadn't done their job that day (the day after turnaround) - whatever. She did apologize profusely. Not worth complaining about.

On the other hand, the situation cannot be corrected unless a supervisor knows about it, so from now on we will make sure the supervisor has the opportunity to provide appropriate guidance to those who report to him/her.

Thank you for the answer to the question! We have ordered at least 6 hours in advance, i.e. calling by 9 am. From now on I will ask to speak with a supervisor! This summer we will sail for our 10th wedding anniversary and it would be a lovely little celebration for us. We will be in a suite, as we will be when we take my parents for their 60th wedding anniversary and our adult kids (my step-kids, but really, we don't use "step" when we talk about family) and their spouses join us. It would be so delightful to have everyone together after we depart Glacier Bay for afternoon elite tea in one of the suites, and have it served properly. I will definitely place these orders with a supervisor the day before!!!

It is also nice to know that we can request it earlier than the 3:30 tea time - didn't know that after all these cruises either. It would be the perfect thing when we return at an "awkward" time from going ashore. And talking to a supervisor probably means we can better control the quantity of food, perhaps limiting the sweets to just two scones, along with tea sandwiches. Thank you again!!!

I think if we encounter any difficulties with room service on future cruises, I will ask to speak with a supervisor. On our cruise this Feb, we were in a suite and we called to order luncheon off the dining room menu. They did not have the luncheon menu in the room service area. It was a fiasco, leaving us to eventually order off the room service menu, as by the time they returned our call the dining room was closed. I suppose we could have complained to a supervisor, but we did not. We just wrote it off as "one of those things", perhaps the young lady was new to Princess, perhaps the person responsible for making sure the dining room menus were there just hadn't done their job that day (the day after turnaround) - whatever. She did apologize profusely. Not worth complaining about.

On the other hand, the situation cannot be corrected unless a supervisor knows about it, so from now on we will make sure the supervisor has the opportunity to provide appropriate guidance to those who report to him/her.

Right! If they are just plopping it down shortly after being called then its just plain old RS. :(

After all if thats the service whats the point in calling it something totally different. May as well not have it available at all.

Both times we called in the morning with more than 6 hours in advance.

Last time we were in a Window Suite on the Grand. The person delivering the tea didn't know where the WS were and our order was over 30 minutes late even after two calls to Room Service :eek: Even had a problem booking our complementary first night dinner in the Crown Grill. The person at the desk first said that there were no cabins on Fiesta deck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Both times we called in the morning with more than 6 hours in advance.

Last time we were in a Window Suite on the Grand. The person delivering the tea didn't know where the WS were and our order was over 30 minutes late even after two calls to Room Service :eek: Even had a problem booking our complementary first night dinner in the Crown Grill. The person at the desk first said that there were no cabins on Fiesta deck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wow! I would say room service is not up to snuff as far as what they are required to do. Unbelievable.

We never have had "white glove" service when ordering Elite/Suite afternoon tea.

It always has been delivered right on time, (a time we specify - we like it in lieu of lunch so it never has been at tea time in the dining room), placed where we want it by a polite room service server who then leaves (with his tip) and we joyfully serve ourselves.

We probably will order the tea once or twice on our next month's TA with lots of sea days. The Elite/Suite benefit does not mention anything about "white glove" service. We neither need nor expect it.

Perhaps there is some confusion with the Princess Ultimate Balcony Dinner that does have special personalized course-by-course service.